LegacyGT.com

Heater core? Engine smoking when heater on, leak under passenger...

hadesnuggz

I just bought a 2006 Outback XT with 130k.

It's been in my yard for about a month and I drove it only a couple times.

Today I put the heat and defrost on, and drove a short distance to my moms, within a couple minutes, white smoke was coming out of my hood scoop and i smelled burning.

I got to my mom's within a minute and opened the hood. Smoke was coming from the passenger side of the engine, and there was liquid leaking from underneath tye passenger seat area.

I also noticed a dirty liquid stain when changing the cabin filter, on the cloth underneath the glovebox shield.

So when I drove home, I turned off the heat right away and no more smoking on the way home.

So is this heater core?

It seems on the internet that the only way to replace is by removing the entire cluster and dash! Seriously?

Not really sure what to do about this because even though I don't use it now, I'll need to shortly. And it's going to be December in Wisconsin.

Thanks for any input guys!

1391265620_20201126_141745_HDR2.thumb.jpg.d148af43b1053a58cd701bbd69d6550d.jpg

My thoughts... I don't think it's the heater core.

The AC drain line drips somewhere near the passenger seat. I know it's late November, but I still wonder if you've maybe been using your AC to clear fog or something from your windows. (After reading your post again you mention defrost, I think that turns the AC on?) The stains on the glovebox padding could also be from an ac drain hose that maybe got backed up or something.

posting this link to show the ac drain hose

http://viru-n-cars.blogspot.com/2009/10/aug-2009-subaru-legacy-ac-water-leak-in.html

Smoke from the passenger side of the engine could be from multiple things, an oil or coolant leak somewhere. I'm not sure what to say about the smoking stopping once you turned the heat off, I think that's just a coincidence.

If its a heater core, you'll smell anti-freeze inside the car when the heater is on.

Give that AC drain line a quick blast of air from a compressor.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here