LegacyGT.com

OEM Satellite Radio install

Zeta30

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased an '09 OBXT and as you can tell am new to the group.

I wanted XM Satellite installed but my dealer wasn't budging off their price of $580 installed.

So I bought one through an internet dealer for $330 and installed it myself.

It's a very easy job, you should be able to do it in about 60 minutes if you take your time.

Pros:

-Integrates very nicely in to the stock head unit

-The sound is much nicer than my prior car where I had to use the FM modulator.

Cons:

-I really don't like the huge antennae stuck to the windshield. You can't see it from the outside and I am slowly not noticing it from the inside.

-The head unit only has a 10 digit display. I really wish the display would scroll the longer names like a ticker

Here is the install procedure with photos. The steps are the same for a Legacy as it was for my OBXT.

I can also post the individual photos if someone wants them

OEM Satellite Radio Install small file.pdf

a PDF walk through of the Install... Nice!

I'm not sure if the factory antenna will fit... but my Sportster's antenna is IN the 3rd brake light cover... :)

If the Factory XM reciever you just installed uses a standard XM plug for the antenna... go buy the small magnetic disc that goes on top of your car roof, and toss it in the 3rd brake light. Works like a charm.

that one looks like 3 times the size of mine, and mine barely fits.

Hijacked a pic real fast.

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/5871/antennanr3.jpg

The OEM antennae wire is only 2' long and I didn't feel like buying another one. I have two other antenna's that came with my portable units but the connectors on those are different than the ones on the factory receiver.

that PDF doesnt work for me, is the link still current?

i just pulled it up now. maybe site had issues earlier.

The OEM antennae wire is only 2' long and I didn't feel like buying another one

it's only 2 feet? I just reopened the PDF, now i see the antenna is on pass side front window... Wow. i'd think they would have given a longer cable. Too bad none of the other antenna would work.

it's only 2 feet? I just reopened the PDF, now i see the antenna is on pass side front window... Wow. i'd think they would have given a longer cable. Too bad none of the other antenna would work.

I did some research on this after I installed it. My portable stereos I have in my other cars were pretty old school. You can buy longer antennas with the same connector as what was with the Subaru OEM unit.

Here's what they look like and a link where you can get them.

http://store.xmfanstore.com/blitzsafemicro.html

yhst-67720110273938_2026_12064627.jpg.a7acc9f88642434b8a7dcbbb739cc069.jpg

I did some research on this after I installed it. My portable stereos I have in my other cars were pretty old school. You can buy longer antennas with the same connector as what was with the Subaru OEM unit.

Here's what they look like and a link where you can get them.

http://store.xmfanstore.com/blitzsafemicro.html

Does anyone know if this will work for the factory installed Sirius head unit? I *hate* that stupid antenna stuck to the inside of the windshield. Plus, I live in a very hilly area and lose reception constantly (albeit for only a second or two). My thoughts are that if the antenna were outside (or at least pointing straight upwards from the rear deck of the vehicle), I wouldn't get the random outages as much...

Thank you!

Zim

zimbonies,

I did some research for you on your question. The answer is there is no clear answer. It seems that about half the people on the sat radio forums have no problems using an XM antennae with a Sirius radio while the other half does. There are plenty of people who say they have had no problems doing it though.

Some people are saying that since the Sirius satellites are higher up than XM's the XM antenna's can't pick them up, while other people say that's rubbish.

Probably the safest thing to do is to just but a magnetic Sirius antennae. You can buy one with the clip in the photo that I posted above. You may need to modify the clip a bit to get it to fit though.

Thank you for the information Zeta, and thank you for researching it for me. Unfortunately I am not very good at modifying things, so until I find something that is a sure-fire fit, I probably will just stick with what I have.

Thank you again!

Zim

• 4 months later...

Archived