LegacyGT.com

Oil filter.

Just curious what oil filter everyone is using. I did a search, but could not filter through all the odd threads.

I was kind of thinking about using a filter for an older model that is a little bit larger in volume. Just wondering if everyone uses the "micro" filter that is spec'ed for our cars or if anyone uses the larger canister. :confused:

If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

I've considered using the OEM RX8 filters, but I get lazy and just use cheap filters. In all the miles I've put on them over 7 years, I've never had an issue.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I've used a variety of filters, but I prefer to use oem subaru now because of paranoia over the higher bypass pressure spec. Wix/Napa now makes a filter that meets this higher bypass psi, and fram makes a filter that sort of meets it as well. So I may try them sometime if i can get a good deal, otherwise I plan on sticking to oem.

Not so much talking "BRAND" of filter. I run Amsoil filters and oil. I was wondering on using a "LARGER" filter. The filter for a 98 Outback is a much larger body than the 05 LGT filter. Just curious if anyone uses a bigger filter?
If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

Not so much talking "BRAND" of filter. I run Amsoil filters and oil. I was wondering on using a "LARGER" filter. The filter for a 98 Outback is a much larger body than the 05 LGT filter. Just curious if anyone uses a bigger filter?

You can run Amsoil Ea15k20 (short like OEM, but more then a 1" bigger around) & Ea15k13 (like OEM, but 50% taller). I run both of this filters in my LGT ( 30k-73k) At 73K, my filtration I switch to. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ons-81741.html My oil system now is 7qt. And on my G/F's 05 WRX ( 30k-150k & counting) Now I only use Ea15k13 on her car.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Purolator PureOne PL14612 (standard micro). I stick with the micro because my car sits nice and low, and I don't want a standard-sized one to rip off over a bump.

There was almost always a drop of oil on my OEM blue filters, but not so much with the PureOne. Plus they have a textured body, which makes it easy to tighten down and then take off when the time comes.

Side note, I ran strictly OEM blues on my LGT, but switched to the Purolator for my WRX.

It's cool; I'm with the band

I bought this...I love it! Easy to clean and slightly larger than the OEM filter. Fitment is perfect and it is still far enough away from the headers.

http://www.frsport.com/K-N-SS-1008-Reusable-Oil-Filter-Scion-FR-S-Subaru-BRZ-Impreza-WRX-Sti_p_37903.html?gclid=CO3K1_-nv7ICFYeDQgodaBYAmw

That looks like a stupid idea.

And $200? No thanks. I'll stick to $4 filters. I can buy 50 of them for the cost of one of yours.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

That looks like a stupid idea.

And $200? No thanks. I'll stick to $4 filters. I can buy 50 of them for the cost of one of yours.

:yeahthat: I use either Fram ToughGard or Purolater (yellow) which ever is on sale the day of the oil change. Never had a problem, besides the blatant failures of an oil filter cited, you can go wrong. And dont waste $200 on a oil filter if you change you oil 3 time a year @ $6 filter it would take a decade to make that worth it and I doubt after that long it would be of much use.

I've considered using the OEM RX8 filters, but I get lazy and just use cheap filters. In all the miles I've put on them over 7 years, I've never had an issue.

I'm using said OEM RX8 Filters. No problems other than its a bit longer than subaru OEM. Costs less than a Mobil 1 filter or KN though, and if the subaru blacks are worth their weight then I suppose I'm alright with mazda blacks..

Subaru OEM exclusively. I would trust a Bosch, they are one of the only aftermarket filters that list a different number for turbo and NA engines. Mobil 1 offers a different turbo number also.

That said I had good luck with the PureOne Purolators. Purolator is coming out with a new line.... better than PureOne, exclusively for synthetic oil.

Archived