LegacyGT.com

Guide me to gauges...

I'm on an e85 tune with rotated 400+hp.

I think it might be time for some gauges since I don't monitor often.

I would like to spend as little as possible but above the bar of having my dash scream "kill me now". To that end I am thinking I need oil pressure, boost, and afr. Any reason I would need more then that?

Which brand gauges will look the best without spending jdm defi money?

Should I be considering a different combo of gauges?

Where do I find a 3 gauge cut out for the cubby?

Are there other things I should think of?

Thanks!

VEI Systems makes dual gauges. They are pretty cool if you want digital readouts. And good quality too. I have a trans temp and water temp one I just need to install in my Fozz. Also plan to run oil press and oil temp, and a boost and afr gauge. 6 gauges in the footprint of 3.

http://www.veisystems.com/ws/8-d1-series-dual-function-gauges

On a lot of cars the stock coolant temp gauge is more of a 3 step circuit than an actual gauge. They basically read cold, normal, and overheated. Not sure if the LGT gauge falls under this umbrella but if it does you might want to get a real gauge to know if you're running warmer or cooler than you should. Doesn't the accessport V3 have a gauge screen?

You could also use the torque app and your phone or aeroforce gauges, or a scangauge or ultra gauge for readings of what the computer is monitoring. Digital readings are fine for things like engine temp but I like a fast reacting mechanical gauge for vac/boost.

Are you tuned open source or Cobb?

I would recommend Defi's racer series. You can daisy chain the power source and they're not THAT pricey... but still pricey. I have their oil pressure gauge. The threads on the sender are plug-n-play and the gauge itself perfectly macthes the OEM cluster. It's also the most high quality aftermarket gauge I've ever dealt with. PLX is another excellent choice as well. I have their wideband AFR and DM-6 digital gauge, it's amazingly nice and you can have a dozen sending units daisy chained into a single gauge face. The face is touch sensitive and you can display 2 values at once and swap between digital readout, graph etc. If I were you, I would just get the PLX wideband setup, an extra DM-6, and the oil pressure and boost/vac sending units. Daisy chain them together and link up the displays installed in a JCS cubby pod. You'll have a cleaner 2 gauge setup, and the cubby door can be closed for stealth mode. You can also sub the boost gauge for the AP if you have a Cobb tune, or a VBG1.5 if you get lucky in the classifieds. ;)

You really want to be careful cheaping out with any type of monitoring equipment, because one of the worst things in the world is thinking you cased your motor because a sending unit stopped working, or vice versa.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Are you tuned open source or Cobb?

I would recommend Defi's racer series. You can daisy chain the power source and they're not THAT pricey... but still pricey. I have their oil pressure gauge. The threads on the sender are plug-n-play and the gauge itself perfectly macthes the OEM cluster. It's also the most high quality aftermarket gauge I've ever dealt with. PLX is another excellent choice as well. I have their wideband AFR and DM-6 digital gauge, it's amazingly nice and you can have a dozen sending units daisy chained into a single gauge face. The face is touch sensitive and you can display 2 values at once and swap between digital readout, graph etc. If I were you, I would just get the PLX wideband setup, an extra DM-6, and the oil pressure and boost/vac sending units. Daisy chain them together and link up the displays installed in a JCS cubby pod. You'll have a cleaner 2 gauge setup, and the cubby door can be closed for stealth mode. You can also sub the boost gauge for the AP if you have a Cobb tune, or a VBG1.5 if you get lucky in the classifieds. ;)

You really want to be careful cheaping out with any type of monitoring equipment, because one of the worst things in the world is thinking you cased your motor because a sending unit stopped working, or vice versa.

Since the vb1 is so expensive and rare (and puts me back into jdm defi territory)is there anyway to run an identical looking boost gauge alongside the other two in the cubby?

I mean, yes. With a three gauge cubby pod and three of the same brand gauges. :) If you're talking about the PLX setup; you can have as many displays as you have sending units.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Depends. For daily driving I'd say yes but at the track I'd say no. Overheated oil(which can easily happen on the track) thins out/can chemically change and can cause just as many problems as low oil pressure. I'd be really surprised if a daily driver even came close to that situation though...

Well defi gauges are $200 each. Might as well pay for the jdm sti version at that point. The VEI systems seem like the cheapest option. For $357 I can get a dual vac/boost with sensor and a dual oil temp/pressure with sensors. If its red I don't think it will be ugly and I can control brightness which will help with continuity. The PLX puts me at $500 for 3 sensor modules, one dm 6 multi gauge.

I think I am going to wait till black friday and pick up the VEI stuff for the best price I can find it.

Isn't pressure more important then temp?

It's difficult to monitor the pressure while you're driving, it's constantly changing. It's a great tool to have when if you're trying to trouble shoot an issue but on I don't look at it on a normal basis. I would still recommend having a pressure gauge, but with a good running car I don't pay much attention to it.

Same thing with the boost gauge. Sure, it's fun for awhile to watch it bounce around but unless you're trying to trouble shoot an issue you're not looking at the gauge when you're behind the wheel at 18+psi.

The oil temp is a much more accurate temp gauge IMO. I try and keep it under 3k rpms until the oil temp is over 80c. That way I know the oil is up to temp before I get into boost. Same thing in the summer, I can see that its running really hot if I'm in traffic when it's 90 degrees outside and the oil is over 100c.

Are you sure?

PLX iMFD wideband/DM-6 combo: $190

PLX SM-Fluidtemp $85

PLX SM-Boost/Vac $100

Grand Total: $375

Fluid pressure is more expensive then fluid temp. Also vei gets me pressure/temp/boost/afr on 4 seperate readouts on two gauges for less then then the plx system would only give 3 of those option on 1 gauge. I cant see why I would spend more on plex.

The main reason I want pressure and temp is because I want to know when its ok to drive off with my forged pistons instead of waiting ten minutes to warm the car each time I start it.

Don't forget you still need to buy a wideband sensor and controller with a 5v output for the VEI system... so add another ~$150 to the total cost. I'm not sure if you saw that.

VEI Wideband/Boost: $148

VEI Pressure/temp: $186

Innovate LC-2: $162 (Amazon)

Grand total: $495

Either way, I'm sure they're both good systems.

I monitor boost and water temp thru the Accessport so that allows you to do two 52mm gauges in the cubby. One for Oil Pressure and one for AFR or Oil Temp. Think AFR is readable on the Accessport too? The three gauge layout on the screen is pretty readable. I have it mounted to the vent just to the right of the drivers wheel so its just over my right hand when holding the steering wheel.

I am tremendously interested in the VEI setup. Where are you purchasing the system, XTEA?
Amazon is the best way to get the VEI gauges because it's directly from VEI. I ordered one of mine thru one of their dealers, egauges IIRC, and it took freaking 6 weeks to get and the customer service sucked, I had to call the guy 3 times when it didn't arrive when he said it would and never gave me any tracking.

The info I saw made it seem like I could use my lc2 wide band which I think comes with a controller. Ill double check.
Yep! That LC2/controller combo has the 0-5v output you'd need for the VEI setup. In that case, definitely VEI as you're already 1/3 the way there cost wise anyways.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Archived