LegacyGT.com

KZR OBXT Rebuild

Continuing from the last thread that can be closed now.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/kzr750r1-2006-obxt-head-gasket-motor-refresh-228229p42.html

Motor is pooched again. Hurt it on a 5K loop around the country. Some long and as many have said unsafe number of hours behind the wheel.

Motor is back out of the car.

Were at 250K on the chassis and 5EAT.

Need a new turbo as well.

Oil change in Wisconsin. Brought the materials.

Likely hurt it before and the 29 hours of drive time first leg from Cali began nailing the coffin.

It was pissed all the way from MO to TX. TX to NM. NM back to Cali.

Could only maintain spring pressure or less up the valley from Bakersfield.

Here is a taste. First leg.

7 gas stops. 9 pee breaks. 100oz of coffee.

UT thru WY is not advised in April at 3AM. ;)

https://www.relive.cc/view/vrqokrgVYyq

I'll give you credit for taking the old girl on that long of a drive. I don't think I would attempt half that in my wagon.

Do you think it was getting low and oil and overheating the oil ? What do you think went wrong ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'll give you credit for taking the old girl on that long of a drive. I don't think I would attempt half that in my wagon.

Do you think it was getting low and oil and overheating the oil ? What do you think went wrong ?

Not clear yet. Will see more once the remove the heads and tear down the block steps are complete.

Oil level looked right Saturday morning and just needed a change after that first leg.

The shop I did it with didn't take the belly pan off for the change. Plus started messing with the airbox to change the filter and I told them stop.

Oil and Filter Change only boys.

Not sure yet if the intake is ripped at the turbo. It's probably the beginning of the issues.

Just outside of Madison is where DAM number dipped past 1.0. Then kept happening more and more. Was stopping and resetting. But after a while just let it pull timing and watched it flip from .25 and back to 1.0.

After getting home did pull a P2227. Intake pressure issue and explains a little. Sensor measured ok according to the manual. More likely my turbo bit it at the end and not the middle, lucky there... I was adding a little oil at stops in AZ and Cali.

Edited by kzr750r1

So, did you ever check your long term fuel trims?? Maybe it was as simple as a bad vacuum leak? Also, were you monitoring misfire per cylinder?

No on the monitoring or logs.

Have not found evidence of a vacuum leak yet.

Took a break from the garage to focus on work.

Will be back at the tear down later this week.

Ringland failure #4.

Esplains the compression loss.

Debris likely took out the turbo.

Case opened. Main and rod bearings look acceptable.

Most wear was on the main. Shocked to see how well the rods looked and wristpins came out clean. Was expecting rod bearing spin.

All boxed and ready for the machine shop.

Nice to see the heads look good. Will still have them torn down for inspection.

Time to decide on turbo. BNR is the front runner on price and performance.

Took all four up so they can see for themselves. This one perplexed the machine shop guy. Wanted to pass it around to the others at the shop. He had never seen a forged piston in this shape.

This is just after teardown. M45 is going to clean and inspect then we will talk later this week early next about rebuild options.

Heads looked really good.

Have to remember there is only 100K on the heads. I have a full set of valve guides in stock as well.

Big question at this point is can the cylinders go to 100mm and will I get a new crank.

Funny as I was discussing oil pumps they suggest and they mentioned going to the 11mm pump I just pulled off this build. They like to go bigger like JDM 12mm. But with all the fine debris sent through the system I'm probably going to buy new.

Of course a new oil cooler and pan are in the plan.

I did see some weeping out of the cast wheel water pump, so it was due anyway. Will get another for this build. Wheel looked great.

Now to see if I can get the original VF40 rebuild by John or go with another 16G from Brian. Not many others out there for a TMIC setup that offer what I'm looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's where the project stands.

Case bored to 100mm - Ringland failure didn't ruin current sleeves.

New crank - Mine is just under tolerances after polish.

Donated rods from their stock - Mine were ground horizontally for weight balance, No bueno.

New pistons - Going with their preferred Weisco set.

Short block assembly.

Heads to go +1 on all valves.

I sent guides bought from Infamous years ago.

Reuse retainer and caps.

Cams are in good shape.

Have 5 buckets on the list but we may just horse trade needs based on final as I have a bunch in stock from the last rebuild.

Having them supply the full motor gasket kit.

Just under 5K for this. Their goal is to get it all done before the end of the month.

Work with John on a VF40 rebuild in the near future if possible. 16G is shot. Original VF40 hadn't degraded to the point of bending the wheels so it should be salvageable.

Otherwise a new BNR 16G will be purchased.

Looking at options of cleaning the AVCS gear internals. Company 23 tools to the rescue.

Considering a Killer B pan and windage tray to go with the pickup I have.

Yeah. Were having a hard time linking up. Will happen eventually, given some time. Would like to keep the OEM compressor housing installed. Save any explanation about changes for future smog visual check.

Yeah. Were having a hard time linking up. Will happen eventually, given some time. Would like to keep the OEM compressor housing installed. Save any explanation about changes for future smog visual check.

Yup, if you ask him to omit his custom paint options you’ll get an OEM looking unit back as it’s an IHI housing, it’s just the guts that change :)

$175 is for new AVC pulleys sound right? Loading up a bin of OEM parts... Just making sure it's not just part of the part listed at heuberger. Edited by kzr750r1