LegacyGT.com

Gear oil for 5mt, Motul or Redline

boneskid1

I need to put new gear oil in a new/used transmission I am installing on my outback. I did some searching and looking and it sounds like people recommend the old version of the Subaru extra-S being that I cannot find that and would prefer to run synthetic I started looking elsewhere.

I ran Mobil 1 in my current transmission and it was honestly shit. I want something better. I have seen quite a few people talk nicely of both Motul 300 and Redline Lightweight Shockproof. currently the new transmission is not grinding so I am going to to stay away from the cocktail of Motul and Redline.

Anyone with any experience care to chime in? if I get one or the other can I also run it in the rear diff just to save on having to buy more fluid?

I’ve used both in my 5MT & R160 and like them both. Smooth shift and quiet (relatively on account of modifications). I don’t have as much cold weather time on the Motul because I don’t daily drive it anymore, but they are both great gear oil that you can use in your rear diff (manual transmissions). Just make sure you get the “NS” 75w-90 if you go with the Redline.

I've never tried motul, but I've tried various other 75w-90's. Amsoil severe gear, supertech syn blend, Subaru extra-s, and red line NS. Red line 75w-90NS is definitely my favorite. I justify the extra cost by running it longer than I would a conventional or syn blend gear oil.

I've never tried motul, but I've tried various other 75w-90's. Amsoil severe gear, supertech syn blend, Subaru extra-s, and red line NS. Red line 75w-90NS is definitely my favorite. I justify the extra cost by running it longer than I would a conventional or syn blend gear oil.

you ran all of those in a 5mt? I might end up getting the 75w-90ns instead of the shockproof then.

Since my 5 gallon can of Extra-S is gone, I have only used Motul Gear 300 when I do changes at 30,000 miles.

I find the Motul Gear shifts fine when its cold or hot outside.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Redline 75W90NS in both my Subaru powered race cars. 5 speed 818R, 6 speed STI. Do not use the Redline Shockproof.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Redline 75W90NS in both my Subaru powered race cars. 5 speed 818R, 6 speed STI. Do not use the Redline Shockproof.

Awesome to hear! I ordered 5 quarts of the 75w90ns for my transmission and diff. So we should be all set. Thanks for the input!

• 2 months later...

Do you mean that you don't use the shock proof, or is that a recommendation that others should not use it?

I used a combo of 2 qts lightweight shockproof and the rest NS75-90 in my '06 WRX and that transmission was still quiet and shifting smooth when I sold it at 168k. Still on the original factory clutch, too.

Seemed to work pretty good for me, but I realize that my personal experience may be an outlier.

Do you mean that you don't use the shock proof, or is that a recommendation that others should not use it?

I used a combo of 2 qts lightweight shockproof and the rest NS75-90 in my '06 WRX and that transmission was still quiet and shifting smooth when I sold it at 168k. Still on the original factory clutch, too.

Seemed to work pretty good for me, but I realize that my personal experience may be an outlier.

race engine vs street car, too.

all recommendations should come with a ymmv warning. There's always an outlier in any data set. Unless you drive just like the outlier, is usually best to discount until more data emerges.

redline 75-90ns - https://www.redlineoil.com/75w90-ns-gl-5-gear-oil . popular with subaru

redline lightweight shockproof- popular with racing transmission under moderate load

there was a big discussion years ago about shockproof causing issues with shifting in certain conditions.

race engine vs street car, too.

all recommendations should come with a ymmv warning. There's always an outlier in any data set. Unless you drive just like the outlier, is usually best to discount until more data emerges.

redline 75-90ns - https://www.redlineoil.com/75w90-ns-gl-5-gear-oil . popular with subaru

redline lightweight shockproof- popular with racing transmission under moderate load

there was a big discussion years ago about shockproof causing issues with shifting in certain conditions.

I'm just trying to figure out what Sgt.Gator knows that I don't, 'cause he obviously has experience that I'm lacking.

Was a member of the WRX forums when I owned that car and the "cocktail" of LWSP and 75-90 was discussed there as a way to get some of the benefits of the LWSP while avoiding the balky shifting when cold. Seemed to work. I took that car to the mountains a lot in the winter, so it saw cold weather. It wasn't a race car, but I didn't drive it like a grandma either. I bought a WRX 'cause I wanted to have some fun... LOL.

172k that's it? damn that's fresh... I just got my 06 running and that has 169k on it. Shifts like butter with Mobil 1 Delvac in it. My 07 was running great with the standard subaru synthetic oil (Extra-S replacement) and that hit 268k. :hobbes:

172k that's it? damn that's fresh... I just got my 06 running and that has 169k on it. Shifts like butter with Mobil 1 Delvac in it. My 07 was running great with the standard subaru synthetic oil (Extra-S replacement) and that hit 268k. :hobbes:

Yeah I will say I much prefer the extra-s that was in there before this motul 300.

Yeah I will say I much prefer the extra-s that was in there before this motul 300.

I ran Extra-S when I first got my 07 back at 100k, but I had done a fluid change since using the OG Extra-S from FredBeans, and that's why I stated I was then running the Subaru Extra-S replacement fluid in there. The stuff you can buy by the quart now and I never had any issues with it shifting. That new version also helped my wife's 04 Forester with 1st gear engagement, but her trans still needs to be torn apart to see why it's so difficult to engage when rolling. Her car you need to straight up come to a stop at a light or sign, release clutch in neutral, press clutch and immediately engage in 1st, otherwise it's very difficult.

I ran Extra-S when I first got my 07 back at 100k, but I had done a fluid change since using the OG Extra-S from FredBeans, and that's why I stated I was then running the Subaru Extra-S replacement fluid in there. The stuff you can buy by the quart now and I never had any issues with it shifting. That new version also helped my wife's 04 Forester with 1st gear engagement, but her trans still needs to be torn apart to see why it's so difficult to engage when rolling. Her car you need to straight up come to a stop at a light or sign, release clutch in neutral, press clutch and immediately engage in 1st, otherwise it's very difficult.

What do you suspect the reason to be for the difficulty in engaging first gear?

Why do you suspect it to be what you think it is?

MILKRUN  - Click Here

What do you suspect the reason to be for the difficulty in engaging first gear?

Why do you suspect it to be what you think it is?

Honestly not sure, may be a bad syncro or something that just just worn to the point where it binds all the time now and doesn't do it's job to smoothly engage... needs that spinning motion to get the cogs to line up. The car has 260k+ on it and it's the original trans... I've never had it apart.

• 1 month later...
I’m running motul gear 300 and it’s not great when it’s cold (45 and below). I’ve also noticed more noise from the trans. Keep in mind my trans has 172k on it which could be the major contributing factor so YMMV

I was also unhappy with the cold weather (below 50F) performance of Motul in the transmission of my 370z. I switched back to Redline MT90. I really liked the Amsoil when I ran it in my Mazdaspeed6 years ago but it's hard/expensive for me to get.

I'm just trying to figure out what Sgt.Gator knows that I don't, 'cause he obviously has experience that I'm lacking.

Was a member of the WRX forums when I owned that car and the "cocktail" of LWSP and 75-90 was discussed there as a way to get some of the benefits of the LWSP while avoiding the balky shifting when cold. Seemed to work. I took that car to the mountains a lot in the winter, so it saw cold weather. It wasn't a race car, but I didn't drive it like a grandma either. I bought a WRX 'cause I wanted to have some fun... LOL.

his cars have trans coolers and temp monitoring. They don't get run very much but when they do it's really brutal. Extreme service. The race wagon has an external cooler on the transmission as well as rear differential

I was also unhappy with the cold weather (below 50F) performance of Motul in the transmission of my 370z. I switched back to Redline MT90. I really liked the Amsoil when I ran it in my Mazdaspeed6 years ago but it's hard/expensive for me to get.

As an Amsoil Preferred member, I pay $14.79 for Severgear. I used to use it, I may go back to it in the future.

I use their oil and filters in all my cars.

I know I didn't add in the shipping and tax to that price.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here