LegacyGT.com

Full Repaint Color Question?

Hey guys,

So my partial repaint has turned into a full repaint. The clear coat was failing and it’s easier to just prep and shoot the whole thing. The wagon is Bright Silver Metallic now. It’s going to stay silver due to cost and time to paint all jams etc..

Should I stay with the stock silver or bump it up with a slightly different shade or metallic silver? Have you seen any silver that tops what we already have? I was thinking of going a little darker by a shade or two to give some depth.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Bump it up and make it yours! Try to see the color in person, on a car, before deciding if it's a possibility. When I changed my wagon from satin white pearl to Toyota's wind chill pearl, seeing the paint on a dealership lot car was the deciding factor. Paint samples are not good and showing subtle color differences.

1. BMW's Silverstone Metallic

2. Audi's Prism Silver

3. Honda's Chicane Silver

What’s a full repaint cost around these parts? I’m tempted to to the same thing as my Outback is getting pretty tired paint wise. Just figured to have it done decently was going to be an arm and a leg cost wise.

What’s a full repaint cost around these parts? I’m tempted to to the same thing as my Outback is getting pretty tired paint wise. Just figured to have it done decently was going to be an arm and a leg cost wise.

Lots of variables to factor in. Cost of the paint, skill level of the shop, and the amount of prep necessary is a larger determinant for cost. Expect to pay $1000-$1500 for a decent job.

oh wow really? for some reason I expected it to be quite a bit more than that. If a decent full body repaint in my original OBP color, (not glass out, mega restore tear down), could be had for less than $2k, I might try to swing that in the future.

So I'm not in "these parts" but I used to spend time around body shops. The good big name shops (not custom or boutique) would say 4-5k for a full repaint. But that's full r&i of all small parts. Bumpers off, handles, trim, badges. Nothing taped off.

Most painters I've talked to will say that taping off and hard-lining the clear will cause it to peel eventually (can't confirm but that's what they'll tell you). And I've seen many cars that have had stuff taped off that you can see and feel the fuzz and orange peel in the clear. The worst is when it's under the door handles and it feels like sandpaper when you open your car door.

Just food for thought. Here in slc, I'd want a good understanding of what they are doing for under $3k. Are they sanding and smoothing your hood and bumper chips cuz those will look gross painted over. But at the same time how's your eye detail? Do you stance your car? Do you even wax it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, my case is a little different. I have a friend who restores cars and is taking pity on me. So in materials alone we are looking at $750 or more. I had quotes of $3500 and that was not a full repaint, a full was closer to $5k. There was no way that was happening!

The clear coat was failing on the hood, front bumper cover, fenders, A-pillars, and part of the roof. That was the $3500 quote from a local pro shop.

I am going to stick with stock color for resale later, a color change done right is door jams etc and I don't want or need that.

Its going to be so fresh and clean anyway that I will be happy with the end result.

Also for the record I checked on vinyl wrapping the car and it cost more than painting it. Clearly I am in the wrong business.

Thanks for the all in info guys, yup thats what I figured, something closer to $4- $5k for a proper job. Guess thats why I haven't made the leap yet thats a lot of money. Its hard because the interior of the car as well as mechanically, is in super great shape. The original owner did park this car outside full time as he didn't have enough garage space so thats the problem. From 10 feet the car doesn't look bad but any closer and you really see the issues and there are many. Clear coat is pretty hammered in some spots, (and etched some too), front clip completely hammered with rock pits, etc etc. I have thought about having a detail and paint correction shop look at is as well. I know they can't get everything out, but if I could even get it 50% back to normal, I'd be willing to cut a decent sized check to make that happen. Hmmm...

Shralp

Kinda getting into thread jack here. I'm thinking about getting some repainting done on mine. So I've been thinking about this.

There's a bunch of rock chips on the hood and some dings on the doors. Minor damage to front bumper. What I'd say to the above is have you bothered with clay bar and wax? That would probably make a massive difference. Then either feather and fill yourself, or pay a shop to repair and paint the hood. Without looking at your car my instant reaction is to NOT let them blend the fenders and don't do the hood scoop unless it has chips. DO pay them time to color tint though. Don't blend fenders. Fenders never match even off the lot.

If you clay bar and wax everything (if it's really bad this could take hours) or pay for a paint restoration (light sanding clay bar wax) and paint the hood and maybe redo the front bumper. It'll look like a new car. I'd only really do a full repaint if the clear was actually damaged. My civic has been outside in Florida and then utah since at least 2005. Last time I clay bar it looked like new.

I'll say I'm impressed with the BSM paint on my 09 Spec B. The car has a great shine to it, and I haven't waxed it in a long time. It looks great from an angle.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

FYI - Paint and supplies were a bit above $1000 for the project. I will post pictures when done. So far we have 24 man hours into the sanding alone. I did most of it to make it easier on my friend who is the Pro. I was warned on the font end that he is a perfectionist and i was in for a ride, but I enjoy the eye for detail too so who cares how long it takes. In the end it will be amazing.

One thing is for sure, I am impressed with the guys that do this stuff every week. Damn, it is not easy work!

It certainly is not easy. It's better to have a perfectionist though. The painters at the shop I was at didn't like me too much. I apparently have an over sensitive eye for color match and blends. I made them repaint a LOT of stuff. But I never had a customer upset.