LegacyGT.com

Have Koni/Eibach.. Think I want to go softer..

MaStaMooN

Hey all,

Ive been thinking about switching up my suspension, pulling out the koni/eibach combo I installed 2 or 3 years ago and putting in something a bit more compliant. It can be pretty harsh at some times and as the car is aging, I feel like its just too much.

What would be a step between stock suspension and what I currently have? Id like to keep the ride height of the Eibachs (or close to it). So im basically looking for something that feels closer to stock but with the drop to kill the crazy fender gap.

Is there such a thing without spending a crazy amount of money for some highend coilovers or something?

How long have you had your Konis? Most people love them. Is it really that harsh of a ride? I'm leaning towards Konis, but now you've got me wondering.

Pavement without potholes and stuff are fine.. drives great. Anything sort of break in the pavement is pretty jarring sometimes. Really lets you know you have lose stuff in your car lol

Do you have the Koni's set to full soft?

I think I have them set at about a half turn from soft... Maybe even a quarter turn... Ill have to check again.

Would lower control arm bushings contribute to the jarring?

nah, that's wiggly steering / uneven tire wear / strange tracking behavior.

I am not sure of the drop on King springs. But if you look into King Lowering Springs (this will be around $500 I think) they might be softer. They are progressive so initial travel is much softer.

nah, that's wiggly steering / uneven tire wear / strange tracking behavior.

I am not sure of the drop on King springs. But if you look into King Lowering Springs (this will be around $500 I think) they might be softer. They are progressive so initial travel is much softer.

I'm still trying to find somebody that has Koni/H&R on their 05-09 Outback. I'm not sure if I want to keep the HR springs on them, or put stock LGT springs on them.

i dont know your setup but the kyb excel is better than stock. stiffer and more responsive.

on stock springs with lighter wheels and lighter brake rotors the jostling has been greatly reduced. much more controlled over speed bumps etc. more compliant and more active while being a little stiffer.

Meh. The Excel-Gs are really a stock replacement. Sure, they're better than your 100k mile OE shocks, but they really aren't any better than new OEM pieces. And the OEM Bilsteins (spec.B suspension) are better than Excels in every way, and the Bilstein HDs or most of the JDM Bilstein shocks are much better. KYB AGXs are supposed to be decent, not a very popular option.
I put something here like all the cool people, except there's nothing cool to put here.

Meh. The Excel-Gs are really a stock replacement. Sure, they're better than your 100k mile OE shocks, but they really aren't any better than new OEM pieces. And the OEM Bilsteins (spec.B suspension) are better than Excels in every way, and the Bilstein HDs or most of the JDM Bilstein shocks are much better. KYB AGXs are supposed to be decent, not a very popular option.

I agree. I used Excel-G in my old (non-Subaru) car, they are good standard replacement that last a fair while as well. I guess AGX isn't as popular because it's more expensive than Excel-G? People usually go Koni/other by then as well.

you speaking from experience? with the spc b i think not. i barely made it to 70k (if i was that far in) when i changed them out. im at 93k now. nothing was worn except 1 rear strut leaking oil so changed out all 4.

i have them and they are in fact stiffer than stock. its what he asked. they are more responsive and not as spongy.

you sound like the type of person whom says the jdm sway bar is the same as usdm.

with the excels theres no drama. nothing to change out. just the struts. had no problems following a mini through a decreasing radius. flat cornering as well. stock springs. stock height. drive in snow with them as well.

you have 0 toe like other misinformed people?

please specifically state why the bilstiens are better in every way. first hand experience would be nice.

thanks.

you speaking from experience?

Lol, well no, but then again you aren't either...have you directly compared the KYBs to new OEM? I don't argue that Excels are superior to worn stockers.

with the spc b i think not. i barely made it to 70k (if i was that far in) when i changed them out. im at 93k now. nothing was worn except 1 rear strut leaking oil so changed out all 4.

i have them and they are in fact stiffer than stock. its what he asked. they are more responsive and not as spongy.

you sound like the type of person whom says the jdm sway bar is the same as usdm.

And...why would I say that?

with the excels theres no drama. nothing to change out. just the struts. had no problems following a mini through a decreasing radius. flat cornering as well. stock springs. stock height. drive in snow with them as well.

you have 0 toe like other misinformed people?

please specifically state why the bilstiens are better in every way. first hand experience would be nice.

thanks.

Ok so forgive me for repeating reliable info like 90% of sane people (who actually use proper spelling and capitalization) on these forums! But yes, I do have Bilsteins and like them just fine, thank you very much. They are better than KYBs because they were tuned specifically for the Legacy, they have inverted monotube construction, and because Bilstein>KYB any day. (You get what you pay for and all that.) They ride fairly soft...mine are quite worn, so they well might be softer than your beloved Excel-Gs which is great because I didn't buy a spec.B for a race car. But stiffness is a tiny part in shock performance...they're better damped while still controlling body roll quite well. But by all means, keep hatin' and don't let me persuade you that cheap KYBs aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I put something here like all the cool people, except there's nothing cool to put here.

Lol, well no, but then again you aren't either...have you directly compared the KYBs to new OEM? I don't argue that Excels are superior to worn stockers.

And...why would I say that?

Ok so forgive me for repeating reliable info like 90% of sane people (who actually use proper spelling and capitalization) on these forums! But yes, I do have Bilsteins and like them just fine, thank you very much. They are better than KYBs because they were tuned specifically for the Legacy, they have inverted monotube construction, and because Bilstein>KYB any day. (You get what you pay for and all that.) They ride fairly soft...mine are quite worn, so they well might be softer than your beloved Excel-Gs which is great because I didn't buy a spec.B for a race car. But stiffness is a tiny part in shock performance...they're better damped while still controlling body roll quite well. But by all means, keep hatin' and don't let me persuade you that cheap KYBs aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread.

haha. are you for real?

i said i replaced oem with the kyb. you failed to read that.

you failed to speak with experience.

you failed to know that IF i wanted spec b anything i would buy it. i dont make fun of you for all the cheap crap you buy do i? judging by your comments you bought it used. yes? this isnt high school. your pockets arent deep. so you should grow up a bit and know the meaning of cheap vs inexpensive.

its called "internet writing". spelling and caps dont apply for me. haha.

kyb made the stock struts and their aftermarket is a shade better.

he asked for better than stock. i gave an option to which of 0 experience you downplayed.

you admittedly stated your struts are worn. how can you trust your own opinion?

inverted. non inverted. lose some unsprung weight at the corners and then see what happens.

so many mods people do are opposing what the desire should be. people want good brakes then complain about good pads dusting so they use a pad that doesnt have as much friction. they ask for a bov/bpv for the noise. want bright headlights but buy lower lumen led. they buy high kelvin lights and wonder why its not bright. btw, the original ddm kit lasted me 8 years before a bulb finally went. the poor suggestions for alignments are terrible here.

enough ramble for now. in short...ive had good experience with the kyb excel and stock springs along with the loss of unsprung mass. i can give a ride to a 70 year old without complaint or chase a mini down through a decreasing radius.

I speak from experience. Here is my what I've had:

1) 2008 2.5i with OE struts changed to new KYBs at 90k.

2) 2008 LGT with RCE Tarmac 1 coilovers changed to new KYBs

3) 2008 3.0R with stock Bilstein Spec B struts. Owned from 89k to currently at 112k

I like new KYBs. They feel stock, but not too harsh. However, I find the Spec B Bilstein more "comfortable" overall. They seem to glide more smoothly and absorb road perturbations more competently than the KYBs. Compression and rebound just seems "better". I'm not sure how to quantify it objectively.

To the OPs question: I don't think there is any way you'll get a softer ride AND keep the dropped suspension height. It's contradictory. You may read rave reviews from people who swear they have a nice ride when lowered, but it's likely their tolerance for harshness is much lower than yours. You are currently on what many people describe as the "best riding" setup with Koni's and Eibachs. I don't think swapping over to Bilstein's on your lowered springs will make it any more of a comfortable ride than what you have now. Coilovers are definitely not the answer for a comfortable ride. I had a top quality set with low mileage (RCE Tarmac 1s) adjusted at a reasonable height and it was still a relatively harsh ride.

I speak from experience. Here is my what I've had:

1) 2008 2.5i with OE struts changed to new KYBs at 90k.

2) 2008 LGT with RCE Tarmac 1 coilovers changed to new KYBs

3) 2008 3.0R with stock Bilstein Spec B struts. Owned from 89k to currently at 112k

I like new KYBs. They feel stick, but not too harsh. However, I find the Spec B Bilstein more "comfortable" overall. They seem to glide more smoothly and absorb road perturbations more competently than the KYBs. Compression and rebound just seems "better". I'm not sure how to quantify it objectively.

To the OPs question: I don't think there is any way you'll get a softer ride AND keep the dropped suspension height. It's contradictory. You may read rave reviews from people who swear they have a nice ride when lowered, but it's likely their tolerance for harshness is much lower than yours You are currently on what many people describe as the "best riding" setup with Koni's and Eibachs. I don't think swapping over to Bilstein's on your lowered springs will make it any more of a comfortable ride than what you have now. Coilovers are definitely not the answer for a comfortable ride. I had a top quality set with low mileage (RCE Tarmac 1s) adjusted at a reasonable height and it was still a relatively harsh ride.

You're right. With lowering springs you'll always lose some ride quality, no matter what struts you're running.

To the OPs question: I don't think there is any way you'll get a softer ride AND keep the dropped suspension height. It's contradictory. You may read rave reviews from people who swear they have a nice ride when lowered, but it's likely their tolerance for harshness is much lower than yours You are currently on what many people describe as the "best riding" setup with Koni's and Eibachs. I don't think swapping over to Bilstein's on your lowered springs will make it any more of a comfortable ride than what you have now. Coilovers are definitely not the answer for a comfortable ride. I had a top quality set with low mileage (RCE Tarmac 1s) adjusted at a reasonable height and it was still a relatively harsh ride.

Yeah this is what I believe is the answer.

Is there any stock suspension that is lower than the lgt stock?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Found out my tire inflation device wasn't reading correctly. My tires were filled to around 42 psi most of the time. I got a new setup and backed them down to 38/36 and the ride has gotten a little more compliant.

Id still like it to be a little more forgiving but I dont think its possible without putting on springs with less of a drop.

Archived