LegacyGT.com

Location of TPMS Control Unit?

Mods - feel free to move if in the wrong forum. I've been given some guidance on disabling the TPMS system for those of us running without the sensors and not wanting the flashing warning light. It basically involves disconnecting the TPMS control unit. However, I don't know where it is located. Just wondering if anyone on here, techs potentially, can tell me where it's at?

This is what a tech on nasioc told me, for what it's worth:

Well, from class today I'm told that if you unplug the connector to the TPC control module that should solve your problem. The light is switched on through a ground side contact within that control module. So, if you unplug it, it should just eliminate the car from thinking it has TPC. Try it and let me know how it works out.

TPMS control unit interworks closely with BIU but is separate unit .

You probably should try to open circuit between the combination meter connector and the tire pressure monitoring control module (cut/disconnect wire from terminal 2)

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/arumis555/TPMSControll.jpg

Mods - feel free to move if in the wrong forum. I've been given some guidance on disabling the TPMS system for those of us running without the sensors and not wanting the flashing warning light. It basically involves disconnecting the TPMS control unit. However, I don't know where it is located. Just wondering if anyone on here, techs potentially, can tell me where it's at?

couldn't you just transfer the current sustem to the new wheels?

tire rack i believe says you can do this or just purchase their add on.

it's not something that i find i need or would neccesarily purchase, but now that I have it, i'll keep it.

couldn't you just transfer the current sustem to the new wheels?

tire rack i believe says you can do this or just purchase their add on.

it's not something that i find i need or would neccesarily purchase, but now that I have it, i'll keep it.

They don't fit all wheels. I bought BBS RK's at the Saab dealership and the extra set of sensors I bought (Discount price of $200!) didn't fit. So, sold them to someone on here.

So, to get to the TPMS control module, I need to take off the door panel? Are there any links to service guides how to properly remove a panel w/o breaking any clips, etc. I've done it on my Miata, no problem, but had I not seen a diagram regarding how to do it some plastic would certainly have lost its life!

Also, is that image above of the TPMS control unit or the BIU? I'm assuming I can't just remove the TPMS unit entirely because other functions are dependent on it? Disconnecting the wire is the way to go?

They don't fit all wheels. I bought BBS RK's at the Saab dealership and the extra set of sensors I bought (Discount price of $200!) didn't fit. So, sold them to someone on here.

So, to get to the TPMS control module, I need to take off the door panel? Are there any links to service guides how to properly remove a panel w/o breaking any clips, etc. I've done it on my Miata, no problem, but had I not seen a diagram regarding how to do it some plastic would certainly have lost its life!

Also, is that image above of the TPMS control unit or the BIU? I'm assuming I can't just remove the TPMS unit entirely because other functions are dependent on it? Disconnecting the wire is the way to go?

It looks like the TPMS control module is located under the driver's seat, not in the door.

• 6 months later...

MazdaManiac

08-04-2004, 04:04 AM

Short answer: CUT THE BLUE/RED WIRE.

That's it.

*** MOD NOTE: This DIY does not work in all cars. Please read the whole thread***

Long answer:

Those of us with aftermarket rims that wont accept the TPMS sensors have been living with the TPMS warning light coming on after a little while of driving around every day.

Unplugging the module just sets off an error immediately with the TPMS warning light flashing rapidly.

The TMPS module has 5 wires going into it on one plug. Two are the CAN buss high and low wires, one is a ground, one is a constant power source and the oter is an ignition-switched power source.

By disconnecting the constant-power wire (BLUE/RED), the module never initializes but it still powers up when it sees the ignition switch on. Since it never intializes, it never checks for the sensors so it can't register an error.

The module is located under the upper-middle dash panel which requires the removal of the front upper center console (shifter section), ashtray, radio and center HVAC bezel. These steps are outlined elsewhere on this site.

You can also go here: http://www.whatsmyip.org/ipodrx8/ for a very good, step-by-step pictorial.

The TPMS are really limiting the choices of aftermarket rims. The above is what I've found from Mazda site. Wonder would it be the same theory applies to Subaru??

• 11 months later...

I wonder how hard it would be to have them removed from the wheels I have them in and being that my car doesnt' have TPMS and sell them... hmmm ...

but I thought that the wheel sensors wern't interchangable between systems. Say, I can't get my 08 Spec B wheels with the TPMS sensors working on a aftermarket system like this: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=55

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

• 2 years later...
This is what a tech on nasioc told me, for what it's worth:

Well, from class today I'm told that if you unplug the connector to the TPC control module that should solve your problem. The light is switched on through a ground side contact within that control module. So, if you unplug it, it should just eliminate the car from thinking it has TPC. Try it and let me know how it works out.

Bumping from the dead........did anybody try this ^?

Archived