LegacyGT.com

Great Debate

As some of you know when I go silent for some time that's probably not a good thing :lol:

Of course my head is ever spinning with ideas so here we go for our topic of conversation...

Long story short, my 5thgen has been down another year (go figure right?) And I picked up a 4thgen wagon last Oct for 2g. Been great car this car, however the mod bug itches at me like crazy.

I listed it on our local forum for 3g because I had found a 4thgen GT manual wagon and I was chomping at the bit to buy it. Had finances aligned to buy it but had a gut feeling that I was rushing it. Sure enough, car turned out to be a lemon.

Today I was offered the full the 3g for my car so now here's where we are.

Scenario 1-

Sell my wagon for the 3g. Resort back to mobbing a family members car for a few months and use that 3g to pay towards my 5thgen and get it back on the road.

Scenario 2-

Sell the wagon, use the 3g to start getting my 5thgen back on the road but meanwhile find a 10-14outback for less than 15grand (anticipating payment ~275) or 08-12 Forester. Then still slowly work the GT back to glory.

Scenario 3-

Sell the wagon, use the 3g to get the 5thgen back on the road HOWEVER find a 5-8g vehicle. Which this time I'd find a Jeep Renegade, Chevy TrailBlazer, or Jeep Cherokee. Being to still use for my outdoor lifestyle but I could have a bit more fun with modding than an outback/fozzy that isn't already high mileage or beat up.

Scenario 4-

I call this one the "Grown-up..." Scenario.

Meaning don't sell the wagon. Wait things out at my new job to see how it goes, see if I bonus, take that money to put towards the 5thgen. Keeps me from any car payments and just continue to play the waiting game to fix my car.

Scenario 5-

Say **** it. Sell the wagon, sell my 5thgen. Buy a newer 4runner.

Regret it all within a few months and come crawling back to Subaru in a Fozzy, Crosstrek, WRX.

Who's already finished their pizza after reading my novel?

I'd like to offer up Scenario 2 with a twist. But 6mt 10-14 outback and drive with the measly 2.5i engine for awhile. Fix the engine for the 5th gen GT and put it back to USDM trim not worrying about custom fabbing the FMIC for the JDM bumper. Swap all the JDM stuff to the outback and do a rear quarter swap to legacy flareless fenders.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I tried that with my SS that I had. Then my "friend" sold it to someone else for less even though I offered him back for it. That one is long gone now. Up until now that was the best generation I've owned of all the legacys. If the seating position was better in the 4thgen it would be my favorite. The functionality of a wagon has been awesome. Definitely wont purchase another sedan unless it would be for my girlfriend. I'd let her make that decision, wagons to her arent 'pretty'.

I'll give you 2500 for the 4th gen. I'll give you link to the video feed of it sitting. You can stare at it until seller's remorse hits you. I'll sell it back to you.

What would you want with a 2.5i wagon?

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I really want to see my twin back on the road. So scenario 6. Figure out what is wrong with the 5th gen. Correct me if I am wrong, but we still do not know that right? Then decide to sell the 4th or not. Do not buy the 4 runner. Too much money. Either buy an outback for fun or an xj if you want an outdoorsy vehicle. These are all great options, but by God man, diag your poor car.

So either way you have to deal with it. It's sitting there depreciating at probably 300 bucks a month. Man up, fix your car, and quit sulking about your 15 ways to avoid facing your damn destiny...bohy!

Keep the wagon as a daily until you get your car fixed. Start with a diagnosis. If its going to cost too much you can trade it broken, or borrow money to fix it then sell it fixed.

I would do scenario 4. The value of your 2.5i is not going materially change as its pretty much fully depreciated. Spend some time now diagnosing your GT while you save up some money to fix it. Use the money you would have to spent on car payment towards the GT. This also leave you with some options for what your future plan on the GT (keep or sell it) as well.

Scenario 1 sounds like a good idea in an ideal world, until you end spending more $$$ than expected for fixing your Legacy GT & run out of money and/or it takes longer than expected. When you wear out your welcome borrowing someone else car, it forces your hand to spend money on another daily driver.

Scenario 2 & 3 have you spending more money and just delays fixing and dealing with your GT.

Scenario 5 is up to you, but you really should fix your GT to sell it.

I have been doing my own internal debate as well, which I won't get into now. As a result, one thing I have been following is the book values of the 5th Gen LGT, 4th Gen LGT and my 2.5i. Brandon hit the nail on the head. Your car is losing at least $2000/years in depreciation and its going to continue if the past is a good indicator (looking at where the 4th Gen LGT are now.) You at some point should make a decision on what your going to do with your LGT. Are you going to fix it and use it as your daily, keep it as project/toy/2nd car or move onto something else? If you are leaning toward the latter, the value of a LGT is likely to continue on downward spiral for next few years, so pushing it off because you don't want to deal with it, only continues to cost you more potential value.

Personally, I have had 2 car ownership model, a daily driver and 2nd toy car for about 23 years now. My 2nd cars I have kept long term (1-15 years, the other 12 years) and have a 'don't care' approach to resale value. Anyway I don't regret doing that and I don't see myself moving away from model anytime soon. For a short period of time, I had two project cars and I can tell you that modifying them both really drains the wallet, I likely will never do that again. (ie if your thinking about getting a 4th gen LGT wagon project car with your broken 5th Gen sitting.)

Im fearing the worst outcome and another 5g+

It doesn't cost much if any money to diagnose the issue. If you do pull the engine apart, make sure to organize all the bolts that you remove. I learned from other people mistake of not putting them in one bucket or leaving them around. I organized mine by groups (ie intake, transmission, exhaust manifolds, etc) in a small plastic tub which I also labeled. In my case, the 6 month project turned into 2 1/2 years and I was thankful that I spend the time when I went to put everything back together.

Id say scenario 3 but opt instead for an XJ cherokee 4.0, you can find them in great condition for under 2k and that engine will last you forever.

It would be a reliable daily, super easy to fix any problems and with the amount of them still on the road parts are plenty and cheap. It'll allow you to put your money back into the 5th gen faster, especially with the 1k bump from the wagon sale.

Dgoodhue good point. I'd need to refrain from trying to mod both 5thgen won't be going anywhere, it's paid for.

Definitely needs to be cracked open. It's getting warmer again so that's exciting. Might have a engine pulling party then

I would avoid a jeep, only because you already have one maintenance intensive vehicle. And let's be honest running forever is not the same as being reliable...i.e. interior bits falling apart, suspension rotting away, going through expensive tires because well it's a jeep that's what it does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I would avoid a jeep, only because you already have one maintenance intensive vehicle. And let's be honest running forever is not the same as being reliable...i.e. interior bits falling apart, suspension rotting away, going through expensive tires because well it's a jeep that's what it does.

I guess if you dont do your homework you'll end up having a bad day. I've got a 99 thats in great mechanical condition and the furthest thing from a headache. Im restoring it by choice otherwise it would be my daily driver.

Scenario #4. Do it!

Time to put the big girl panties on, you're a grown-up. You've got some good movement in your career, you've indicated that you and your girlfriend have been talking about home ownership, you clearly have a wonderful, beautiful and fun woman in your life and she needs to be your number one priority. You need to show her that you're self-sufficient and have your priorities straight. You still have a lot of years to do modding, you're young, it doesn't have to happen now. Lock down that lady ASAP. You own your project car, and a good solid reliable daily. Accomplish marriage, home ownership and start a family. Be happy where you are right now and let that dictate your future. Prioritize goals, not immediate satisfaction.

Scenario #1 .....would have you relying on family....not a good impression to woo the lady, you'll still need a daily at some point.

Scenario #2 .....costs you more money, delays your future life with the lady.

Scenario #3 .....accomplishes nothing.

Scenario #5 .....just a stupid circular existence.

You know I'm with dgoodhue, pull the engine out and fix what needs fixing. With a good block replacing the internals is cheap, compared to any other scenario. You can easy pull and disassemble an engine in a weekend, then you will have a lot more answers than questions, and a clearer path.

Archived