LegacyGT.com

Just Blew Up My Reverse Gear

So on my way to work I merged onto the highway and got up to speed in 4th, went to skip into 6th and must have somehow picked up the lock collar and shifted into reverse... the shifter immediately got stuck with a nice loud grinding noise so I (panicked and) pushed the clutch in and limped to the shoulder.

I was able to force it out of "reverse" and my forward gears work fine, but the car will no longer go backwards on demand...

I got to work but I'm going to leave and try to limp to a transmission shop soon.

No one around me will rebuild a transmission anymore, so it looks like I'll be getting a whole new unit. I will have them do the clutch at the same time - is there anything else I should be replacing / upgrading while I'm at it?

Sincerely,

Stupid

You can have that rebuilt if you can accept the down-time.

That would be fine with me, but all of the local shops said they don't do in-house rebuilds anymore, just replace. Damn disposable economy...

I also don't have the time/inclination to take it out myself and ship it off somewhere.

Why will nobody do a rebuild? Option, find a good shop, have them pull the trans, then crate it to someone (who knows subarus), they swap the gear out, then crate it back, that shop slaps it back up and you are good to go. I just did this. Much cheaper. To crate the trans from Houston to Dallas ran me $200 each way. Just a thought -

Otherwise, you are right about replacing the clutch - great time to do it. Also, swap out the clutch fork and pivot ball with the Versus stuff (https://www.verus-engineering.com/product-page/fr-s-brz-gt86-billet-clutch-fork-pivot https://www.verus-engineering.com/product-page/forged-clutch-fork-2015-wrx)

Sorry about your luck. Like I said, this just happened to me - blew up 3rd gear (broke some teeth)

So on my way to work I merged onto the highway and got up to speed in 4th, went to skip into 6th and must have somehow picked up the lock collar and shifted into reverse... the shifter immediately got stuck with a nice loud grinding noise so I (panicked and) pushed the clutch in and limped to the shoulder.

I was able to force it out of "reverse" and my forward gears work fine, but the car will no longer go backwards on demand...

I got to work but I'm going to leave and try to limp to a transmission shop soon.

No one around me will rebuild a transmission anymore, so it looks like I'll be getting a whole new unit. I will have them do the clutch at the same time - is there anything else I should be replacing / upgrading while I'm at it?

Sincerely,

Stupid

you probably blew the reverse idler gear.

as for re-builders, give rallispec in West Berlin, NJ a buzz. they may be able to help you rebuild depending on the internal damage. they can also supply you with a front diff upgrade maybe. ;)

I finally found a shop not far away that will do a rebuild. They’re going to open it up next week and assess the damage / figure out what parts are needed.

This is looking like it’s going to be pretty expensive...

I suspect that the reason nobody want to try a rebuild is that it may have secondary damages not seen. Replacing synchros is a simple well-known job that don't contains a pile of unknowns.

One alternative is to get a used gearbox from a junk yard.

And this is one of the reasons why I hate having the reverse to the far right. Reverse gear shall go on the upper left, that way you wouldn't throw it in as easily by accident in high speeds.

shiftpattern.png

453747.png

Almost need a physical lockout for reverse so the collar does not slide up. I sometimes have that little bit of hesitation when shifting into 6th. Edited by Falcor

My old Celica had an additional spring preventing you from going in to reverse instead of a lockout. It almost took two hands to get it over that extra gate. It worked great, I don't know why they changed up to lockouts.