LegacyGT.com

Any good examples of a 3.0 or 3.6R turbo build?

Have had the idea in the back of my head for a long time and am curious - does anyone know of any good turbo 6-cyl subaru builds? Would love some links to anything that's particularly noteworthy...I've searched around a bit.

I'm aware it would take some work on the internals, but so does an EJ257 beyond a certain power level...

Have had the idea in the back of my head for a long time and am curious - does anyone know of any good turbo 6-cyl subaru builds? Would love some links to anything that's particularly noteworthy...I've searched around a bit.

I'm aware it would take some work on the internals, but so does an EJ257 beyond a certain power level...

Not sure if it's a good example, but here's this crazy guy's build: Turbo 3.0

Not sure if it's a good example, but here's this crazy guy's build: Turbo 3.0

Haha, that guy sure is crazy ;)

Jokes aside, that’s a killer build. I’m curious, is there enough room around the EZ30 for a super short header into a twin-turbo setup the way it’s done on the Porsche 996 Turbo? Even if the headers were a little longer to allow for the turbo to be just in front of or just behind the engine?

Here’s a 996 Turbo post with a few really good shots of the underside for example: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-porsche-911-turbo-62/

It would be very tough to mount the turbos low and not have them be the lowest point of the car. Plus if they're mounted below the oil level you need to put sumps on the turbos and use a scavenge pump to get the oil back to the pan.

The only reasonable place I can see to mount twins would be behind the headlights. Do a short 3-1 header on each bank and run a single 2" tube up to each turbine housing. You'd probably have to do fender or hood exit dowpipes because you wouldn't have much room to get them back under the car.

The complexity involved is why I've never been a fan of twins. A friend of mine put twins on his LS powered 240SX. I tried to talk him into a single, but he didn't want to do it. He had so many fitment and oiling issues that would have been easily resolved with a single.

Huh... That's too bad. I've always been impressed with the faster response/less lag in cars with a shorter pre-turbo exhaust path (Evo, BMW, Porsche, etc) and would love to find a way to get there on a Subaru.

Not too important for big power or drag racing, but I'm more on the AutoX side of things!