LegacyGT.com

gear indicator/cruise control/throttle issue

Could anyone give some other suggestions as to what my problem would be. I’m experiencing the exact same issues as this guy with his wrx. I have a 2012 GT limited. I haven’t found any other threads addressing this problem. I also have replaced the same clutch switch thinking it would resolve my problem but it did not.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2845069

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there are two clutch switches - there's the clutch switch (2 pole connector) and the clutch stroke switch (5 pole connector) - the latter is used in the starting circuit, etc. - both switches connect to the ECM, so maybe it needs both?

One of the pins on the connector should have some voltage going to it that the switch either sends back to the ecu or pulls to ground. Make sure you have that, then give everything a shake to make sure you don't have any loose connections.

Edit:

In the picture, it looks like the power to the switch also goes to pin 8 on the OBD2 connector. That could be an easy place to check the voltage. Could be that fuse is blown.

The Stroke switch goes directly from the starter relay to the ECU, so if your car still starts, that likely isn't the culprit.

ClutchSwitch.thumb.JPG.fcedaeae85a9dc5d8dd5a7f4e62e7c61.JPG

Edited by coco26

If you have all of the symptoms (not just the gear indicator) the clutch stroke switch is a 5 pole connector - one pin goes to the starter relay, two go to the VDC control module. So I wouldn't rule out that it's part of the equation. The 15 WRX is a little different - it has two clutch switches (a clutch switch and a clutch start switch - both are two pin connectors - one does the starter relay function that the clutch stroke switch has the LGT and the other goes to the ECM like the two pin one in the LGT - neither go to the VDC module directly in the 15 WRX.

566d7f6fb5b343dcb356d3e8c171862f.jpg I do not have the best knowledge into wiring as I’m just learning and like trying things on my own. Here is the last picture I took of the two switches and what’s going on down there.

Which switch did you replace? If we’re talking about the upper one (behind the black wire there). Its job is to tell the car that the clutch pedal has been released all the way, as in your foot is off of it and it’s totally out. The cruise will disengage if you press the clutch down enough for that switch to change state since the car can only control speed by manipulating the throttle and only when you haven’t disconnected the engine from the wheels.

There is almost definitely another switch on the back that for most cars only functions as a starter inhibitor switch. Clutch isn’t on the floor, the switch won’t close, so the starter won’t turn.

I’ve never had to replace one of these on a Subaru, but I have done it on a couple Audis. When either switch would go, cruise would not work and revs would hang between shifts. It’d store a code for “clutch switch signal implausible” or something like that since both switches can’t be pressed at once. If the lower one went, the car wouldn’t start, though you sometimes could get around it by stomping on the clutch a few times to get the balky switch to cooperate.

Whichever switch you didn’t replace you ought to take out and test with a multimeter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...