LegacyGT.com

Noisy deceleration while in gear - why??

I just changed the clutch on the 06 myself. I put a resurfaced FF502 flywheel, brand new exedy stage 1 pressure plate and clutch disk. Also installed the TSK3 kit. Made sure I lubed all the appropriate components. Also installed new oem pilot bearing, new fork, and pivot ball.

So, when I am decelerating (while in 2nd or 3rd gear), something is noisy between 2 and 3k rpm. In other gears, you may barely hear it. Almost nothing.

Here is a sound clip. Please use headphones. That may help.

So any idea? Before the clutch swap, sound was not there. Now it is. I have already done about 320 miles and the car drives and shifts just fine, except this annoying decel noise while in gear.

This is my 2nd clutch job. On the first one, the same sound developed but driveability is just fine. I must have been doing something wrong though no? :confused:

That sounds terrible.

This happened the first time you did a clutch? What did you do to fix it?

My first thought is something that hits the right harmonics at that rpm. If you run through the revs with the clutch disengaged does it do that? There weren't balance marks on the pressure plate and flywheel where there? Everything torqued correctly to the right amount in a star pattern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the 1940's truck tranny a lot of us have talked about for years. My wagon has been doing that for about 12 years or more.

Don't worry,

My fluid is clean every time I check it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Welcome to the 1940's truck tranny a lot of us have talked about for years. My wagon has been doing that for about 12 years or more.

Don't worry,

My fluid is clean every time I check it.

?!?! Seriously? It sounds like the death of 1000 cuts. I mean I believe you just jeez. Some of the noises these cars make seems bizarre.

This happened the first time you did a clutch? What did you do to fix it?

I did nothing. Left it alone. That was on the 05. It's now been 30K. Not as loud anymore and drives just fine.

The video I posted is for the 06. Installed the same clutch set up as the 05. Has this noise but, as I said, drives and shifts just fine. Feels like I drive a rally car :lol:

Not a heat shield is it?

I don't think so.

Bahaha well good to know it's not a problem. Same flywheel in the 05? I wonder if it's a specific issue with that clutch. Although maxcapacity runs the Spec clutch so I guess not.

Yeah. Exact same set up.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ rally cars are cool so....

Would be very interested to know why though. My trans is making some noises that I'm hoping will be resolved with a new axle but if not I'm just going to run it until I can't. Sounds like it might actually be the diff in mine.

If yours sounds like a whine as you accelerate and decelerate, then it could be the center diff. Hopefully not though. I blew one center diff once most likely due to mismatched tire thread depth. Not to hard to swap diff, but still 500$ the part...

I'm looking to swap to a replacement trans at some point. It does whine on accel and decel. Worse under power but also does it in nuetral. I keep reading various opinions like these transmissions are noisy. I also have an aftermarket cv axle with play in it from the po.

Also at low speeds (5mph) it's more a squeal than a whine. Tires should be fairly new but maybe I should measure the tread depth. Don't want to make it worse. At $500 though why not swap to a used trans or upgrade to a better front diff?

Edit: I guess the bump up to $1300 for a front helical lsd is quite a bit of money. I thought you could get a quaife for under 1k but maybe I'm crazy.

Edited by Nonamedude

Yeah these things are noisy, I have learned to put the tranny in neutral when I know the road, if I'm going to a stop sign or whatever.

There's even a long downhill on the highway on my DD to work where I coast in neutral.

I'll add that after a few years, I think it's been 4 since the center diff leaked and took out the bearings, the tranny is a little louder in 5th on the decel at those rpm's

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just listened to this again as I've been driving a lot the past few days. Listened to it on a nice Bluetooth speaker this time instead of the iPhone itself.

Mine makes that noise (in addition to other likely more concerning noises) I have an excedy oe clutch and flywheel. I'm glad to hear maxcapacity say it's fine because I was just hoping whatever it was would hold together long enough to fix it.

Mine ALSO makes some whining noises and other things though.

Lol quiter, faster, roomier, more fun, more comfortable than my clapped out civic. For me it's an upgrade in everything but fuel economy and expense.

Forgot to ask what exhaust that was. I want more rumble. Was thinking a custom cat back might honestly be best for rumble but quiet and downturned tips.

Forgot to ask what exhaust that was. I want more rumble. Was thinking a custom cat back might honestly be best for rumble but quiet and downturned tips.

I forgot to reply to this. I have a hi-flow catted DP with a 3" Stromung catback set up. It sounds great but it's loud :spin:.

I just read your other post. I didn't realize you had two obxt!

I'm likely just going to have to do a custom exhaust eventually because I don't really want to lose ground clearance and I don't have the money to have a jdm rear bumper. It's a crime we didn't get bumper cut outs.

I currently have the stock bumper on it. And it is melted. Looks so ugly. I bought a jdm bumper like 2.5 years ago and have YET to paint it and install it!

If you can snag a set of AVO mufflers, then you'd be just fine for the outback (turned down tips). My 05 has actually more clearance than stock too, so I can play in the mud :spin:.

• 3 weeks later...
I just read your other post. I didn't realize you had two obxt!

I'm likely just going to have to do a custom exhaust eventually because I don't really want to lose ground clearance and I don't have the money to have a jdm rear bumper. It's a crime we didn't get bumper cut outs.

Can you post a pic of your Stromung exhaust? I’m interested if you’re planning to go a don’t route.

I have an Exedy Stage 1 clutch and Exedy Stock WRX single mass flywheel installed along with Group N Transmission and Engine mounts (kept stock Pitch mount). The deceleration noise is significant.

This was just installed replacing stock clutch, dual mass flywheel, and worn out original mounts.

Edited by ashwinearl