LegacyGT.com

Front sway bar is loose, trouble finding upgrade options

Getting a clunking sound going over bumps, took tires off to inspect and to my surprise, i can pull my sway bar about an inch both directions from the drivers side, no movement from the passenger side??! I have the gold plus unlimited 10yr 100k warranty, I'm expecting any bushings to be covered. I had upgraded the Rear sway bar and thought what about doing the front sway bar. I'm not finding any options for the sixth generation front sway bar or endlinks? I'm also thinking about my issues with lane wandering and the dead spot when on center for handling... If my sway bar is able to slide an inch off center in both directions.... Mis-diagnosed as me being crazy?> Also my endlinks when unloaded are completely movable extending the rubber boots??! I want a sway bar and endlinks with no movement at all... Various options are available for the STI, but nothing else?

I can't address the question about availability of aftermarket FSB options, but I will say that my understanding was that a sway bar doesn't impact you at all while driving straight and wouldn't likely have any affect of the car wandering.

I will say, that though my bar is tight, the drivers side was always problematic when changing my struts. Both when I went to lowering springs and then to coilovers I had to use a Jack on the endlink to push it up for enough to put it back into the strut mount. I did not have to do that on the passenger. It's not exactly what you are experiencing but just another weird fact about the OEM bar.

If you can't find aftermarket I'd replace the bushings and endlinks with OEM and see if it fixes it.

Beamercub, have you considered traildogck’s CKE Performance Products bushings? See info here on subaruoutback.org forum.

I haven’t used them but scattered through the gen5 Outback sub-forum (same generation as the gen6 Legacy) there appears to be a lot of happy customers (also on the gen6 Outback sub-forum which is the same generation as the gen7 Legacy).

Beamercub, have you considered traildogck’s CKE Performance Products bushings? See info here on subaruoutback.org forum.

I haven’t used them but scattered through the gen5 Outback sub-forum (same generation as the gen6 Legacy) there appears to be a lot of happy customers (also on the gen6 Outback sub-forum which is the same generation as the gen7 Legacy).

Not many options for Front Sway Bar and Endlink Options since the Geometry changed in the Gen 6 Models.. The Rear is the same from 2010-2017.. I haven't researched 2018- Newer..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Not many options for Front Sway Bar and Endlink Options since the Geometry changed in the Gen 6 Models..

I agree. I was thinking that the various less compliant bushings that traildogck makes could be another option before trying to source a stiffer front swaybar & end links, especially seeing that Beamercub’s driver’s side bushing may need replacing anyway.

I can remember one of traildogck’s posts indicated that fitting his rear swaybar bushings had a similar result to fitting a slightly stiffer swaybar.

Should be the same all the way through 2019 in the rear.

Yes, the same design with minor changes from 2018. See below '2018 Legacy rear suspension changes' attachment.

2018-Legacy-rear-suspension-changes.jpg.56750ad603db367f6e0a8d60a45c49ae.jpg

2018 Legacy rear suspension changes.

The springs &/or struts could be different as well. See the below 'USDM Outback suspension parts difference' table I did some time ago for the Outback. What those changes meant I don’t know, but for the Aussie spec Outback, the 2018/2019 was an improvement in steering, ride & handling. My guess is the springs &/or struts would have changed as well for the Legacy from 2018.

Outback-suspension-differences.thumb.jpg.760f3e6077bfebc6041e43fd6d2bbd7a.jpg

USDM Gen5 Outback suspension parts difference.

... and certainly not to sway bar component dimensions or sway bar bushings.

Exactly. Going by our previous 2016 Liberty (Legacy) 3.6R & current 2019 Outback 3.6R the rear sway bar & sway bar components were identical (except obviously for the end link lengths). Correction: The end links are identical.

Edited by XT-sub
Correct end link information.

• 2 months later...
Alot of comments about the rear sway bar setup... I'm starting to think the gen 6 front end is just strange. Hardly anything is available for it.. The H6 is literally the same from the gen 5 , well with the deleted powersteering pump and pully, reservoir, etc... Heck the bracket for the PS pump is still on the engine... I really wish the front end could be tightened up.. Some, not all of them have stability issues with the DEAD on center while at highway speeds... My most recent work done has been.... : Drivers side ball joint and now sway bar end links and bushings... anyone have luck with a strut tower brace?

Alot of comments about the rear sway bar setup... I'm starting to think the gen 6 front end is just strange. Hardly anything is available for it.. The H6 is literally the same from the gen 5 , well with the deleted powersteering pump and pully, reservoir, etc... Heck the bracket for the PS pump is still on the engine... I really wish the front end could be tightened up.. Some, not all of them have stability issues with the DEAD on center while at highway speeds... My most recent work done has been.... : Drivers side ball joint and now sway bar end links and bushings... anyone have luck with a strut tower brace?
Sti makes one and a cheap Ebay version is out there..20210807_165951.thumb.jpg.5d696cd857cf62231c8155268f6fc5e0.jpg

20210807_170239.thumb.jpg.fa61227ae6489ee7fb976365cf593538.jpg

Yeah, I have the SSD strut bar on both my 3.6Rs (we have an 18 that is almost stock and a 19 that is not at all stock). Very good upgrade, highly recommend it. Steering is sharper and more predictable. I do recommend upgrading the RSB at the same time due to balance concerns tho. It's a small thing but if you're at all into handling I find it important.

Yeah, I have the SSD strut bar on both my 3.6Rs (we have an 18 that is almost stock and a 19 that is not at all stock). Very good upgrade, highly recommend it. Steering is sharper and more predictable. I do recommend upgrading the RSB at the same time due to balance concerns tho. It's a small thing but if you're at all into handling I find it important.

\

I replaced the RSB in 2017. It made a huge difference.. I also did the perrin steering damper in 2018. I ended up taking the damper off because the ride was too hard and twitchy... I am very happy with the new end links and bushings front and rear.. Feel nice and tight. =)

Sti makes one and a cheap Ebay version is out there..[ATTACH]293564[/ATTACH][ATTACH]293565[/ATTACH]

The strut mounts i'm finding all have ends that are bolted on... I had hoped to find a solid one like OEM on most manufacturers... Doesn't seem to exist. With the 3 piece bolted ones they can still flex as the bolted ends are the weak point...

The strut mounts i'm finding all have ends that are bolted on... I had hoped to find a solid one like OEM on most manufacturers... Doesn't seem to exist. With the 3 piece bolted ones they can still flex as the bolted ends are the weak point...
Well Sti has done plenty of R&D on there products or they wouldn't sell it.. I think the SSD Version had solid end pieces..

• 4 weeks later...
\

I replaced the RSB in 2017. It made a huge difference.. I also did the perrin steering damper in 2018. I ended up taking the damper off because the ride was too hard and twitchy... I am very happy with the new end links and bushings front and rear.. Feel nice and tight. =)

Which front bushings did you end up going with? I'm starting to get a clunk in the front now too.....

• 2 weeks later...
Which front bushings did you end up going with? I'm starting to get a clunk in the front now too.....

Subaru did the work under warranty.. I assume they used OEM bushings. As for the clunk sound you are getting, are you sure it isn't a ball joint issue?

I am worried that it is, yes. I've been lowered since very early in the cars life and live in pothole NY. So I parked it until I can get into the shop (next Monday), and bought the roll center kit for it just in case they confirm my suspicions.

Did you do SPL or Whiteline on that kit?

I few years back I special ordered a set of SPL end links for my Infiniti. Even with the Hotchkis sways they performed without issue. I have also had really good luck with Whiteline parts for my fourth gen even though I had to go With a Cusco rear sway and a Whiteline one in the front because the front Cusco was knocking on the subframe due to the diameter of the bar(handled great however)

I would also agree it’s probably just a control arm which is a common enough issue. I would recommend however doing both control arms at the same time as well as an alignment.

At the dealership now, they can't replicate the noise *eye roll*

I bought whiteline, and will probably have it installed in the spring or if the noise gets worse anyway.

Update: upon further review they heard the noise, said everything in there was tight and blamed my BC coilovers. I'm not convinced. I need to get the front end up in the air and have someone turn the wheel....but the camber bolts are tight too....anyone else running BC COs for a while? Any popping or clunking?

Edited by DougKelly20

At the dealership now, they can't replicate the noise *eye roll*

I bought whiteline, and will probably have it installed in the spring or if the noise gets worse anyway.

Update: upon further review they heard the noise, said everything in there was tight and blamed my BC coilovers. I'm not convinced. I need to get the front end up in the air and have someone turn the wheel....but the camber bolts are tight too....anyone else running BC COs for a while? Any popping or clunking?

I was chasing similar noise for a while now. Does it make similar noise when you move the steering wheel rapidly when car is stationary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Only a single popping noise and only at high steering angle while moving slowly. More prominent in reverse. After some more research I'm wondering if the spring is binding.

Honestly sounds like a control arm. Dealerships are notoriously for not being able to duplicate anything. Subaru Mechanics are generally good as well. Have you taken it to an Independent Subaru shop? Only other thing I can think of is the steering rack but that would not make a clunk just a really bad whining sound. My bet is still on a control arm bushing.

Dumb question. When you look at the LCA bushings do you see cracking or tearing in the rubber? the same thing on the end links and damage to the rubber such as cracking etc....

What I love about Subaru dealers sometimes is they don’t nitpick on smaller issues until they become bigger.