LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT Twinscroll Vs WRX

jackyboy96

Hey people,

New here so hopefully I’ve posted in the right section. I’m hoping for some advice on a future purchase - I’m aware this is a legacy forum but let’s try to be unbiased for a second!

I’ve always been an Impreza nut and they will always be my favourite car, at the moment me and my partner are deciding on a weekend car (I have a work van to use during the week). I’ve been looking at the blobeye wrx - due to road tax and insurance premiums this would be the only option WRX for us at the moment. While pondering I’ve come across the Legacy GT which apparently uses the same EJ20 as the WRX of the same era. Now the legacy looks perfect, as we have a newborn the legacy seems like the better option for creature comforts but still has the go when you want it to.

I’m a bit skeptical as here in the UK the only ones available seem to be the JDM twinscroll in a 5spd auto - what are these like? I would imagine them to be a bit laggy between changes and downshifts? And it might seem daft but I’ve also seen rumours that the twinscroll doesn’t sing the iconic boxer song? There’s no real drawbacks to the WRX for us apart from the legacy seems to have the balance of comfort/power and more lower mileage examples for sale compared to a lot of high mileage WRX’s.

I’d appreciate advice and opinions from you guys here, any ownership experience with this model would be ideal (BP5), auto transmission reviews etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the community. You can still get a nice rumble if you're willing to swap the exhaust maybe a few other pieces. At the end of the day they are going to be similar- a lot of the same part#s etc. it just comes down to your preference. I imagine the Leggy will be more comfortable in the backseat.

I can't speak to lag between shifts on an auto but I believe they use the same transmission if it's the similar model years. My recommendation given that you're looking for a used car is to drive a couple of each and see what you like best.

Most important advice I can give is to keep some extra money around for repairs, they do tend to add up quickly and Turbo Subaru's do require extra TLC. Change the oil often (8000 KM). Low mileage will be better and you can always ask an import mechanic to take a look prior to purchase. Most will do it for free or a nominal fee. Cant stress that enough.

I've never owned a WRX but I assume the Legacy is slightly more finicky but we love em.

Best of luck and enjoy

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2.0GT spec.B manual in the UK...

It has loads of mods - this is it on the dyno...

This is from when I had it up for sale :lol:

http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php?/topic/151993-graphites-2004-jdm-subaru-legacy-gt-specb-parts-for-sale/

Loads of info on that forum if you are interested :cool: