LegacyGT.com

Header to up pipe issue - need some help

brywisco

Hi -

My 05 LGT wagon's exhaust started 'farting' then went full on 'tractor' mode.

I crawled under the car and see the joint between the exhaust headers and the up pipe is toast!

The typical up pipe pics I see online show bolted flanges instead of the springy thing in pic.

Any insight as to what I may have here? I'm not certain what brand exhaust I have at the moment BTW but my downpipe is an Invidia.

Many thanks!!

1129145592_headertouppipe1.jpg.cb682020e85f30851f0b5d33302de980.jpg

Interesting, that looks like a 4-1 collector, straight into a flex section.

That's been shot for a good long while. There used to be a wire mess of sorts there. Judging by how little is left, it's been a while... Essentially, something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/02-17-SUBARU-WRX-STI-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-HEADER-W-FLEX-PIPE-UPPIPE-W-VBAND-WG/253090556560

Or this when it was new:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2006-Subaru-Impreza-Wrx-Sti-Dohc-2-0L-Exhaust-Header-W-Turbo-Upper-Pipe/152914931111

Kinda looks like an eBay special, doesn't look like a brand name.

You either need to get someone to weld a new flex joint in there or straight up replace it with something else (headers and up-pipe)

OK - so I am up for replacing the headers and up pipe but need some guidance.

What is a decent package to look at buying?

My car is a stage 2 daily driver and I have to drive it thru wisconsin winters. I am not looking for anything fancy etc. I value long term reliability over ricey.

I will have a local shop install as I don't relish attempting this without a lift.

Thanks guys!!

So I was able to ghetto-wrap this for now and need to order a new header and up pipe.

I ask again here for some suggestions.

I am looking at stuff like these:

Tomei Expreme unequal length (with up pipe - no flex)

Tomioka Racing Unequal Length Exhaust Manifold - has up pipe included (no flex section)

Borla unequal length header (no up pipe tho)

I am confused about compatability of different up pipes with headers. Like will a grimmspeed up pipe bolt up to some other brand header???

Is the flex pipe desired - like grimmspeed up pipe has?

I'm overwhlemed yet need to order something asap!

Thanks a ton fellow Legacy owners!!

Honestly, I’d go with a factory manifold and ‘08-09 LGT or STi catless up-pipe. That’s the most cost effective route and fitment should be spot on. If going aftermarket, just look for 2-bolt vs 3-boot header/up-pipe connections.

You should have posted this in the 4th Forum. May have gotten more replies.

Yea I know this is the exhaust forum...but most issues with GT's get more repliers in the 4th Gen forum.

You may want to replace the oil return hose from the turbo too while your in there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived