LegacyGT.com

MP3's with OEM head unit?

racerdave

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True, Sube. At least Mazda dealers offered the JDM head unit for the RX-8 to get the CD MP3 capability. Also, with BMW 3-series you can use the stock head unit and therefore keep the steering-wheel controls stock and get an Alpine changer and an adapter and, bingo, you have a six-disc MP3 changer that is operated by the stock radio controls. It'll also be interesting to see how/if the sound system will take to mods. Of course, the Phatbox (that's the hard-drive based MP3 solution, right?) would be cool too. But I'd be satistfied with a 6-disc MP3 changer... that's a lot of music there.

I'm still hesitant with perminantly sticking a hard drive in my car as there's a lot of jolting on rough roads and I just wouldn't want to challenge the longevity of a hard drive perminantly mounted just yet. If they had MP3 hookup capability like 1394 or USB2, I'd definitely flip for that and get an iPod. :cool: Since they don't, oh well, I'll get by.

[quote name='SUBE555']I'm still hesitant with perminantly sticking a hard drive in my car as there's a lot of jolting on rough roads and I just wouldn't want to challenge the longevity of a hard drive perminantly mounted just yet. If they had MP3 hookup capability like 1394 or USB2, I'd definitely flip for that and get an iPod. :cool: Since they don't, oh well, I'll get by.[/quote] I'm gone a wait and see if there is a mod to use the line in for the CD changer and use it as a direct line from my iPod. I'm using an iTrip just now but the damn thing drops off intermittently. Either that or wait and change the head unit when I move and get Nav etc then.

• 1 month later...
I would think it would play MP3 CDs. Which is all I'm looking for. But... the good thing is that this could mean the head-unit upgrade could (should?) be pretty simple. The RX-8 did not do this in the US, but there was a Japanese option that did, and it was a direct swap... and could still use the steering wheel controls (which we won't have). So we could probably just buy the head unit out of the 3.0R OB.

[quote name='Drift Monkey']I still say the aftermarket has more to offer...[/quote] The aftermarket has many better audio choices in general. Except in the case of this radio it isn't an easy job to just remove it and replace it. That whole front panel is the radio face, the rear of the panel just has circuit boards and wires that plug into the car's harness. You'd have to do lots of cutting and splicing.

[quote name='turboliberty'][quote name='Drift Monkey']I still say the aftermarket has more to offer...[/quote] The aftermarket has many better audio choices in general. Except in the case of this radio it isn't an easy job to just remove it and replace it. That whole front panel is the radio face, the rear of the panel just has circuit boards and wires that plug into the car's harness. You'd have to do lots of cutting and splicing.[/quote] They make the DIN panel.

I think there's a misunderstanding, I really doubt there's a DIN plate out for the '05 Legacy yet. The radio and climate controls are one circuit board that plugs into a large, double DIN sized unit. The pictures below show you the two control unit face plates, one is for manual climate and the other is for auto climate. I'm not sure how you'd go about removing and replacing the entire climate control and radio with an aftermarket unit. Manual Climate [img]http://www.directimagehost.com/is.php?i=37341&img=05radio007f.jpg[/img] Auto Climate [img]http://www.directimagehost.com/is.php?i=37342&img=05radio008f.jpg[/img] Rear of face plate [img]http://www.directimagehost.com/is.php?i=37340&img=05radio006f.jpg[/img] These are just test boards, you can only replace the radio by removing the complete double DIN unit. SOA doesn't sell just this face plate seperately but it's obvious this isn't an easy radio swap.

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][img]http://www.legacysti.com/files/console.jpg[/img] Thanks to brady for finding it. :lol:[/quote] Okay, can the hazard button be relocated to the left side? If so, then we can use the Japan part? Just don't be pissed when the temperature is in celcius, I guess.

Archived