LegacyGT.com

Just a few Pre-purchase Qs

JaredS

Hey everyone,

Going to test drive a 98 GTB in the next few days and I was just curious on what I should be looking at and questions I should be asking the owner. It's imported from Japan to Canada and is on it's 3rd owner. 137kms. What are some parts that should have been replaced already, will need to be replaced soon etc.:)

Edited by JaredS

Welcome.

At 85 Thousand miles or 137Ks I would be looking at a few things especially since it’s on the third owner.

Has the car been modified in anyway? If so are their recipes for any major engine mods?

Has the turbo been replaced? What about the block? Timing belt would be a concern but that’s a fairly minor replacement cost of about $800.

Since the current owner most likely knows what they bought ask them about oil consumption and oil type they are using.

Did the current owner track the car at all? Try to get a sense of the car was driven hard.

Personally I see way to many used GTs and WRXs at dealers that still have mods and access ports on them. To me that’s a huge walk away alarm as honestly if I put those parts on the car I would also have driven it hard.

Any and all info would be of great help here.

Welcome.

At 85 Thousand miles or 137Ks I would be looking at a few things especially since it’s on the third owner.

Has the car been modified in anyway? If so are their recipes for any major engine mods?

Has the turbo been replaced? What about the block? Timing belt would be a concern but that’s a fairly minor replacement cost of about $800.

Since the current owner most likely knows what they bought ask them about oil consumption and oil type they are using.

Did the current owner track the car at all? Try to get a sense of the car was driven hard.

Personally I see way to many used GTs and WRXs at dealers that still have mods and access ports on them. To me that’s a huge walk away alarm as honestly if I put those parts on the car I would also have driven it hard.

Any and all info would be of great help here.

Only mods to the car have been the steering wheel and wheels. nothing with the engine.

Iirc the Turbos and Block are still stock and the timing belt was done at 89ks

Not sure about the headgaskets

1st owner was a Japanese collector, car was at 10k when it came over. All the inspection reports from the import and as mint as can be. First owner was a mechanic who's son was the one driving it. just daily while in highschool and 3rd owner drove it daily in for a few years.

Oil used was always 10w50 iirc changed every 5k filter every 10k

Car was never used for Track. Just driving to work/school everyday I assume.