LegacyGT.com

Koni Rear Adjustment Extensions

mikeyvt

I've searched and I could not find it. Maybe I just missed it. I know I've seen them somewhere before and can't remember.

They were extension pieces for the rear struts so you don't have to pull the interior out to adjust the rear struts. I looked on Koni's sit and they showed the replacement knobs but not the extension. Anyone know where I can find these?

You don't have to pull out the interior to do it. Just reach into the corners and yank up the inside corner a bit and gently pull/fold over (without creasing it) and you can put the knob in and adjust it.

The extension pieces aren't sold or anything AFAIK. Someone made them as a DIY. Even then, you STILL have to pull the corners of your lining up a bit to attach them.

Thanks for the reply. I thought I saw one where they drilled through the piece so the extension sat on the outside so you always had access to it. I'll prob have to make my own then.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/koni-shock-strut-epic-engineering-spring-install-145744.html?p=3847249&highlight=knob

You can't make them adjustable without poking a hole through your lining. I'm not a fan of doing that... It's not like you'll be constantly adjusting them.

Seriously, reaching in and pulling out the lining a bit isn't that big a deal. You just remove the hard floor mat, then reach into the corner and pull the lining out just a bit. No need to even remove the plastic tabs/popits/christmas tree thingees.

Thanks. Do you have these on your wagon?

Yes. Without spacers the install is easier as the adjustment tab on the koni's sits above the opening on the frame. If you use spacers, the Allen wrench used to tighten the set screw needs to be trimmed with a fresh hacksaw blade to fit the circular opening. The initial installation requires removing the side bolster of the rear seat to give enough access to work with.

All in all, I am glad to have them. I like to adjust the firmness depending on what I'm carrying and the time of year. Softening them up a bit for family vacations minimizes the complaints lol. While Invar is correct that they aren't needed, I like it a bit better than squeezing my hand under the liner. If I didn't change settings very often, they would not be worth it.

Yes. Without spacers the install is easier as the adjustment tab on the koni's sits above the opening on the frame. If you use spacers, the Allen wrench used to tighten the set screw needs to be trimmed with a fresh hacksaw blade to fit the circular opening. The initial installation requires removing the side bolster of the rear seat to give enough access to work with.

All in all, I am glad to have them. I like to adjust the firmness depending on what I'm carrying and the time of year. Softening them up a bit for family vacations minimizes the complaints lol. While Invar is correct that they aren't needed, I like it a bit better than squeezing my hand under the liner. If I didn't change settings very often, they would not be worth it.

Thanks for your response. I would be doing the same thing along those lines. Do you happen to have a picture of them installed? I mean with everything put back into place.

Sorry for the slow response. It's been a busy week. Just a camera phone pick, but it gives you an idea of the placement. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/24/ytu6ysur.jpg

The rod can be trimmed to length. I wish I would have trimmed a bit off. If you do, I would recommend leaving it at least an inch above the liner. Just triple check the position of the hole before you drill. If you drill it wrong, you can put a piece of thick double sided tape under the hole and use one of the fabric repair kits from autozone to fill it in. It blends well as you can tailor the color. I can't even tell that it took me a couple attempts to get it right lol.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
I have a set of the rouge engineering ones I may be able to give up. Let me see if I'm keeping my Koni's or not and I'll PM you.

There is also a 3d printed on on thingaverse some people were using on FXT's

Thank you - Please keep me updated. I will look into the 3D print as well

Archived