LegacyGT.com

knock knock

I'm registering some FLKC and some feedback knock.

Both relatively low values (always 0 to -3 3) Usually under WOT.

DAM is a constant 1

I have 4k miles on a new motor, vf52, cobb fuel pump, stock injectors, stock tmic.

Dyno tuned 18psi target boost

I'm still learning about the AP and what i should be monitoring and what is acceptable as far as knock.

Should I be concerned and contact my tuner and/or mechanic or am I just being a typical LGT owner and over analyzing everything??

Help, opinions and/or advice is appreciated.

This is a very helpful article from Cobb on how to datalog - which includes the top 5 monitors to watch and what they mean.

https://static.cobbtuning.com/cobbtuningweb/site/support/techdocs/Ask_COBB-Subaru_Datalogging.pdf

Here is all you need to know about knock specifically:

https://static.cobbtuning.com/cobbtuningweb/site/support/techdocs/Subaru%20Knock%20Monitoring%20FAQ%20v2.pdf

Thanks for those links.

So since DAM never changes and the knock values are low enough I shouldn't worry?

Motor feels and sounds healthy and strong.

AF learning 1 went to -3.27 on the way home from work. Min -3.27 and Max 6.5

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160329/e62352f4de488073cb8f00a42efd3f15.jpg

This is my accessport after a 10 min drive to the gym.

Anyone see anything to be worried about or would I need to do some logging for a better picture of what's going on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

the links I posted specifically mention +/- 8 for the AF Learning 1 is within normal range. That is some decent knock, more than I see on my own cars - you may want to reach out to the tuner just to make sure he thinks its alright if you want some extra peace of mind.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much if the DAM is staying at 1. The time to worry about knock is if its under WOT in the higher rev range.

Thank you. I am leaning towards that as well, but my options for tuners around here are limited.

DAM has never changed but being a new motor, I want to do everything in my power to promote longevity.

You can reach out to e-tuners as an option also in the future. only drawback is you'll be doing the logs yourself on the street a few times rather than having the tuner do it in one shot on a dyno... I've done a few etunes with good success and others here also if you end up going that route.

I would think if you do a couple logs and send those over to your tuner he can review them and make sure it is running how he expected it to. or post them up here (hard to tell solely based on picture of max/min values). Do one 3rd gear pull, one steady state driving for a mile or so, may be worth a shot? I'd want peace of mind too after a new motor, but it sounds like you're keeping a good eye on things.

If you do a log, here is a good set of parameters to log:

AF learning 1

AF Correction 1

Boost

Calculated Load

Coolant temp

Dyn adv. Mult.

Feed back knock

fine knock learn

Ignition timing

Injector Duty Cycle

Intake Temp

MAF

MAF Voltage

RPM

Sense 1 Ratio (AFR)

Throttle Position

I need to get more comfortable with data logging.

I'm much better at turning a wrench than transferring files via computer.

I'm going to get more familiar with Cobb's instructions and get this done.

Thanks for the links and advice.

Its really simple actually! you go into the menu to set the logging parameters - this is a quick 1.5 minute video showing how (not mine, just googled it):

now that the list is set (you only have to do this once), anytime you are on the gauge screen you just hit the middle button to start a log, then hit it again to stop the log. when you plug the AP into your computer when you get home, open the accessport manager software and you can pull the log files to your desktop and post them via google drive or email them. you can open to view the logs with Excel or openoffice, or google sheets.

this is an older cobb video showing the V2 and how to datalog:

(they show resetting the data log list... you don't have to do that if you already set it to the list you want, skip to 2:15 on the video)

That video is helpful as is one that Cobb put out. Will I need to download software to my laptop, or is the AP already capable of communicating with my computer?

I'm assuming I need a mini USB to USB cable to connect to my computer as well.

That video is helpful as is one that Cobb put out. Will I need to download software to my laptop, or is the AP already capable of communicating with my computer?

I'm assuming I need a mini USB to USB cable to connect to my computer as well.

the AP manager software is here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/software/accessport-manager

Just click on your operating system type and download to your computer.

you can use any micro USB cable to connect to the PC (almost all recent android phones use this type), but you will need the software to pull datalogs off. the cable comes with the AP, check your box for it, might be in there.

the AP manager software is here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/software/accessport-manager

Just click on your operating system type and download to your computer.

you can use any micro USB cable to connect to the PC (almost all recent android phones use this type), but you will need the software to pull datalogs off. the cable comes with the AP, check your box for it, might be in there.

Thanks I'll download the software now.

As long as the knock is occuring at low load, low rpm, balanced or little throttle input, maybe bogging a little in whatever gear you are in, and your DAM isn't moving off of 1, I really think you're okay. I get a little bit of Feedback Knock and occasional -1 or so on the Fine Knock Learn with both my 2012 Legacy GT and my 2009 FXT at low load, low rpm and minimal throttle input while cruising. It seems to happen more in my Fozz especially when the automatic transmission torque converter seems to take a while to lock up on small throttle inputs, when in sport mode and using the paddle shifters, it happens less often. I only notice it on the GT when I am bogging it a little in 4th, 5th or 6th gear. All of the situations where I am seeing it is when the motor is in vac, not boost.

Knock in boost is really bad for the ringlands.

As long as the knock is occuring at low load, low rpm, balanced or little throttle input, maybe bogging a little in whatever gear you are in, and your DAM isn't moving off of 1, I really think you're okay. I get a little bit of Feedback Knock and occasional -1 or so on the Fine Knock Learn with both my 2012 Legacy GT and my 2009 FXT at low load, low rpm and minimal throttle input while cruising. It seems to happen more in my Fozz especially when the automatic transmission torque converter seems to take a while to lock up on small throttle inputs, when it sport mode and using the paddle shifters, it happens less often. I only notice it on the GT when I am bogging it a little in 4th, 5th or 6th gear. All of the situations where I am seeing it is when the motor is in vac, not boost.

Knock in boost is really bad for the ringlands.

Thats really what I need to determine I guess. I like the ability to monitor using the AP, but it can turn you into a hypochondriac real quick. :spin:

once you know the car is running properly, might want to hide the AP in the glovebox or at home... or you'll be addicted to checking it too often! make sure you take time to enjoy the car instead of worry TOO much. I understand checking it often at the beginning though ;)

I just don't fully trust this tuner even though he came highly recommended. I felt like he thought my car was beneath his services.

It's not a GT-R but its mine and I want it done right!

Archived