LegacyGT.com

No bueno!! Subaru Specialties (Scott Dana Boyd)

bergs

Dearest forum members,

Recently I had an extremely poor dealing regarding a Subaru engine rebuild/ replacement for one of my Legacy GT's. As it turns out Scott has a history of ripping people off. This thread serves as my warning to you.....save yourself the hassle and go elsewhere.

Subaru Specialties/ Scott Dana Boyd operating out of the greater Lowell, Mass area.

My CL ad has been copied below for your reference.

Dear reader,

If you are considering using "Subaru Specialties" or "Dana", the person who wrote the ad I've copied below, consider looking elsewhere.

My story goes like this:

--I signed a contract with "Dana" to have my Legacy engine rebuilt in May 2017.

--My car was picked up right away and my deposit for an engine rebuild was immediately cashed.

--My car then disappeared for 3 months and communication from "Dana" was very poor as to the whereabouts of my car and exactly when I'd have my car returned to me.

--Several trips to his house and 4 months after the fact, I was finally able to pick my car up...via trailer and without a thing being done to the car. To add insult to injury, my car sustained damage while in his possession.

--After numerous attempts to reach him by phone and text, I took the hour-plus ride to his house once again. Luckily he was there and so I arranged an agreement for him to simply build me an engine and I would handle the rest. At that point I asked him to sign a new agreement which put a timeframe on the job. The terms of that agreement expired on October 8, 2017.

--The time has come and gone for my engine or my money to be returned and "Dana" has stopped picking up his phone and responding to my messages now that I'm asking for my money yet he is still advertising on CL, hence this posting.

--As of January 2, 2018 his newest posting now has an additional paragraph mentioning that he is no longer handling the installs as he has a “pissed off customer...[who] would rather not resolve the issue amicably…”. As I can only imagine that paragraph has to do with me, him stating that could not be any further from the truth. I have been exceptionally patient and still continue to contact “Dana” at least once a month in a continued attempt to resolve this amicably. Simply put, he is not responding to any of my messages nor is he making an attempt to correct this issue in any way.

And since he has decided to play games up to this point and not make any effort to resolve this, I would encourage you, the reader, to start doing some research based on the information I have attached to this post. All sorts of public information out there.

Right now this is looking like it will be handled through the court system. Please feel free to contact me if you are having a similar issue. I can't imagine I'm the only one.

EDIT: After a few months of my post going up and being renewed on CL, it turns out I am not the only one. The details of those other issues aren’t important. What is important is that “Dana” has a long history of shady dealings.

************************************************** ************************* *******************************

NEW Reman Subaru 2.5 engine with Warranty - $1800 (Lowell MA.)

2.5 Subaru engine, NEW WITH WARRANTY - $1800

Completely remanufactured 2.5 Subaru engine. In stock, ready to deliver.

The engines offered have been completely disassembled, cleaned, inspected, crack checked and if found to be acceptable, remachined to restore factory specs and tolerances.

Specifically the engine cylinders are bored/honed to restore proper size/clearance for the new pistons and rings.

The crankshaft is ground/polished to restore correct surface finish and size for the new connecting rod bearings and main bearings.

The newly machined block and crankshaft are assembled with new bearings, pistons and rings.

The cylinder heads are crack checked, resurfaced as needed, and a complete valve job is performed.

The heads are installed on the new short block/lower end with new head gaskets and head bolts, torqued to factory specs

We provide new timing set and water pump and the remainder of the gasket set to complete the installation.

Complete assembly is shrink wrapped and bagged waiting to be delivered.

The engine assembly comes with a two year WRITTEN WARRANTY, against defects in parts and workmanship.

We offer FREE delivery!!

The price is $1800 and a rebuildable core.

Please contact Dana Subaruspecialties@gmail.com, OR 978-596-7516 with questions.

We are very busy and when the machines are on or assembling an engine the phone isn't heard,

so please LEAVE A MESSAGE.

We have over 35 years experience rebuilding engines; every brand and model you can think of.

The last 10 years we have specialized in Subarus. The amount of experience gained has provided great insight into the particular problems and inherent quirks associated with Subarus.

Subarus are what we do all day every day.

We no longer do installations. My guy that was doing them for me is no longer able to. He got locked up. Before he went away he stole an engine and had a car in his garage. As a consequence of this I have a pissed off customer. I have had an engine sitting in my shop for months. It seems he would rather not resolve the issue amicably.....

************************************************************************************************************************************************

2.0 Turbo Subaru engine, NEW WITH WARRANTY - $2500

Completely remanufactured 2.0 Subaru engine. In stock, ready to deliver.

The engines offered have been completely disassembled, cleaned, inspected, crack checked and if found to be acceptable, remachined to restore factory specs and tolerances.

Specifically the engine cylinders are bored/honed to restore proper size/clearance for the new pistons and rings.

The crankshaft is ground/polished to restore correct surface finish and size for the new connecting rod bearings and main bearings.

The newly machined block and crankshaft are assembled with new bearings, pistons and rings.

The cylinder heads are crack checked, resurfaced as needed, and a complete valve job is performed.

The heads are installed on the new short block/lower end with new head gaskets and head bolts, torqued to factory specs

We provide new timing set and water pump and the remainder of the gasket set to complete the installation.

Complete assembly is shrink wrapped and bagged waiting to be delivered.

The engine assembly comes with a two year WRITTEN WARRANTY, against defects in parts and workmanship.

We offer FREE delivery!!

The price is $2500 and a rebuildable core.

Please contact Dana Subaruspecialties@gmail.com, OR 978-596-7516 with questions.

We are very busy and when the machines are on or assembling an engine the phone isn't heard,

We have over 35 years experience rebuilding engines; every brand and model you can think of.

The last 10 years we have specialized in Subarus. The amount of experience gained has provided great insight into the particular problems and inherent quirks associated with Subarus.

************************************************************************************************************************************************

posting unhide

NEW HIGH PERFORMANCE Subaru Turbo 2.5 Short Block - $2800 (Lowell MA.)

Completely remanufactured 2.5 Subaru short block. In stock, ready to deliver.

We use Manley Performance forged pistons and moly ring sets, Manley forged H-beam connecting rods, and forged steel crankshaft.

The engines offered have been completely disassembled, cleaned, inspected, crack checked and if found to be acceptable, remachined to achieve performance specs and tolerances.

Specifically the engine cylinders are bored/honed with a DECK PLATE, to achieve proper size/clearance for the new Manley forged pistons and rings.

The block is LINE HONED, and BOTH DECK SURFACES ARE SURFACED.

The crankshaft is ground/polished to restore correct surface finish and size for the new KING performance connecting rod bearings and main bearings.

We have used Manley Performance parts for over 30 YEARS, because they are of the highest quality and top rated parts available.

We supply a NEW HIGH VOLUME oil pump.

We offer FREE delivery!!

The price is $2800 and a rebuildable core.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EDIT:

See links below to threads I posted on other forums. Mods, pls let me know if this is not acceptable and I will gladly remove the links.

New England Street Riders - Business & Product Reviews

NASIOC - Vendor Reviews

NASIOC - NESIC

Edited by bergs
Copy/ Paste multiple ads

• 2 months later...

Update:

Claims hearing was today. Give you one guess who didn't show. So, Default Finding entered.

The court has acknowledged my cash losses and I have 10 business days to submit evidence of the damage done to my car while in Scott's care. The court will then decide the appropriate amount I am to be compensated.

Up next? Payment schedule hearing.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, the headache part is over. It was the months without my car that I found to be the most difficult part. Everything else now is simply taking the steps that are available.

I'm more amazed that he's back on CL and now is offering rebuilds on 2.0 turbo engines!

:lol:

For me, the headache part is over. It was the months without my car that I found to be the most difficult part. Everything else now is simply taking the steps that are available.

I'm more amazed that he's back on CL and now is offering rebuilds on 2.0 turbo engines!

:lol:

Good grief, Charlie Brown.

Report him to CL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
Good grief, Charlie Brown.

Report him to CL?

CL does not have an effective reporting system other than the flagging system which seemingly has arbitrary parameters before an ad is deleted. I was advised on their forums that all ads are considered "buyer beware so why am I complaining". In short, the "help" over there was less than helpful.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Payment hearing was last week.

He showed up, blamed me for him filing for bankruptcy then tried to file a restraining order against me. I believe it was rejected but still....WTF is he thinking?

• 1 month later...

If you are reading this and have a small claims case against Scott, consider appealing the bankruptcy claim.

In my mind the court needs to hear that he's "bankrupt" from ripping people off and nothing more.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Update:

So the bankruptcy dimissals are indeed final!!

After obtaining copies of said dimissal notices, I refiled with Ayer District Court for a payment review hearing and received a date!

This should be interesting...

• 1 month later...

I wish I had a way to feel good about saying "you're welcome".

At this point it's less about my money coming back and more about preventing him from doing this to others. I can still eat dinner at night, even with a loss like this. Others do not have that option and I have had numerous people contact me with their story.

Tomorrow will be amazing.

Also, due to the range of information across forums, I added links to those forums in the 1st post.

In a 'shocking' turn of events, it was a Mr Boyd no-show today. Probably locked up again on more of those bogus charges.

This time I had the accompaniment of another affected person who had dealings with Scott as recently as Nov 2018. I'm guessing my new friend was a bit let down by the no-show. No real fireworks today.

Anyways, capias issued and a heartfelt "nice work" goes out to one Scott Boyd.

EDIT:

Just heard from a friend. Numerous ads up on CL in the Albany, NY and CT areas. Vermont and Western Mass as well.

I searched Subaru Engine and included all areas.....and I do mean every last box was checked and wouldn't you know it...7 ads flagged.

COMPLETELY REMANUFACTURED LONG BLOCK ENGINE, WITH A 2 YEAR WARRANTY

Completely disassembled

Cleaned and degreased

Pressure tested heads

All machine work performed by machinist with 30+years experience

Reassemblled to factory specs using all new parts

Reground crankshaft

Rod and main bearings

Pistons and rings

Timing set with water pump

High Volume Oil pump

Gaskets, Head Bolts and seals

A first class job done with the highest quality parts and pride in workmanship!!

We stand behind our engines with a 2 year parts AND labor warranty.

The remanufactured long block assembly is $2000 CASH.

A rebuildable core is necessary or a $300 deposit is required.

FREE DELIVERY AND CORE PICK UP

For more information, please CALL 978 596 7516

Edited by bergs

• 3 months later...

Over the last year or so I have had roughly 11 individuals contact me in one way or another, either through forums or when I was posting on CL (and subsequently placed on timeout due to breaking all their rules for posting). :eek:

There are certainly many more than that number given his known history.

EDIT:

The new advertisement schemes from Mr Boyd shown below.

======================================================================

New Rebuilt Subaru 2.5 Short Block - $1000 (Worcester Ma.)

Completely rebuilt 2.5 short block/lower end.

Block halves separated and cleaned.

Bored/honed as needed.

Fresh ground crankshaft installed with new bearings.

New pistons and rings.

New rear main seal.

New performance upgrade oil pump.

Blocks available;

2000/2005

2005 California emissions

2006/2011 PREV

2005/2011 Turbo and WRX

Closed deck STI built with YOUR core only.

Engines ready to be picked up in Worcester or delivery available for a reasonable charge.

All engines are sold for cash and must have a rebuildable core or $300 core charge. NO EXCEPTIONS

These engines are STOCK REBUILDS.

Please contact Bob Harris 508-868-8682, please leave message. Bobharrissubaru@gmail.com

===========================================================================================

New Rebuilt Subaru 2.5 Engine - $1500 (Worcester Ma.)

Completely rebuilt long block engine.

Bored/honed as needed.

New pistons and rings.

New rear main seal.

Heads are resurfaced, complete valve job, reassembled using new seals.

Torqued onto the short block with new head bolts and head gaskets.

The valves are adjusted.

A new timing set is provided, with a new water pump.

Blocks available;

2000/2005, with or with out EGR

2006/2011 PREV

Engines ready to be picked up in Worcester or delivery available for a reasonable charge.

All engines are sold for $1500 cash and must have a rebuildable core or $400 core charge. NO EXCEPTIONS

Please contact Bob Harris 508-868-8682, please leave message. Bobharrissubaru@gmail.com

========================================================================================================

New Rebuilt Subaru 2.5 Engine - $2000 (Worcester Ma.) unhide

Completely rebuilt long block engine.

Bored/honed as needed.

New pistons and rings.

New rear main seal.

Heads are resurfaced, complete valve job, reassembled using new seals.

Torqued onto the short block with new head bolts and head gaskets.

The valves are adjusted.

A new timing set is provided, with a new water pump.

Blocks available;

2000/2005, with or with out EGR

2006/2011 PREV

All engines are sold for $2000 cash and must have a rebuildable core or $400 core charge. NO EXCEPTIONS

Edited by bergs

Thank you for all the work you’re doing in preventing this from spreading. Hopefully you’re posting in other forums as well.

Thank you for the encouragement.

The things I've learned from some of the people he's ripped off is sickening. I am very fortunate to be able to take the financial hit I took and keep moving on. This bag of shit has screwed over some people who couldn't afford it in the first place.

The 1st post has crosslinks to other forums I'm on. Please feel free to start threads on additional forums if you wish and I will gladly link them in these existing threads. I don't see me signing up to anything else just for the sole purpose of putting up these types of threads but yes, I have posted on other forums.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...