LegacyGT.com

Leather seat repair

So I have a rip, now a hole in the driver's seat left bolster. It looks like a new seat cover is about $365. I would like to try a trim shop to see if they can do just that panel. Has anybody repaired anything like this? Edited by jay bee

I had a couple of tears on my driver seat when I forgot to take a screw driver out of my back pocket. I took it to a local shop that does this kind of wok to have it repaired. It took almost all day and less than $200. When I got the car back the seat looked brand new. Your cost mot likely will be different in your area.

I had the same problem start last fall. Got a repair kit from Amazon and fixed it up. It held up for about 2 months. Since then the tear got larger. I got a quote to fix it that came in at $425. The guy said it's a common issue on Subaru's. That was too much for me, and I feared even if he fixed it, the issue would just come back because I never had anything sharp on me to cause the issue in the first place.

So just a couple weeks ago I got a patch called Masta Plasta to cover the area and prevent it from expanding and then put on Black Panther leather seat bottom covers from Amazon for both front seats (I'm just assuming the passenger seat will eventually develop the same issue otherwise). The seat bottom covers seem nice and thick so I expect them to hold up for a long time. The wrinkles you see in the picture have subsided greatly over the couple of weeks I've had them.

So that's ~$60 fix if you're looking to spend less (more like $40 if you didn't get a cover for the passenger seat).

20200802_134142.thumb.jpg.144763c057aa4a03cf495fd8ca2b6488.jpg

20200802_134419.thumb.jpg.620b53f16348c74503770ace823d43e1.jpg

20200802_163757.thumb.jpg.759997ee592080227cbafb986f0422a3.jpg

My problem is the seat back, it wore where the back button on my work pants hit it over and over. I don't want covers but I may consider a patch for the short term. Overall the seats are in good shape.

I am disappointed with some of the interior pieces of this car. I wore out the cruise control/radio switch assembly and the steering wheel was de-laminating, replaced both at the same time. The chrome is flaking off the e-brake switch, now the operation of that is fluky. 135K miles in a little over 4.5 years, it was the work car, now it is the weekend car.

It is still shiny though. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qlCFN-F5Y_6VBq7YVr2VFtyoYNKyoxxi/view?usp=sharing

A new seat cover is only $260.11 from Heuberger (parts.bestbuysubaru.com - part no. 64140AL09EWM) plus shipping - other online vendors should be similar. Shouldn't be too horrible to do the install. (the part of the seat cover above that's ripped is the plastic/pleather part - it's not leather - only the center panel is leather)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got denied warranty service for our 2018 Outback 3.6R, 16800 miles. I called SOA, they gave me a case # and will call me back before 5PM tomorrow.

I pointed out to SOA, This is the second Outback 3.6R in this Gen we have purchased, traded in the 2016 on the 2018. I also mentioned the 2009 Spec B 93,000 miles leather is in great shape, also mentioned I have bought a 2005 GT wagon new, a 2000 GT wagon new and a 1998 GT wagon new.

IMG_1245.JPG.af68faf6ff1e2d457b7d38664cae3e57.JPG

IMG_1247.JPG.7970f024852b0986657d3dbf6c5e7c36.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just heard back from SOA.

After talking with him I feel much better. He understands the amount of money I've spent with them over the last 22 years.

He will try and get back to me tomorrow, if not then by the middle of next week, after Labor Day.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I will add that I bought American for years ...

You do realize, I hope, that your Legacy was built in Lafayette, Indiana, USA, and most of its OE parts suppliers are domestic as well.

FWIW, both my Legacy and Outback have higher "American" content than either of the two vehicles they replaced: a 1991 Buick Regal (major parts sourced from Mexico) and a 1998 Dodge Caravan (built in Canada).

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I do. My Dad would always remind me how poorly some of my cars fared in Consumer Reports and then I buy a car that is highly rated and that is the one with paper thin seat coverings. My 13 Impreza Sport was all Japanese, I didn't keep that long enough to see how the seats would be.

Heard back from SOA earlier today, I missed the call. I called back, left a voice mail.

He just called and told me they will give me $500 towards the repair because I have been a loyal customer. This is my 5th new Subaru.

I'll call the dealership in the AM and sit up an appointment.

I had the same problem start last fall. Got a repair kit from Amazon and fixed it up. It held up for about 2 months. Since then the tear got larger. I got a quote to fix it that came in at $425. The guy said it's a common issue on Subaru's. That was too much for me, and I feared even if he fixed it, the issue would just come back because I never had anything sharp on me to cause the issue in the first place.

So just a couple weeks ago I got a patch called Masta Plasta to cover the area and prevent it from expanding and then put on Black Panther leather seat bottom covers from Amazon for both front seats (I'm just assuming the passenger seat will eventually develop the same issue otherwise). The seat bottom covers seem nice and thick so I expect them to hold up for a long time. The wrinkles you see in the picture have subsided greatly over the couple of weeks I've had them.

So that's ~$60 fix if you're looking to spend less (more like $40 if you didn't get a cover for the passenger seat).

That is my car right now in that same exact spot [emoji17]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That is my car right now in that same exact spot [emoji17]

Hopefully your tear is small. I regret not getting a quote from a pro until the tear became large. I'm guessing that's a big part of why the quote I got was as high as it was.

With that said, I'm still pretty happy with how I addressed the issue. The biggest downside will be in the winter when the bottom of the heated seat won't be as effective.

Hopefully your tear is small. I regret not getting a quote from a pro until the tear became large. I'm guessing that's a big part of why the quote I got was as high as it was.

With that said, I'm still pretty happy with how I addressed the issue. The biggest downside will be in the winter when the bottom of the heated seat won't be as effective.

Oh mine is horrible now. I just saw the recommendation for the Masta Plasta patch. Their fake leather patch feels 10,000x better than the stock pleather, that's a problem. Subaru gotta get it together.

I noticed that when I was putting the patch on. My tear is on the outer bottom so my heat vents are okay. Thinking about it now I wonder if the heated seats ruin the seats over time. Wait I take that back, that pleather is just straight garbage.

Edited by Kay2DaA

• 3 years later...

Oh no, a rip in the driver's seat is always a bummer! Before going for a new cover, you might want to check with a trim shop. They often work wonders repairing specific panels. Also, if you're into quality leather, Von Baer has some fantastic options that could be worth exploring. Check them out for inspiration.

Edited by DrLeooo