LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT Ltd Pices in TX?

Kerste

I'm looking to buy a car in the next month or so and I have been researching and test-driving like crazy in an effort to make sure that I have all the facts. Earlier this week I settled on two cars; the Subaru Legacy GT Limited and the Acura TSX. After test driving the two, my heart is absolutely set on the Legacy. It's just the funner car to drive. My question is: What kind of price am I going to get? I live in Houston and have only seen ONE Legacy out on the roads, and the 3 dealers we have in town seem to have plenty on their hands at the moment. The one I really have my eye on is a Garnet Red Pearl with the subwoofer/amplifier, auto dimming mirror/compass, perimeter alarm, and the spoiler. This sets the sticker to $31,304, which is a little high from what I've read. Truth be told, there aren't many in the region that come below $30k at sticker price. The dealer seemed eager to get it off his hands and was offering to make deals before I even test drove the car. I'm assuming this is a good thing..? I'm currently hoping that a wait until the end of the month will really get the dealer wanting to get this car off his hands, but does anyone else have any ideas as to how I can get this for much less? Thanks.

I've had good experiences with Barry Waxman at McRee in Dickinson. Very good pricing real close to invoice with little negotiation needed on our last two Subarus. A friend got a slightly better price on his Outback XT at West Houston, but he spent a lot of time negotiating.

That's awesome news. I test drove the one I'm looking to buy yesterday out at McRee in Dickinson and actually dealt with Barry myself. He seemed pretty up front about everything and generally seemed like a great guy to me, but you know how dealers can be. I'm really glad to hear that. I'm going to be paying cash, mostly anyway, will that help me get the price down further? I'm also trading in a '00 Handa Civic. I'm hoping to get it down around $20k after all that..

No one is paying below invoice for a LGT... you should be paying about 1000 over to consider it an OK deal. You need to consider that salespeople get paid just like everyone else does. Paying 3-5% over "invoice" price is considered good, and dealerships are in business, not to sell cars for the same price they paid for it. You tell of some other good or item that you can get away paying such a small percentage over cost. -Kevin

[quote name='Kevin@SoD']No one is paying below invoice for a LGT... you should be paying about 1000 over to consider it an OK deal.[/QUOTE] That is simply not true. The market determines the prices and the market for Legacy GTs in most of the US right now is right around invoice. Just an example, Fitzgerald Auto Mall in Maryland is selliing them for more than $1000 under invoice.

[quote name='rao']That is simply not true. The market determines the prices and the market for Legacy GTs in most of the US right now is right around invoice. Just an example, Fitzgerald Auto Mall in Maryland is selliing them for more than $1000 under invoice.[/QUOTE] Ok.... here in texas. I sell these things, I love them... I just dont understand how certain dealers whore out their product in order to make a sell... The legacy is a wonderful product and all they do by selling it for something like that is dampen the value of the vehicle.

In this part of Texas no one drives them.. At all. Since the car came out I have seen ONE actually being driven on the road. And that was in August. I've seen just about every other make of Subaru, just not the new Legacy.That's one of the reasons I'm so interested in them. It's sort of painfully obvious that they're not the easiest cars to move because the dealers wouldn't be overstocked with them and foaming at the mouth when an interested party comes in. Maybe it's a bit of a different market in Dallas?

[quote name='Kevin@SoD']No one is paying below invoice for a LGT... you should be paying about 1000 over to consider it an OK deal. You need to consider that salespeople get paid just like everyone else does. Paying 3-5% over "invoice" price is considered good, and dealerships are in business, not to sell cars for the same price they paid for it. You tell of some other good or item that you can get away paying such a small percentage over cost. -Kevin[/QUOTE] Nice try. I paid $26,225 for a legacy 2.5 GT LIMITED sedan :D which amounted to about $900 under invoice. Kevin, I understand your side. This is why I don't work in car sales. I know you pay 400% over cost for a pair of jeans in the mall, but 3-5% of $25,000 is a lot. Why should he pay more, when many others are paying less. Furthermore, I think dealers get 2.5% factory holdback, plus volume incentives. My dealer would not have sold me the car for this price if it weren't making a profit. You are just trying to make an extra thousand or two.

[quote name='Blaze']Kevin, are you a sales guy at Subaru of Dallas?[/QUOTE] I am, did you happen to actually see the invoice? Or do you just think that you made some great deal. I really don't see for such a great product, everyone wants to pay bottom dollar. Hell, If I was a normal person (non subaru employee), I'd pay whatever the going rate was for a fair deal... Any discount off of sticker is a great price IMO. I bet you all agree you have a wonderful car. What dealers (like some of the big volume east coast dealerships) do when the continually sell their cars well below invoice is that they cheapen the product and eventually that trickles down to you the consumer, affecting your trade and resale value down the road. Alas, everyone is concerned about the "present" and not the "future" :D -Kevin

Well worth it indeed. but here's another analogy. Would you pay $55.99 for Halo 2 if everyone else was selling it for $49.99? A lot of gamers would have paid $100 if that were the going rate, but they won't if it's readily available elsewhere for a lower price. If I ever worked in the car industry expecting to make the same profit as everyone else, I would prefer to work for a company that sells at non-negotiable prices like Saturn. I think Scion is the same way.

halo's MSRP is $49.99.... not the invoice ;) I'm not saying we need to make a ton of % over a cost... but you have to figure in all the overhead costs of a dealership... "holdback" usually makes up for that... it covers rent, power, water, land, building maintainence, upgrades, etc etc. The argument that "the dealer is making holdback" might be true... but it really doesnt account for much in regards to profit. If I ever by a non-subaru, I will expect to pay somewhat over invoice and be just perfectly happy with it. I know how the business works. Anyway, Im just trying to educate everyone... I'm hoping this all provides a little insight. -Kevin

Archived