LegacyGT.com

New to S.D.... need help

mlloydlgt

Hey all... I'm orignionally from H.B. but was out east for a few years where I bought my 2005 Leg. GT Wagon.... I just moved back to SoCal for the Navy.

My D/P srung a leak at the turbo yesterday and the Soobie shop wants $300 to fix it (not warrantied, of course)... I just moved out here and have no garage ands/or tools. Anybody know a great place to get a Soobie repaired by a good mech at an affordable price? I'd do it myself, but again, am without time nor means right now (house hunting sucks!). No internet so please call me if you've got any ideas! Thanks!

Mike

Group 5 Motorsport in Miramar: (858) 693-3278

If you join All Wheel Drive Junkies (free) they offer a discounted labor rate of $75/hour. How could this take more than an hour to fix? $300 sounds like an insane amount. Can you elaborate on your problem?

Oh, and welcome back to SoCal.

If you join All Wheel Drive Junkies (free) they offer a discounted labor rate of $75/hour. How could this take more than an hour to fix? $300 sounds like an insane amount. Can you elaborate on your problem?

Oh, and welcome back to SoCal.

I used them for a brake line install and will never ever go back. I wouldn't trust my car with them.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but weren't those early TF brake lines that you had them install defective? Probably still could have been handled better...

We're talking about replacing a gasket here. Not exactly rocket science. A couple wrenches, some copper spray, and a gasket. Really, given your situation you could just buy the tools and do it yourself. Use the various DP install walkthroughs for guidance. Everything you need is right there. Buy the turbo-DP gasket at the dealership ($15?). I don't think you even need to get under the car to do this.

True, the DP gasket should be simple enough to trust just about anybody. Hell, Meineke could probably do it.

As for my issue, it turned out that they claimed it was an issue with the lines themselves, but there was/is nothing wrong with the lines if you install them correctly. They didn't, so they were rubbing against the wheel from the moment I left the shop. They then refused to admit any responsibility and tried to make me feel dumb for buying the "cheap" brake lines. Beyond that, I can't help but wonder how well the tech knew Subies considering he had never heard of Cobb or Crucial and kept pusing me to get a turbo timer and BOV.

Anyway, to each his own. You just won't catch me recommending Group5 for anything to anyone.

I don't recall who I made the appt. with, they are doing it Friday am out near Mirmar, off the 78. I am in the middle of a move and don't have any tools or free time to crawl under it myself. The car made this bad rapsy noise under acceleration. Not a rattle like a loose heat shield. Kearny Subaru gave me some attitude about it being not covered under warranty and charged $47.50 for a 1/2 labor to trouble-shoot (since it was not under warranty). I don't know how the figure 3 hrs of labor either.... I just can't get it done myself right now is all. Anyway. The noise comes and goes a bit and hasn't reared it's ugle head in the last two drives and was faint in the one before. I will have them double check about the leak before they do any work (at the turbo intothe DP). In any case, it wasn't a pretty sound at all! Will let y'all know how it goes.

Mike

At I-Speed now... sound got a lot quieter, exh. leaks nearly never do that they tell me... So they're gunna snoop around. Could be a pressure leak or a turbo going bad (at 9k miles!?!?) Will let you know.

Mike

Sorry for the slow reply. Those fricktards at Kearny Mesa Subaru swore up and down it was a turbo-to-downpipe gasket leak.... then charged me $50 for troubleshooting b/c the DP is not under warranty due to being aftermarket. So I took the car to Crawford/I-Speed in Oceanside and they replaced the gaskets (which looked ok, but since they had it all apart to look at them I figured "why not?") and found a small pinhole leak in the Crucial D.P. where their weld was flawed (will follow up with them on this soon).... And the sound was still there $146 later. So I had them check the pre-turbo gaskets. The copper gasket into the UpPipe was missing about 20%... Just a huge hole! Deteriorated to hell and back in less than 6 months (which I am not happy about b/c I went with the crucial gaskets based on their "proven" riliability and performance over OEM) and had them do all the gaskets in the pre-turbo setup too, as I didn't have much faith in the coppers and they whole thing was already apart anyways! (Another $150!)

So, those queertards at Kearny Mesa charged me $50 to "trouble shoot" the noise and they were wrong!.... I told them I'd like my money returned and they said "had you let us do the additional $500 worth of work we quoted you we would have satisfactorily cured the exhaust leak... so we are not going to give you your money back"..... I call Bullshtuff becuase they were paid to find a noise (which they didn't find!) and then they have the balls to say that if I'd let them rape me on labor and parts (they wanted $50 for a $15 OEM gasket!) they'd have fixed it. So not being one to take a snowjob lightly I am protesting the charge through VISA and will see what happens after arbitration in 90 days. I just hate that they can get away with this stuff! The guy even handed me a new turbo-to-DP gasket and said "this needs to be replaced" and then in talks for a refund said he made no commitement to any specific leak and wanted to replace all gaskets in the entire system! (Which is 1. a lie and 2. the invoice even says it was "a leak at the gasket from the turbo into the downpipe").

So there's my drama. Screw them. I hate dealerships and I hate dishonety. Furthermore, the service manager is in the shop but "busy" taking an online timed course for like 3 weeks straight and cannot attend to his paid duties and as such cannot speak to me about the matter and is too busy to call me but aparently has the time to "look at all the facts" and decide they were right and won't give me my measly $50 back. So I hate them. That's my rant. They suck. They have no ethics and are cheats.

Mike

That's a bummer that you had to go through so much crap. I'm surprised/worried to hear such issues with the Crucial products as well, since I have their uppipe and gasket set waiting to go on. It sucks that we don't really have a decent service shop here in SD too. I've been to Carlsbad once and they seemed nice enough, but a little clueless. That was just an oil change though. It looks like a drive to Irvine or Temecula might be needed for decent service.

You guys can always PM me for work. ;)

I'll say this. Subaru spends a lot of money on engineers for gaskets... I'll take my OEM stuff over anything else thank you.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

That's a bummer that you had to go through so much crap. I'm surprised/worried to hear such issues with the Crucial products as well, since I have their uppipe and gasket set waiting to go on. It sucks that we don't really have a decent service shop here in SD too. I've been to Carlsbad once and they seemed nice enough, but a little clueless. That was just an oil change though. It looks like a drive to Irvine or Temecula might be needed for decent service.

Yeah. The guys at I-Speed/Crucial up in Oceanside weren't too bad, but they deal in turbos and reflashes, not so much in lesser agressive stuff and more common DO-it-Yourself stuff. I'd have gone to Irvine but time was critical... and Temecula? I never heard of anything good out there.

I will also say I'd never get anything done from them. I just worked on a WRX wagon that was done by them... Umm.. to say the least it was less than stellar work. Missing brackets, and a broken inlet pipe...

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

Archived