LegacyGT.com

OBXT and LGT shock lengths?

How is the height gained in the OBXT suspension? Mounting points different or strut lengths?

Am I correct in thinking that the OBXT and LGT have different shock lengths.

I believe that Drewster has LGT Coilovers on his OBXT and that the only restriction is that it does not allow the same maximum height as stock.

Basically, I have a set of LGT coilovers available. I want to lower the OBXT. Are there any restrictions to doing this.

Cheers!

so far as least for obxt owners who post on this board, i think it has been found that the cusco and gpmoto legacy coilovers work with the obxt and the zeal required some modification, what modification i don't recall. You will be the first to try it with the ksports. Order a set of legacy rear bump stops to replace the ones in the obxt. The mounting points are the same so the height difference must be from the strut length.

you only need to replace the one's in the rear. I don't have the part # here but the description of the bump stop in Subaru speak is "helper" and should run about $14 for the pair. Probably need to special order from the dealer, don't see why they would keep something like that in stock.

height is not only from the struts front and rear, there are also sub frame spacers, looks to be a bit over an inch. These are found front and rear, and the suspension geometry is a bit different. The cusco front lower arm bars will not fit due to this alteration and spacing of the sub frame. The rears will fit, but there are still spacers in the subframe to gain the extra height. The bump stops Andrew is talking about are about 1.2" different in overall height, so that also makes up for some of the swing arm.

Hello,

Quick side-track question: what's the difference between an LGT and an OXT so that people want to get OXTs and drop them? I know for 2006, the OXT will be the only way to get a manual turbo wagon, but for previous years, why do people get OXTs and lower them, instead of starting with an LGT?

I'm not being facetious, I'm seriously just curious. I'm about to add an OXT to my stable but only because the STi doesn't do too well once the rocks on the dirt roads get more than 4-5 inches tall... and my friends would kill me if I lifted the STi :)

In fact, I might just get rid of the STi all together since I don't track it and I spend most weekends in the backcountry.

Joel Gat

Crew Chief

Sheehan Motor Racing

Joel,

Welcome - a real blast from the past (Simon's list).

Most of the very few people who have lowered Outbacks have done so because they couldn't find thecolor combination they wanted in a Legacy or they were in a hurry (I am thinking of Chucktoo here) or they justlike the way the Outback looks. The conversion obviously requires different shocks and springs. There are also different support brackets that chane the relationship of the suspension to the chassis which makes up part of the height difference.

The brakes are different as well.

Others know a lot more about this then I do, and I am sure they will chime in.

Joel,

We have a 97LGT that is lowered. I have never seen a older OB lowered.

We had to go with an 05 OBXT as we could not find a LGT in our desired spec 5MT wagon west of the mississippi and in 06 there is no 5MT. Unfortunate, but now we get to have something a bit different I guess. Love the Soob, wish that SOA loved us wagon-loves back.

Immediate mods to bring us to the basic LGT level are:

new wheels and tires (you think the stock tires are bad on the LGT, add soft suspension and some 2" of height. I feel like we will either roll the car or roll the tire. Memories of rolling Fords immediately come to mind when I drive this thing around a corner)

swaybars

Coilovers

brake pads, lines and fluid

Then the fun mods begin.

Hello,

Hahah... eVoMotion - the reason my STi doesn't see the track and won't be seeing it is that I'm building a SpecMiata for racing. I see you have a potential SpecMiata :)

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand why Subaru is moving away from the performance enthusiasts (no MT in LGT Wagons?!?!) - I'm certain most people don't think of Subaru as a premium brand.

RAO! Long time, for sure...

Thanks for y'allses inputs.

Joel

A year ago all we could get was OBXTs in Mass.

My lowered OB it is just above stock GT height - if I want even larger tires than the 245/45/18s they can hang out on an OB.

Autocross and track is just for play in an OB it would bea joke but Fun.

Drag racing that could be interesting but you can not go less than 11.5 except once without a cage.

Bottom line just a fun car to play with and the ultimate sleeper.

Hello,

Woohoo! Just added a 2005 Atlantic Blue Outback XT Limited to the garage. The '06s were at the dealership, so the '05 sold for $2k below invoice ($1k of which was rebate from Subaru).

Finally, some respite for my 2005 STi. 24k miles in a year, about 3-5k of which were offroad!

To get back on topic, anyone know the fully extended and shock-body lengths of the LGT? I'll measure the OXT tomorrow, while I poke around to familiarize myself with the car.

Joel

Congrats and welcome!

Your profiles does not show where you are located.

You will find that most parts are the same on the OBXT and LGT - suspension, brake size, final gear drive and body excepted - so many OBXT owners post into the LGT pages.

Go to the suspension forum and ask your question.

Hello,

Ahh, yeah, I didn't throw in the whole introduction... I'm actually quite familiar with Subarus. I'm the crew chief for Sheehan Motor Racing. For three years, we ran Subaru's factory road racing program.

It won't be but a few weeks before I'll have gone over every part in the car with a fine tooth comb :)

Joel

Chucktoo

How much more room do you have to lower with your current setup?

I just read that Keefe thinks that Drift Monkey's Ksport coilover setup on his LGT is too low potentially bottoming out the shock. I know that an OBXT will not get down to a low LGT, but I am curious to see how low we can go.

We have not see pics of your car. Would it be similar to Drewster's in height?

A year ago all we could get was OBXTs in Mass.

My lowered OB it is just above stock GT height - if I want even larger tires than the 245/45/18s they can hang out on an OB.

Ah...just read your bio from 2003 on the SMR site. Good to have you on our side.

Hello,

Ahh, yeah, I didn't throw in the whole introduction... I'm actually quite familiar with Subarus. I'm the crew chief for Sheehan Motor Racing. For three years, we ran Subaru's factory road racing program.

It won't be but a few weeks before I'll have gone over every part in the car with a fine tooth comb :)

Joel

Archived