LegacyGT.com

Oil temp gauge sensor best location?

I always thought the spot on the back of the block next to the turbo oil feed was the best location for temp and the front of the block underneath the alternator was best for oil pressure.

Open to corrections, I am often wrong.

I would think the oil pan about a 1 1/2" off the bottom.

Why do you think you need/want one.

These cars need to be driven on the highway for say 10 miles or so to boil the moisture out of the oil.

Those of us with high miles, have way fewer issues than people who don't drive the car for distances to get it hot.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I was lazy and just put all my gauge oil sensors (temp and pressure) on a sandwich plate.

Even if I dont track, I use the oil temp to let me know when oil is warmed up and I can start beating on it.

KillerBee also mentioned the oil pan drain as a good location for oil temp IIRC.

For coolant, I put the sensor on the upper rad hose.

Edited by Scubaboo

The OEM optional gauges use a sandwich adapter. Out of the three gauges, oil temp, oil pressure and boost, I use the oil temp the most. By the time I realize the oil pressure is too low, it would probably be too late anyway. With the temp I know when I can get into boost. It’s also interesting to see how the oil temp changes between the seasons. The engine really runs a lot hotter in the summer.

The OEM optional gauges use a sandwich adapter. Out of the three gauges, oil temp, oil pressure and boost, I use the oil temp the most. By the time I realize the oil pressure is too low, it would probably be too late anyway. With the temp I know when I can get into boost. It’s also interesting to see how the oil temp changes between the seasons. The engine really runs a lot hotter in the summer.

How long do you notice that it takes to get the oil up to boost-safe temps in the summer vs winter? Always been curious.

If you want something that’s a little better to alert you, you might want a gauge from Speedhut. They offer gauges that are programmable with a bright red LED that comes on the face of the gauge when it goes below your set point. I run their Oil Pressure gauge in my track car and the warning light really gets your attention when it lights up.

https://www.speedhut.com/gauge-application/classic-street-rod/classic-temperature-gauges/classic-oil-temperature-gauge/2-1-16-oil-temp-gauge-140-300f-w-warning/

Edited by shralp

If the oem gauges use a sandwhich adapter that's probably what I'll use. Would this work for the oil pressure and oil temp sensors?

How long do you notice that it takes to get the oil up to boost-safe temps in the summer vs winter? Always been curious.

I’d guess about 5 mins in the summer and 10 mins in the winter. Obviously, it depends on what the temperature is outside. I try and keep my engine under 3k RPM’s until the oil reaches 80c, which is its normally operating temp. The water temp comes up a lot quicker than the oil temp. It’s rare that I see oil temps over 100c but it has happened on very hot days in traffic.

If the oem gauges use a sandwhich adapter that's probably what I'll use. Would this work for the oil pressure and oil temp sensors?

Yes, the OEM sandwich adapter has two ports for the oil temp and oil pressure. It’s all kind of built as one unit though.

If you want something that’s a little better to alert you, you might want to a gauge from Speedhut. They offer gauges that are programmable with a bright red LED that comes on the face of the gauge when it goes below your set point. I run their Oil Pressure gauge in my track car and the warning light really gets your attention when it lights up.

https://www.speedhut.com/gauge-application/classic-street-rod/classic-temperature-gauges/classic-oil-temperature-gauge/2-1-16-oil-temp-gauge-140-300f-w-warning/

This makes sense. I know the pressure can fluctuate quite a bit though. I’ve seen my car go to low pressure on the highway before, which seems to be normal so I wonder what you would set the alarm to.

I’d guess about 5 mins in the summer and 10 mins in the winter. Obviously, it depends on what the temperature is outside. I try and keep my engine under 3k RPM’s until the oil reaches 80c, which is its normally operating temp. The water temp comes up a lot quicker than the oil temp. It’s rare that I see oil temps over 100c but it has happened on very hot days in traffic.

Yes, the OEM sandwich adapter has two ports for the oil temp and oil pressure. It’s all kind of built as one unit though.

This makes sense. I know the pressure can fluctuate quite a bit though. I’ve seen my car go to low pressure on the highway before, which seems to be normal so I wonder what you would set the alarm to.

I was curious when you get to operating temp also. Perpetual summer here and it takes 10mins to get to 70c on my usual 0w40 or 5w40 synthetic fill. I do have a 16 row Setrab oil cooler with a 100c thermostat with the idea it only fully opens when needed, but this like most thermostats always have a little flow to the cooler and I did notice that little flow is enough to change oil temps even before thermostat opening.

I did install the oil temp gauge before adding the oil cooler but I'd forgotten to time warm up to 70c before adding the cooler.

One thing I havemt experienced is low pressure on highway though. Only in certain situations at low idle at a stop in very high temps.

Because its a track car I set the warning light to come on when the pressure is still fairly high as my concern is something happening when I'm at high rpm when I need solid pressure under high loads. Its always on when I'm at an idle as that's not a critical point for the car. You'd want to set it high enough so you have plenty of warning, i.e. - well before any OEM idiot lights come on but probably not as high as I have mine.

Well I have the H6 and the H6 gets hot at idle because the stock water pump doesn't circulate the coolant enough which causes the engine to overheat into 3/4 range on the temp gauge. I'm gonna add this https://www.defi-shop.com/products/din/feature_din/

Do you have a good source for the Defi gauges? I don’t see a way to purchase from the Defi shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk