LegacyGT.com

Going to Canada, tuned for 93

I'm driving my LGT to Algonquin in Canada from just west of Detroit. The car is Stage 2 e-tuned for 93 (by Tuning Alliance). I did some googling and was finding things about some of the fuels having ethanol in them. Will I be okay? If I can't find 93 should I use the 94 which may be secretly cut with ethanol? Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about the ethanol content - as long as it's not sitting in your fuel system for extended periods of time you will not have a problem. Run the 94 octane, and monitor knock if you can. There are many old posts online that state our 94 octane tunes like American 91 octane, but I don't know if this is still an issue, and it seemed to be mostly out here in BC. It may be okay out East.

When I had my car tuned on Canadian 91, the tuner said it had to be tuned as if it was US 89 or 87.

What type of 93 are you tuned for? Most 93 I've seen in the US has 10% ethanol.

My car is Tuning Alliance pro tuned for 93 with 10% ethanol. I also run 91 with no ethanol with no issues.

The simple solution is to avoid driving like an ass.

Also, don't be concerned with ethanol blended fuels. E10 and below will be compensated for by your O2s.

Basically, stop over thinking the issue, and drive like a normal human being.

That ^

Plan buying your fuel so you have very little left in the tank when you come back into the state's, then fill up at the first US station.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That ^

Plan buying your fuel so you have very little left in the tank when you come back into the state's, then fill up at the first US station.

That's exactly what I do before going to Toronto. Fill up in Niagara Falls and drive very conservatively so I can go round trip without fueling up in Canada. Their gas is like $4.69 a gallon for the cheap stuff, even converted it's $3.75 a gallon :eek:

Thanks guys. I believe it's about 350 miles one way so I'll have to fill up in Canada at some point. I'm not going to be driving hard but I will have two passengers plus some luggage. Fingers crossed...

If you're going up there on a friday, get to highway 400 long before 4pm or you're going to hit a ton of weekenders traffic, once you pass Barrie and Orillia you will be smooth sailing though

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

I'm driving my LGT to Algonquin in Canada from just west of Detroit. The car is Stage 2 e-tuned for 93 (by Tuning Alliance). I did some googling and was finding things about some of the fuels having ethanol in them. Will I be okay? If I can't find 93 should I use the 94 which may be secretly cut with ethanol? Thanks.

I was just in Canada earlier this summer - there a couple notable things here.

First, the 91 octane available at Shell stations in Canada (and the highest octane available from other brands like Esso) is ethanol free.

Second, according to Cobb, Canadian gas octane ratings are deceptive and the fuel does not have the same knock prevention as gas in most US states. It's most similar to the weak gasoline found in Arizona, Nevada, and California, so I actually flashed the Cobb ACN 91 map while I was in Canada as they recommend. Gas labeled as 91 octane behaves more like US 89 octane, and gas labeled as "94" octane in Canada behaves more like US 91 octane.

So, a tune optimized for 93 US octane isn't going to work that well with Canadian premium octane gas. I don't know if it's enough a problem to actually hurt your engine since the ECU will adjust timing on its own, but if you can get a map optimized for 91 octane (especially the 91 octane in Arizona/Nevada/California), you will be safer.

Also, regarding fuel prices, yes, it's expensive. I think premium was like $1.20/liter where I was in Ontario (so, about $4.80/gallon). Definitely fill your tank before crossing the border to minimize the amount of gas you have to buy in Canada.

Torco Accelerator (94-104) 4-15 numbers

Lucas octane booster (92-95) 1-4 numbers

Royal purple max octane (92-94) 1-3 numbers

In the order I would use them. All use MMT, but torco is the best.

Never tested moroso but I heard it also works along with the NOS octane booster (30-60 points)

Archived