LegacyGT.com

NE Ohio Subaru head rebuild

Turbine_junkie

Hello fellow LGT owners,

I have a 05 5AT LGT Wagon, 142k miles. No mods other than bigger Anti Roll bars. Ever since I got the car 3.5 years ago, it intermittently threw P0302 cylinder misfire on #2. It would go away within a few days and not come back for months just to repeat. I do smell gas on start up which goes away, so I thought it was the injector.

This year, it has been happening more frequently. I have done following,

1. New plugs. NGK iridium. Gapped at 0.028"

2. Swapped injector with # 1 cylinder

3. Swapped coil with # 4 cylinder

4. Cleaned MAF sensor

5. Checked vacuum leaks

6. Compression test (cold)

#1 125 psi

#2 115 psi

#3 125 psi

#4 122 psi

So far, all steps, the code comes back as P0302.

Compression #'s are not great but its an old car and I did the test cold. No obvious culprits other than slightly low on #2.

So its either the valve clearance or Ringland. I have ruled out ringland since I have NO oil consumption.

My ask:

1. What engine builders exist in NE ohio ?
    If I pull the engine myself, are there any Subaru places in the Cleveland/ Pittsburgh/Youngstown/Columbus area that can rebuild heads to OEM level. I dont want to take these to NON Subaru guys.

2. What is the cost to rebuild heads ?

Thanks for your help.

There is turn in concepts in Cinci and strictly performance in kalamazoo MI. But they are 4 hours away. If I can find a shop like that with a lot of experience in building these engines, that would be ideal.

• 4 weeks later...
Just saw this. If you haven't found anyone yet, check out Go Fast Tuner Parts in Akron, theyve got a master tech who works there. Heard good things about them. Check out the NEOSOC facebook page as well for decent local advice. Then there's always TPG in Pittsburgh. Probably one of the best tuners/builders for Subies in our area. Good luck.

Just saw this. If you haven't found anyone yet, check out Go Fast Tuner Parts in Akron, theyve got a master tech who works there. Heard good things about them. Check out the NEOSOC facebook page as well for decent local advice. Then there's always TPG in Pittsburgh. Probably one of the best tuners/builders for Subies in our area. Good luck.

After posting this, I found that timing was off due to tensioner leaking. I replaced belt and tensioner plus idlers but the misfire is still here. I may contact them to diagnose.:spin:

Archived