LegacyGT.com

Noise after Radiator cracked

Hello!

So, girlfriend's Legacy Outback '97 2.5L had a large crack appear on the radiator. She had to drive a couple miles with the cracked radiator (Should she not have done that? Did she damage the engine?)

I replaced it and the thermostat (dealt with a stripped out thread where the thermostat housing bolted on) and now when we drive it, there is this very loud grinding noise, particularly when in reverse. I'm going to make a video of it tomorrow but I wanted to know if anyone has any ideas without it.

Thanks!

If those are the two smaller diameter hoses that go to the side of the radiator, yeah, they definitely ended up on the correct nipples of the radiator and they are tight. What else should I look at with them in particular?

And it is an automatic, sorry. Thanks for your reply!!

My understanding is that the moment the radiator blew, the gauge went into the red. She stopped, let it cool down, then drove a couple miles home. So yes, for all intents and purposes, she drove a couple miles (2 or 3) with it on red.

And nothing I can see is hitting them. I don't think they are even kicked on yet when the noise is happening. As seen in the video, the noise occurs as we turn, going forward or backwards, but not if going straight and accelerating.

Thanks!

Archived