LegacyGT.com

Interest List for Manual 7th Generation

I'm sure you have heard the news. There's a 2020 Legacy turbo (XT) but it will only be available in CVT automatic transmission.

I'm hoping to start an interest list of those interested in a manual/GT model (spec B?!?), where in my wildest dreams this is presented to Subaru and they make one available (2021!?).

Never done this before. Perhaps even link to other forums. I'm a manual transmission advocate and I understand that it's decreasingly desired, but there will always be a small market for it.

What do you say?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL the reason the GT went away was because it was manual only and they sold around 212 of them. Yea not gonna happen.

227 in 2012 in the US. Plus a crap ton of recalls on the manuals..not gonna happen, unless thousands come up to SOA and demand it (fat chance), it'll never happen

Eyesight incompatible with mt, afaik.

Eyesight yes, but if honda can do it with a manual, Subaru can figure it out if they wanted to..but they prolly don't

I would be interested if they could couple it with Eyesight, but the R&D that would need to go into it to support the MT likely makes it cost prohibitive.

The Legacy XT will be an awesome grand touring car, the CVT will net it great milage and overall it will be a phenomenal car. I would work on petitioning Cobb to start development on the 2.4DIT tuning. That is something I could see happening realistically and would benefit lots of folks.

We at AZP will of course be closely supporting the Legacy XT community!

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971)

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I would be interested if they could couple it with Eyesight, but the R&D that would need to go into it to support the MT likely makes it cost prohibitive.

The Legacy XT will be an awesome grand touring car, the CVT will net it great milage and overall it will be a phenomenal car. I would work on petitioning Cobb to start development on the 2.4DIT tuning. That is something I could see happening realistically and would benefit lots of folks.

We at AZP will of course be closely supporting the Legacy XT community!

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971)

Mike,

I remember taking my 3.6R to you for exhaust and suspension work in the end of 16 and you guys were PHENOMENAL! My biggest concern is the CVT still has the issue of 300wtq and going boom. The 2.4DIT with a few bolt ons (appropriate intercooler, correct downpipe and headers...in the same of economy and not showing up the STi) would easily hit that. The question is can we make the transmission withstand that power.

The question is can we make the transmission withstand that power.

The question with transmission capacity is torque, not power. That said, Subaru tech documents state that contact pressure between the Variator chain and cones in the existing CVTs is already as high as 150,000 psi ... which just doesn't leave much room for an increase in capacity through simple hacks like increasing secondary pressure. (150,000 psi is higher than the yield strength of many low-grade steels!) Likely a newer, higher torque capacity CVT design will be required.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Mike,

I remember taking my 3.6R to you for exhaust and suspension work in the end of 16 and you guys were PHENOMENAL! My biggest concern is the CVT still has the issue of 300wtq and going boom. The 2.4DIT with a few bolt ons (appropriate intercooler, correct downpipe and headers...in the same of economy and not showing up the STi) would easily hit that. The question is can we make the transmission withstand that power.

Thanks for the kind words!

I'd look at it this way. The Ascent is heavier and has a 5K towing capacity. The stresses that you will see from the weight and towing likely will give the Legacy XT a decent margin for error. Add in an external fluid cooler and don't launch it, likely will help extend the life of it.

Will this car be gutted out and become a club race car? Not likely. An upgraded downpipe with highflow cat, an AP with a stage 2 tune on it, upgraded suspension though are all within the realm of possibility to make it a fun grand touring car imo.

-Mike Paisan

AZP Website | Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971)

Lol.

The people that would be drawn to an XT model will not want to go anywhere near a CVT and the people that would tolerate a CVT or dont even know what one is will not want to drive or pay for an XT.

[redacted]

Edited by ammcinnis
NVA

Lol.

The people that would be drawn to an XT model will not want to go anywhere near a CVT and the people that would tolerate a CVT or dont even know what one is will not want to drive or pay for an XT.

Good job morons! :rolleyes:

There aren’t many if any AWD Grand Touring cars with manuals so I don’t see that as a deciding factor.

Mike

... a crap ton of recalls on the manuals...

The only recall I am aware of is the parking brake one, which has nothing to do with the transmission as the same parts are in the automatics/CVTs... it's more because a manual transmission doesn't "park" the way an automatic does, so if the brake fails, the car can roll away.

Anyway - the odds of a manual returning to the Legacy are probably about zero unless Subaru tries to make another "Spec. B" type car, and even then, if it happens, it would probably only be an option.

Younger folks don't know how to drive them, and the mileage numbers can be made better with a CVT, so I am guessing the manual stays with the WRX and STi in the future... maybe in the base Impreza, too?

I totally relate. For me, the joy of driving a manual is having total control of your gear selection, being able to pick your shift points, heal toeing, and using engine breaking. Its such a good feeling when you know that the car is performing well largely because of your inputs as a driver. However, newer transmissions seem to consistently shift faster and more efficiently than a person could do it manually.

So I guess its somewhat a technology dilemma. Do manufacturers make an automatic that shifts faster than we can manually or do they just continue making manual transmissions because we enjoy driving them.

One day I had the revelation that having a manual transmission is also a built in security system, since young folks can't drive them.

I would like to see Cobb R&D get busy on support for the new 2.4L turbo.

Honestly, I'd be happy with a good rev-matching automatic 8 spd, like the Aisin in the Lexuses or the ZF 8HP in everything else. I really like radar cruise control. It takes a lot of the fatigue out of a 90 mile per day commute, especially when I hit stop-and-go traffic on the highway. Manuals are incompatible with 0-mph radar cruise control.

I totally relate. For me, the joy of driving a manual is having total control of your gear selection, being able to pick your shift points, heal toeing, and using engine breaking. Its such a good feeling when you know that the car is performing well largely because of your inputs as a driver. However, newer transmissions seem to consistently shift faster and more efficiently than a person could do it manually.

So I guess its somewhat a technology dilemma. Do manufacturers make an automatic that shifts faster than we can manually or do they just continue making manual transmissions because we enjoy driving them.

One day I had the revelation that having a manual transmission is also a built in security system, since young folks can't drive them.

I would like to see Cobb R&D get busy on support for the new 2.4L turbo.

TxrWjA45NVTEVPLeCeichIaPA1bBTGSfWYDfJ1jjKGmnOzSCLBh+EY3ns6y+DaJr2iK+OVU8nUFUq4MZ3lKZcDe4IwF2O7p0WacQAA==

Honestly, I'd be happy with a good rev-matching automatic 8 spd, like the Aisin in the Lexuses or the ZF 8HP in everything else. I really like radar cruise control. It takes a lot of the fatigue out of a 90 mile per day commute, especially when I hit stop-and-go traffic on the highway. Manuals are incompatible with 0-mph radar cruise control.

Not likely to happen. Subaru doesn't have the leverage to purchase those units unfortunately.

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

Not likely to happen. Subaru doesn't have the leverage to purchase those units unfortunately.

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

Indeed. They went all in on developing their CVT tech. I have had three of them now, and they continue to get incrementally better. The 13 Legacy was really rubber-band like, with no simulated gears. It may have been more efficient, but it was really terrible to drive. We returned that on a 15 Legacy, which was mostly inoffensive. I now have an 18 Impreza, and the CVT pretty much behaves like a lazy automatic. The only gripe I really have about it is that the car is tuned to leave the throttle open when you let off at highway speeds. The coasting took a lot to get used to and I find myself using the brake more often than I like, because people around here cannot pick a constant speed to travel down the interstate. As I understand it, that behavior is intentional to improve fuel economy.

I wish I could control my speed like I could in my manual cars. Lift=Deceleration.

I wish I could control my speed like I could in my manual cars. Lift=Deceleration.

Electric cars with regen braking will be the savior. Love my i3's regen braking. Better braking than a manual. Makes me dislike slushboxes even more.