LegacyGT.com

Navigation Install (OEM)

This Thread is to discuss the possibility of swapping in the OEM Subaru Navigation system into a Legacy model without Navigation. The size seems the same, wondering if it would be plug and play, or if coding would be involved, what other components would need to be installed, if any? The price for a new OEM 7" Navigation is around $1250 + Maps SD card for around $300. So, has anyone thought about this / done this?

Subaru 7" Stereo - http://parts.bestbuysubaru.com/p/STEREO-DECK/60018563/86201AL67A.html

Subaru 7" Navigation - http://parts.bestbuysubaru.com/p/RADIO-AND-NAVIGATION-UNIT-ASSEMBLY/60018595/86271AL66A.html

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I would ever do that I would buy a really nice Pioneer AVIC head unit with NAV for less than half the price of the Subi with Apple Car Play and call it a day! I put one in my Sons car over Christmas and they are the best head units on the market.

Which AVIC model did you install? I was just hoping to keep OEM compatibility, and the possibility for turn by turn indicators by the gauges. I've had the car about a week, but still missing navigation from my last two cars (2014 VW Passat & 2006 Audi A6)

I bought an AVIC-5100NEX and it's an awesome unit. Take a look at http://www.crutchfield.com or http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1305100NEX/Pioneer-AVIC-5100NEX.html?tp=20212

Factory looking install kit http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120958906H/Metra-95-8906HG-Dash-Kit-High-Gloss-Black.html?tp=3121

These Pioneer units blow the factory unit away...if I was doing an upgrade...this is the only real option IMO.

Edited by securityguy

You lose some functionality with the PIONEER:

Installation Details

Installation Details for your 2015 Subaru Legacy Sedan without Harman Kardon audio system; with 4 speakers

• When you replace the factory radio, the factory hands-free cell phone interface (if so equipped) won't work anymore.
  • When you replace the factory radio, you'll lose the factory AUX input connection.
  • When you replace the factory radio, you'll lose the factory USB input connection.
  • When you replace the factory radio, you'll lose your factory satellite radio capability.

Which AVIC model did you install? I was just hoping to keep OEM compatibility, and the possibility for turn by turn indicators by the gauges. I've had the car about a week, but still missing navigation from my last two cars (2014 VW Passat & 2006 Audi A6)

Does the factory nav unit in 2015 or 2016 have turn indicators by the gauges?

Whenever you replace a factory headend, you lose some of the subtle niceties like the TBT in the gauge cluster. Personally, I don't use this feature and if anyone is looking to upgrade a stereo to a NAV, aftermarket is always the better option as you get a far better head unit for a much lower cost that typically does more and a better job of it.

If this was the 5th gen nav I would be all for an aftermarket unit. Being that the 6th gen nav is such a good unit I would be hard pressed to lose some of the nicely integrated features for an aftermarket unit that is going to look out of place on the dash.
---

^^^ I agree, VERY happy with my NAV.

Although while I am driving, I've attempted to use voice commands to enter an address. It ALWAYS fails. I follow the prompts, wait for the beep and speak the address clearly and at a normal rate of speech. Then it comes up with the same two address, both 100 blah blah st in different states. I don't get what I am doing wrong and it's pretty frustrating!

While I've tested out some aftermarket head units, I would like to stay OEM Subaru if possible. I've never done any coding with a Subaru, so I'm not even sure If going from a radio to Nav is possible? They install both the NAV and the Radio in the Premium, so I'm thinking it would be an possibility.

Before I would ever do that I would buy a really nice Pioneer AVIC head unit with NAV for less than half the price of the Subi with Apple Car Play and call it a day! I put one in my Sons car over Christmas and they are the best head units on the market.

I just pulled an AVIC-D3 out of my Sonata before trading it in for the Legacy.

It was a great HU however for the past year or so the bluetooth functionality started failing and throwing errors that could only be fixed by restarting the car (to reboot the HU and the BTB module)

Maps on DVD also was a terrible idea; my kid got ahold of my East coast disc in the center console and scratched it up and Pioneer wanted $300 for a complete new set.

I'm sure they've improved upon this over the past 9 years (thats how old the D3 is)

That all being said, I love the integration of the OEM unit but REALLY wish it had the nav.

Google maps works OK on my phone, but, having everything together would be great.

Would be interested to know if you need to add a GPS antenna to go from stereo to nav... Dropping the head liner surely isn't going to be fun.

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine

The maps on all of the new units are on SD cards. You can in no way compare a 9 year old head unit to what's on the market today.

Completely agree; just wanted to share my experience and throw a +1 for AVIC

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine

Would be interested to know if you need to add a GPS antenna to go from stereo to nav... Dropping the head liner surely isn't going to be fun.

The GPS antenna is located behind the cluster panel and not on the roof of the vehicle.