LegacyGT.com

Fuel Filler Door

So there was a few times I or someone else has noticed the fuel filler lid was open on my ‘21 Legacy. At first I thought I must’ve left it open. Then, sometime later, I noticed it was open again. I thought maybe someone was playing a prank or worse. (I live in NYC so…) I checked to see if there was any marks that would show tampering but there wasn’t any. I’ve forgotten about it until today when lo and behold, the lid was open again. After some troubleshooting with the key fob and the lock buttons I realized that when the car is locked all anyone would have to do is walk up to it and push in the lid. Now the lid won’t open when locked but as soon as you unlock it with either the fob or keyless entry the lid would pop open automatically. Is this an annoying glitch? Is there a way to disable this? This is the first car I’ve owned that doesn’t have a dedicated button or lever to release the fuel filler lid.

Fuel theft must be rampant in your area if people push on your door that often.

Never noticed it on mine I'll have to give it a try if it actually opens as soon as you unlock the car or if yours is in fact a glitch.

Edit: Just tried it and mine popped open too, not sure how you would defeat this "feature" short of pulling the fuse that controls the filler door lock.

Edited by caddygti16v

Interesting find Magnetite TXT.

I just tried it on my Legacy and my car's fuel door popped open when I pressed on it once while the car was locked and then unlocking the doors.

When I press on the fuel door while the car is locked, I see the fuel door open slightly, but is kept closed by the door lock. While the car is still locked and I press the fuel door again, the fuel door stays closed when I unlock the door. It seems the door lock does not disable the spring mechanism that releases the door, the lock just prevents the door from opening. Once you press the door, but spring is armed and ready to open the door.

Not sure if there is a fix for this other than redesigning the spring mechanism.