LegacyGT.com

Help me choose which car

geremy

Hi, First, this will be a long post... I just moved from Florida to Massachussets (sp?) and I need a new car that is winter capable. I have zero experience driving in snow or ice (but lots of experience in the wet). I'd like a 'near-luxury' car that is fun to drive. My last 3 cars have been manual (mitsubishi eclipse, vw GTI VR6, and WRX) but I think now, living in Boston with tons of traffic and crazy people and parallel parking and such, my wife and I would prefer an auto transmission. Also, I am assuming it will be easier to learn to drive in the winter with an auto. My current top selections for my next car are the Legacy GT limited sedan, VW Passat GLS 4motion, Acura TSX (w/ nav) and Volvo S40 T5 (haven't decided between AWD or not). My thoughts on each car: Legacy GT limited sedan: very nice interior, but I want the beige interior and the wood trim looks pretty cheap. I am wondering if someone will release a kit to replace the crappy wood with nice wood trim (as is available in other countries, maybe we can just order a genuine subaru replacement?). Also, my last car was a WRX, and while it was a solid fun to drive car, it wasn't without it's problems. I had to have most of gears and all the synchros replaced at 30K and by 40K there was serious belt squeekage that had to be adjusted multiple times. In addition there were many rattles (especially from the glovebox). I only had the car for 3 years or so but it seemed to age prematurely, and I maintained it very well (and it was garaged) and my wife (who drove most of the time) is a very gentle driver. So while reliability was not suspect (as everything was covered under warranty) but build quality is. A plus for the car is that it has everything I want except navi, and it is brand new so the body style won't change very soon. I told you this would be long. Passat GLS 4motion: Same price as the legacy, benchmark interior (though I think the legacy interior flows more). In general I think of VW as very high build-quality but suspect reliability (based on experience with the GTI). The car feels and drives pretty solid, and I don't expect it to age prematurely. The car doesn't have nearly as much power, but I would definately chip it with a GIACUSA chip. I had one in my GTI and it was an excellent upgrade. It would probably feel just as fast (my GTI always felt faster than my WRX, even though it wasn't really close). The major flaw is that the body style and interior will be all new either late '05 or early '06. I'm not sure this would affect resale that much as passat buyers are generally older and not so much into the latest and greatest. Acura TSX: I have owned a honda before ('93 Civic coupe DX), and that thing just didn't age in the 4 years I owned it and was 100% reliable. The TSX could even be labeled the most luxurious and has a very nice navi system, but it is front wheel drive. Having never driven in winter before I don't know how much worse FWD is compared to AWD. There are some minor updates to the '05 model but I expect a major revision in '06 which will most definately affect retail. This car will feel the slowest because of a relative lack of torque. Basically the car is probably the highest quality but you get less car for the money (aside from the navi). Volvo S40 T5. This is the most expensive car by the time I bring the options up to be comprable with the other cars (AWD, moonroof, auto, probably can't afford navi and would skip the leather for the special volvo plastic seats). I know nothing about volvo reliability (have heard varying stories). The car is all new so it won't be changed for a while which is a plus. Appears very high build quality, second in power to subaru. Very solid car, handsome, etc. Also the T5 AWD models are not very numerous and dealers don't seem to be coming down much (in comparison to the Subaru and the VW where dealers are really willing to deal). Volvo offers no real financing incentives, however the warrenty seems pretty good (I think 4 year 50K miles) and includes free service during the warrenty, which is pretty cool. Summary: Legacy: AWD+, Speed++, Reliability+, build quality-, navi-, wood- Passat: AWD+, Build Quality+, Reliability-, navi-, speed= (push) TSX: FWD-, Build Quality+, Reliability+, navi+, speed= Volvo: Price-, AWD+, Build Quality+, Speed+, Realibility?? Thanks for the help ;)

The TSX was brand new in 2004, doubtful you'll see "major revisions" for the 2006 model. Honda/Acura pretty much follow the 4 year policy. Meaning, major change every 4 years, with minor changes 1/2 way in between. I wouldn't expect a major change to the TSX until the 2008 model car. I could be wrong. If you are used to the WRX and chipped GTI power, you won't be happy here. Major revision of Passat next year. You'd regret getting the current model. It's basically been around since 1998, with a refreshening in 2001.5 Still a VERY nice car...not too many reliability issues with the Passat though. I think they are still made in Germany. It's mostly been the Mexican made Jetta and New Beetle producing the most problems...is anyone surprised? Volvo is a nice car. I drove it, but it just wasn't for me. My fiance likes the car though. Get's pricey with the desired options too. Legacy GT Brand new, powerful, good looking, AWD, priced right. May not be as nice inside as the others, but it ain't bad. Hard to beat for all around performance, luxury, good looks, reliability, etc.

Archived