LegacyGT.com

Not sure what to look for regarding wheels! Help?

Hey guys ive asked a question about wheels before, but i guess i wasnt too specific with what i wanted out of them.. right now i have my eyes on some Motegi MR131's w/bronze finish wondering if i should stick with stock size or maybe go up to 18s. Have an 05LGTLimited. (Rims currently need replacing due to 3 of them being bent.

Ive looked at the 'offset' forum for tips and more detailed info on what i would want but might not have dug deep enough to fully understand it.

I dont think this car will see a track anytime too soon, so this will remain daily driven.. but not exactly "babied" while im cruising so im looking foreward to a noteable difference in my handling.. πŸ€” I hope i dont sound super scrub.. ive had this car for a good 5-6 months, and ive upgraded from. 2.3 honda prelude that i never got around to building BUT learned a bit of diy mechanitry.

Β 

If anyone has expertise on wheel reviews, how to's, do's and dont's please get back at me.. thanks πŸ™ŒπŸΌπŸ‘‹πŸΌπŸ‘ŒπŸΌβœŒπŸΌπŸ’ͺ🏼

1. How did you bend your current rims? Are they OEM?

2. If you bent your OEM 17s, stick with 17s. The larger sidewall will help with bends.

3. Motegi's seem to be good cheap rims. One other user with an Outback is running the 18s, but because he has an Outback he is running them with giant tires (255/45/18).

Β 

I think you might be in the realm of you don't know what you don't know. Because I am unsure what question you are asking.

Did you read this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/faq-offsets-sizes-rims-and-tires-gt-xenonk-version-4426.html

and

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/thinking-going-18s-17s-256342.html

Current rims bent due to a slide into a curb during snowy conditions (had too much fun)

The first link i looked at which is the forum i was reffering to in the post

Although i havent seen that second thread which ill read up on in the next few hours after work.

Basically was wondering if Motegi was trustee enough (if that couldve been formed as a question) i suppose the main and better question would be what type of tire i should get .. brand-wise ive seen great things about michellin.

But the questions can go on.. im not looking to trick out the body (rolling fenders wouldnt be wanted at this point) i want a decent looking rim with fitting tires that dont involve modding the ride height, wheel spacing, etc..

I hope thats a better form of question/need for help

If we're staying at stock ride height, an oem wheel is always preferred IMO. Anything bigger is going to look weird. Try finding some 2011+ Wrx rims or the lgt rims are pretty common and cheap.

Shit PS type of summer tires!! NOT all seasons

Are you saying you're looking to choose some summer/performance tires because you have winter tires or live in a warm climate?

Β 

Michelin makes good tires but there are tons of other performance tire options. I'm not really sure what they are. I usually just go to Discount Tire and see what my options are and they tell me what will fit or what won't using their mysterious computer.

Β 

I moved didn't know what I was doing when I bought wheels for my car. I bought gold Konig Runlite wheels ( 18x8, 35mm offset with 225/40/18 tires ). Discount Tire said they wouldn't rub but when I tried to leave the parking lot the rear fender rubbed over small bumps so I had to roll the rear fenders on the spot with the rubber handle of a mini sledge hammer I had in my trunk. :)

Β 

They've been great ever since. That was on stock suspension. Now the car is lowered on coilovers and the wheels/tires still fit fine. I wish the tires were a pinch wider though relative to the width of the wheel.

Β 

Here's a few pictures for reference of the wheels/tires from when I was on stock suspension.

IMG_6858scaled.thumb.JPG.5b247e8c20a044e18d0da5704b28e1ce.JPG

IMG_6857scaled.thumb.JPG.5abcf83266549a88c7a58171ab730feb.JPG

Are you saying you're looking to choose some summer/performance tires because you have winter tires or live in a warm climate?

Β 

Michelin makes good tires but there are tons of other performance tire options. I'm not really sure what they are. I usually just go to Discount Tire and see what my options are and they tell me what will fit or what won't using their mysterious computer.

Β 

I moved didn't know what I was doing when I bought wheels for my car. I bought gold Konig Runlite wheels ( 18x8, 35mm offset with 225/40/18 tires ). Discount Tire said they wouldn't rub but when I tried to leave the parking lot the rear fender rubbed over small bumps so I had to roll the rear fenders on the spot with the rubber handle of a mini sledge hammer I had in my trunk. :)

Β 

They've been great ever since. That was on stock suspension. Now the car is lowered on coilovers and the wheels/tires still fit fine. I wish the tires were a pinch wider though relative to the width of the wheel.

Β 

Here's a few pictures for reference of the wheels/tires from when I was on stock suspension.

Β 

Β 

Yes summer performance, probably nothing too incredible though.. i actually live in colorado. (They werent kidding about subarus awd 😱) my main thought was to get the wheels to give the car a slightly better look and maybe knock off some pounds (i know its not drastic) i really should save money and buy all the parts i want at the same time, but here i am 26, acting like a 16 yr old that hust wants shit now πŸ˜‚ Ill admit im impatient. But all that aside ill check out a few local wheel/tire shops and see what would be best πŸ‘ŒπŸΌ

Risen why not just get new OEM wheels to place yours? It will be the cheapest option if you find them used.

Β 

I mentioned a little above, but i thought the newer rims would give the car a better appearance. But i was late on reading about offset wheels after i chose the look that caught my eye. The suby dealer quoted 400$ for each, and im nervous to check craigslist cause of dishonest people.. ive had my fair share of used goods from other people

I suppose it wouldnt hurt to at least check.

Hey guys ive asked a question about wheels before, but i guess i wasnt too specific with what i wanted out of them.. right now i have my eyes on some Motegi MR131's w/bronze finish wondering if i should stick with stock size or maybe go up to 18s.

Β 

With 18" wheels you'll have to use a shorter tire, which will affect ride comfort. It will (probably) be heavier as well. I like my 17's because I can run a taller tire. consider an 8" wide wheel (17 or 18) with offset in the 48mm range. Rota Gravels come to mind and they look good on the Legacy.

Β 

If we're staying at stock ride height, an oem wheel is always preferred IMO. Anything bigger is going to look weird. Try finding some 2011+ Wrx rims or the lgt rims are pretty common and cheap.

Β 

True, the wrx rims can be had for cheap ($200-300) but the offset is a bit high at 53 and requires some trimming in the rears, not ideal.

With 18" wheels you'll have to use a shorter tire, which will affect ride comfort. It will (probably) be heavier as well. I like my 17's because I can run a taller tire. consider an 8" wide wheel (17 or 18) with offset in the 48mm range. Rota Gravels come to mind and they look good on the Legacy.

Β 

Β 

Β 

True, the wrx rims can be had for cheap ($200-300) but the offset is a bit high at 53 and requires some trimming in the rears, not ideal.

Β 

I've never personally tried them but it seems that others are running them with out any issues with reasonable tire sizes.

Β 

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2011-wrx-wheelsi-153935.html

I despise that thread for misleading me :lol:

Β 

There was obvious contact with my 225/45/17 tire just accelerating slowly, It was loud and irritating. I had to cut a 2"x2" square of fender liner to make it stop.

Β 

It still bugs me that about cutting that. Going to patch it and get a different wheel anyway.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Thanks bud, duely noted.. ill stick with 17s

But ill keep on the research too! If theres any other points im forgetting feel free to give some criticism. I cant get over this whole car scene thing πŸ˜‚πŸ˜œπŸ€˜πŸ»πŸ€™

I cant get over this whole car scene thing

Β 

I don't see myself ever getting over it either. It's nice to have something different that you can be proud of. You look at all the people spending 20-30k on a civic "turbo" and wonder if they really enjoy their FWD cookie cutted half ass attempt at being aggressive. The only cars I would think could replace my Leggy are upwards of $40,000.

Β 

There's some criticism, albeit a little off topic.

Β 

Maybe Buy a good 225 width tire for now and it will fit whatever 17" dia. 8" wide wheel you choose in the future.

I cant get over this whole car scene thing

Β 

I don't see myself ever getting over it either. It's nice to have something different that you can be proud of. You look at all the people spending 20-30k on a civic "turbo" and wonder if they really enjoy their FWD cookie cutted half ass attempt at being aggressive. The only cars I would think could replace my Leggy are upwards of $40,000.

Β 

Β 

Maybe Buy a good 225 width tire for now and it will fit whatever 17" dia. 8" wide wheel you choose in the future.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Wouldnt mind testing out a GT3/RS 😌

Β 

Thats cool though dude, appreciated! thanks for the input.

Archived