LegacyGT.com

How TO: Get rid of Glare w/ Stock Headlights and HID

MiniStiGuy

So many have asked this question to many of us HID guys.

How do I get rid of the glare that I'm getting with my HID kit and or Retro?

Well the answer if you are using a stock shielded setup is to fill in the hole on the shield. Now that hole is intentionally made in the shield to allow light to reflect up for road signs etc.

Problem:

When you install either a HID Kit or do a Retro but still are using the stock legacy shield without filling in the hole that light output through the hole is increased just as the light output to the road is. Now to solve the problem is very easy and should be done in both types of applications.

Here is a stock Legacy Projector.

http://i29.tinypic.com/acv9zd.jpg

Now the shield as you can see in this next shot has the slight hole just below the cutoff of the shield.

http://i28.tinypic.com/2nqxtf7.jpg

Here's another shot of that hole we are talking about. This shot however is from the back of the shield so you can see the inner shield aswell.

http://i30.tinypic.com/2e5myjs.jpg

FIX THE PROBLEM

So to fix this what you'll need is something to fill that hole with that can withstand a good temperature.

I recommend QuickSteel because of its heat index and ease of use.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KJS1C6BFL._AA280_.jpg

So what your going to do is mix or apply your product below the inner shielding to cover the hole.

Just as an example I am using some wool just to show you how you would want it applied.

http://i32.tinypic.com/5vnm9u.jpg

http://i32.tinypic.com/33eo0pl.jpg

So it should be a fully covered hole at this point.

http://i25.tinypic.com/96xix4.jpg

Make sure that it evenly covers and doesn't purtrude out to much if some happens to push through just trim it.

http://i31.tinypic.com/28214yb.jpg

Now my instructions are shown with the projector out but you'll atleast need to take the headlights off to be able to get at the right angles to do this to make it much easier on yourself.

I hope this helps answer some questions and helps to show you a little about what you can do to help eliminate glare in your headlamp setup.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

depends on what year your car is.

I can get the bumper and lights off within 5 minutes but I've done it a lot.

its not difficult and virtually impossible to screw up anything.

I think there was a thread talking about taking the bumper off but you'd have to search for it.

I would make another one about taking the bumper off but its dark here right now.

under the bumper there are pop-it rivets which need to be removed.

total of 6 I believe.

Then in the fender well there is another pop-it rivet that holds the bumper to the fender so you'll have to move the wheel cover and pop it out.

now remove the grill. 2 pop-its and 2 bolts.

pull out on the sides of the bumper to remove them out of there clips and then just pull the bumper straight off.

the headlights have 2 screws and 1 pop-it holding them on the top and 5 bolts holding them on the bracket below them.

remove all of those and unclip the engine harness from the headlamps then just pull them straight back and disconnect the turn signal harness as you pull them out.

it sounds scary but it really isn't.

I dont' really feel like taking it off right now but in all honesty its super easy and nothing to be intimidated by.

thanks. it seems like many people put in the HID kits and never worry about filling this in. do you have a pic of what it would like like before and after if the lights were shining on a garage door or fence? im sorry to be a PITA.

^ when you put a washer in between where the lens bolts to the reflector, i do believe a 5mm washer but please dont quote me on that. You add one at each of the mounting points (3) so the lense is pushed out an equal amount on all sides. This apparently gives more of a blue-ish color at the cutoff line.

More like when you are driving head to head with a BMW and it hits an evelavation change in the road and the lights get very blue for a moment....... same idea.

• 5 months later...

Now my instructions are shown with the projector out but you'll atleast need to take the headlights off to be able to get at the right angles to do this to make it much easier on yourself.

so i don't need to take the headlights apart and take the projector out?

• 1 month later...
Ok, I'm confused. I thought you had to bake the headlights, go through that whole process to get at the lenses. Is it possible to do this without doing that? If I take the lights off the car does that expose enough of the projector/reflector assembly to fill the gap? I've not ever done any of this with the headlights purposely...the more complicated it gets, the more chance I'll totally screw up. But...if I don't have to cook any of my parts to get at other parts, that's at least a step in the right direction....

I've heard of many who simply used an HID retro kids and were happy. Is this something one would do and then say "WHOA, what a difference!" or "Hmm... I think I might see a slight change if I look at it juuuuuuust the right way".

Serious question, as it seems like considerable effort and, potentially worse still, an irrevocable & permanent change.

Isn't it true though that you don't need the washer mod if you have an 07+ car cause they have a different lens? I remember reading that somewhere. My cutoff is really blue on my '08 so I'm just wondering if this is what I should do. I am a few months away from a full retro.

My headlights got water in them and my HID lights rusted one of the bowls or whatever they're called. Not as much light out of my passenger side now due to there being less reflective material inside the housing.

I've heard of many who simply used an HID retro kids and were happy. Is this something one would do and then say "WHOA, what a difference!" or "Hmm... I think I might see a slight change if I look at it juuuuuuust the right way".

Serious question, as it seems like considerable effort and, potentially worse still, an irrevocable & permanent change.

It's worth filling that little hole as it does make a pretty noticable difference. I was debating on doing a full retro since the light just seemed to "spray" out of the oem projectors which produced a lot of glare and looked like "hey look at me, i just put HID bulbs in my non-HID car". (I like my car to look as stock as possible).

once you fill the holes on the shield the cutoff gets nice and sharp (sharper if you do the washer mod but i wasnt opening the lights up a 3rd time to add washers) and give a much better OEM appearance.

seeing my results i decided not to go through with a full retro, while i know it would look better and spread the light more evenly then results just from filling that little hole i didnt think the cost or labor were worth the trouble. if you're a perfectionist then go for the retro if you just like the HID look and dont want to blind everyone else on the road then fill the hole. if you want to be "that guy" then do nothing :)

I filled the hole and it looks great now but like I said the passenger side bowl doesn't reflect enough light due to the discoloration from the hot lights and water in the headlight. So for me a retro is more necessary just to replace the bowl I might as well go all the way so to speak.

Golf - true if thats the problem with yours then i agree a full retro makes sense.

if you wanted to save a few $$$ i'm sure you could find a replacement LGT projector for fairly cheap.

its nice to have options 1) all out retro for a pretty penny OR B) just replace the OEM projector. either way you'll be good.

best of luck which ever you chose.

Archived