LegacyGT.com

Help, BIU (Body Control) possibly Dead?

SOLVED

Car starts and runs but the following doesn't work:

Dome, map, trunk and door lights

Radio

HVAC display (HVAC does turn on and work)

Key Fob

Information display showing that doors are open

It looks like the BIU controls all of those things so I'm suspecting it.

Checked all the fuses 3 times with a meter (no joke), both under the hood and on the drivers side.

A bit of back story. Had the car in the garage to fix both the front door weather stripping. Made my own fix/bracket to insure that stupid plastic tab never breaks again. Anyhow over the corse of about 48 hrs I had the door open and put the window up and down a few times. turned off the dome light to save the battery and everything was fine. Put the door card back on, turned the key to IGN/ACC and noticed no radio, then noticed the lights weren't working.

No issues at all the day before I brought it into the garage.

Fuse or circuit issue. BIU doesn’t have any control over the Radio/HVAC display. If the BIU was dead, your car wouldn’t be able to start at all.

You may have shorted something out in your door work, which lead the the blown fuses.

Thanks for forcing me to look again. It was the only fuse I some how missed. I had someone else meter all of them also and they also missed it so I don't feel too bad.

Well I know how I missed it. Subaru put it by itself beside a spare fuse and also labeled it as "backup". If anyone is wondering its fuse number 8 under the hood. More confusingly subaru doesn't list the fuse numbers on the fuse block.

So I traced back something I knew wasn't working, took me to fuse 8 but didn't tell me the name of it (turns out its call "backup" ). Found the page in the service manual that shows the fuse numbers with their location in the fuse block. Sure enough.

Simple if you aren't tired and panicked.

Again thanks utc, you kicked me in the right direction.

Archived