LegacyGT.com

Interest study: If the factory radio did it all!

HighlineCA

We have been in heavy development on our customized radio/hvac bezel. Being that we are on the circuit level, almost 3/4 of the time, we have discovered things inside the factory radio that many did know was there. Our bezel is definitely not the best solution for those looking for simple additions, such as an Aux-in or an easier form of RCA outputs. Many really just want to keep the factory look yet have the features found with almost all aftermarket radios nowadays.

What if we told you this: We could give you a FACTORY Aux-in, high power outputs with RCAs on the back, and the all so infamous Weatherband!

How is that possible? We have discovered the sequence to unlock UK radio tuning and the Weatherband section! We are still testing the Weatherband to find out if it even works on USDM models. Digging deeper, we found the on-board amplifier inputs (direct from volume controlled pre-amp). We were thinking about developing a 4v output circuit for Front, Rear, and Sub outputs directly on the back of the factory radio! (the sub would not be adjustable from the radio, though it will be low-passed)

The real question: How much? That is still in debate. We are defiantly trying to keep this project around $400, core included.

When will it be available? Quite soon with enough interest. The plus is we would be providing a modded core. There is zero down time and the whole mod will take around 3hrs per radio.

Factory looks, aftermarket performance, and the main thing: affordability.

Who's interested??

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds cool.

How about a just unlock of UK frequencies? I have a feeling my LGT will end up in Europe one day, and that would be cool to be able to use stock radio there.

Cool. Does it require modifications to the unit, or it could be user applied mod, like a plugin, or something?

Or is it just programming (you mention some unlocking sequence)?

So you can turn the mode selector (radio,CD...) to work towards the bottom and turn on the Aux in even if it don't say anything?

I would dig that!

Though I'm in the process of getting the DD conversion done by you, this could be a nice feature for my new OEM radio I'm running now as a backup.

It would have to be modded by us. Chances are good we would never release the unlock sequence.

The Weatherband built in would not need any sort of external box. Your satellite will not have any issues, assuming you have a SAT ready radio. The cores we would get would not have that feature.. nor would it have MP3 capability.

UK Freq would only be useful in UK... but then again, I have never owned a radio with that possibility here in the States, so Im not 100% what it would do for us. (this is not the heart of this mod. This is a bonus if you will).

Pill - you would need to send your radio in for the mod. Thus creating a bit of downtime.

This is not a kit. The mod would need to be done in-house. Certainly those that have radios with MP3 or SAT will need not purchase a core. We'll figure out the price of the mod if you send it in. Modding a core would make it easier for us, thus turnaround time for you would be literally, zero. You order, we send it out (when we get goin on them that is).

The ebay units we get are manufactured around early 2005. They will not have MP3 or SAT capability.

As for the blank button, kits available now use that same button. We plan to push it a step forward and getting the button etched for whatever you want it to say (iPod, MP3, Aux, Push, Click... or whatever you want) (this is in process now, more details on this later).

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

I am sure everyone here appreciates the work you guys are doing. I am interested to learn more about this new offering.

I have an 07 with Sat and the Aux-in. What I've found is that the volume for the Aux-in is lower than the Sat, CD or FM. Would your solution have a level adjustment? Maybe instead of re-creating the wheel, you could figure out how to have both Sat and the Subaru iPod input work together?

Not sure about others, but I would not need the sub out, since the crossover point would not be user-controllable. Any way to get that 4v to 8v like Eclipse? ;) Interested either way. My only concern with this mod is potential ground loops.

I have no idea what Weatherband is, so no need for me.

Archived