LegacyGT.com

[GB] PW Splitter in Aluminum

boxkita

If you have a PW intercooler, you may or may not have gotten the splitter for it. At the time these were sold, it was an extra cost option. Now, you can't get the splitter or the whole kit from PW or Rallysportdirect (their USA distributor).

I have 2, both of which are peeling paint and rusty...and heavy. I want aluminum because lightweight and won't rust.

I have contacted a local waterjet firm and they are willing to duplicate my rusty one in 16ga 6061 aluminum. Waterjet company finished the cutting & folding. I finished the rest of the work. All aluminum construction down to the rivets.

A total of 6 were made. None of them are beautiful as the aluminum was a discard from a previous project, and the surface suffered a bit during cutting and folding. As these were intended for the race car, I was more interested in cutting costs. However, 5 of them are straight and square.

The "boxkita" logo is laser-etched and could be removed easily. If you are so inclined, the aluminum can be polished, anodized, painted, wrapped, etc.

Pictures of the last 5 ever made and the underside of 3 of them. The first one is shown installed installed on Pik1111's wagon. This install has already been track tested and performed well.

Cost: $325 (includes all aluminum splitter, gasket, install help if you are local or phone support if remote, Shipping to CON US address, paypal fee, tracking).

Caveats:

1. I have both a PW intercooler and splitter. The template for this splitter is based on my system. If you have a 2005 LGT with a PW intercooler, this should work. Verified fitment on Pik1111's wagon.

2. if you have any other large size TMIC, this might work. No guarantees.

3. If you have a FMIC, this won't work.

4. Pricing is for a run of 5.

5. PW is not involved in this GB in any manner.

6. There is no warranty, because caveat #1

Interested:

1. VespaGTS

Sold to:

1. Pik1111 - (picked up)

2. Keyan - (shipped)

3. joeinoregon - (delivered)

4. MrSparkle

boxkitasplitter.thumb.jpg.00ca31b23a7b877064ec0ac651446fc1.jpg

All5.thumb.jpg.1fc27398576d8a3bfd90800221695ea4.jpg

Underside.thumb.jpg.12455358cb47f1aecfe9e1779801cb71.jpg

Edited by boxkita

Shop has cut the prototype and will be completing the bending next week. This job is least priority to get best price.

The laser engraving has been delayed due to the lubrication system catching fire. I'm a bit concerned that every project Boxkita's wagon is associated with "catches fire". I'm really looking forward to the day that refers to the marketing and funding programs. :-)

Woot!

Thanks for getting this done Boxkita! My constant nagging has paid off [emoji3]Soon I will not have to worry about my PW ITMIC not getting enough air through it! I still have the stock splitter on and had to bend it up a bit and add some stick on weather stripping to get it to seal. But that seal only covers maybe 60% of the IC. With summer track days coming more cooling is more better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shop has cut all the pieces. The prototype is mocked up, and they are working on the manufacturing steps. Estimated to be done with folding this week.

The laser etching will probably take another week, maybe less. I don't remember if the etching was a 1-off or all of them.

The picture shows the prototype laid up next to the original.

MockupVRusted.thumb.jpg.488fba7dbcdb5698312769ae5a254980.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm somewhat interested, I just picked up a no-name PW knock off. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3bVE25ctMvsqxLmR9 (I assume it's a knock off; its used and the black coating has been sanded off)

However I have an Outback. The engine, and therefore the intercooler, sits lower.

Could this be adjusted for an Outback?

Is there any way to remove the laser etching?

Edited by Keyan

I'm somewhat interested, I just picked up a no-name PW knock off. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3bVE25ctMvsqxLmR9 (I assume it's a knock off; its used and the black coating has been sanded off)

However I have an Outback. The engine, and therefore the intercooler, sits lower.

Could this be adjusted for an Outback?

Is there any way to remove the laser etching?

Laser etching should sand off.

There is a gasket sealer that makes the connection between the the splitter and the i/c. You can adjust it a bit to make it fit better, however, no guarantees. If you have measurements, I can check for you.

I don't have measurements, but i can tell you that when the intercooler is bolted down correctly the bottom edge of it it touches the clutch master cylinder cap. Edited by Keyan

So with that information, you should be able to measure the distance between the intercooler and your clutch master cap, and that'll tell us how much lower the intercooler sits on my car compared to yours.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My digital life went down the drain. Still digging out of the mess.

Found a local source for the gasket material which was last missing piece. Still looking for a local to test the obxt fitment.

On Tuesday I'll find out if I have access to a custom fabrication shop. If so, I'd be willing to make more. If not, this is a "one run and done" deal.

• 4 months later...