LegacyGT.com

Front suspension clunk/pop

For the life of me, I could not figure out how or what caused this clunk pop noise. I have searched, read and changed out almost everything I could think of and still can't figure it out. It has been a while (half year roughly?) I dont recall exactly. Basically, it's a loud single pop/ clunk sound coming from the driver left front side. I could feel it through my body when it happens. It happens when I go slow turning right and occasionally left. Also It also make that sound when I have parked the car overnight or long period of time. Reverse with the steering turn would cause this too. I cannot replicate it at will though.. Here's a list of what I have changed one by one throughout 3 to 4 months period. I would change/fix one thing and then drive it for a while to see if the sound comes back.

1st, the car was already sitting on koni/h&r springs, took that out and re-install it thinking I didn't place the top hat correctly. Nope didn't solve it.

2nd, changed the OEM top hats on both sides, realignment. Nope didn't cure it. checked the LCA bushings and they all looked good.

3rd, changed sway bar endlinks and checked sway bar bushings. Retorqued everything including subframe bolts to specs.

4th, changed both tie rod ends, realignment, nope.

5th, changed both inner tie rods, realignment, nope.

6th, changed the caliper pins like recommended on one of the thread here, nope. (Didn't think it would be the cause but I changed it just in case..).. nope..

7th, (which was last night........) changed both lower balljoints. At 55k miles, I thought it would be the cause. But nope. This morning went shopping, still hear that s****d sound.

Im thinking it might be the axle? Cause I think I changed everything I could think of... BTW changing all these parts DIDN'T the tone or characteristics of the pop/clunk sound.

Hopefully someone can help chime in before I waste more money changing out good parts.

PS: I have been researching and someone stated it could be the h&r springs binding up? Thinking maybe I should pick up those RCE blacks to swap these out? THANKS and happy thanksgiving

Edited by dohclgt

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot, I checked my motor mounts and trans mounts too since someone mentioned it could be the bad mount causing the motor and trans to move around but mine are still very good. I re-torqued all bolts to be sure too...

Interesting. Ever since I lowered my car on the H&R's and installed the Koni's I have had that pop on the left side too. At first it only happened once every week or two when I was turning in or pulling out of my driveway. Now it happens at least once daily, usually multiple times, and it seems louder. Only slow speed stuff like pulling into parking spaces and low speed parking lot maneuvers when turning the wheel significantly. I too have looked all around and cannot find anything weird, loose or visibly worn.

PS: I have been researching and someone stated it could be the h&r springs binding up? Thinking maybe I should pick up those RCE blacks to swap these out?

Just want to chime in that if you're considering swapping out the springs, the Eibach's are still at $92.75, easily the cheapest spring option for us right now. You just have to call Eibach directly to get the price. Part number 7722.140

http://eibach.com/america/en/performance-suspension/closeout

I also get that on the koni/stock springs as well. Only happens on super slow turns or when I am fully stopped. I had AZP check to see if anything was binding and they couldn't find anything either. Regardless they sprayed the car down. i just figured it was something I would live with so I haven't checked if it went away. I will confirm this afternoon

I thought something was wrong with the car as well, I have had 2 shops check and neither has found anything to cause this.

Could this be a product of the koni's on our inserts? Or possibly the tophat isn't quite meant to fit? (I know the rears need to be drilled out a bit)

Edited by Golferdude1087

Could this be a product of the koni's on our inserts?

I personally don't believe so. I can verify this hopefully in the coming month or two as I have a set of AST coilovers I will be installing. If the sound goes away after my install, then it can be attributed to the Koni's. If not, well then we are still looking for the source.

I believe it is the lower rear LCA bushing, the hockey puck. The sound for me seems to be coming from down by my feet, and I can feel it there. If the sound still persists after my coilover install, then my next course of action was going to be installing front AVO rear LCA bushings.

Edited by GTEASER

I personally don't believe so. I can verify this hopefully in the coming month or two as I have a set of AST coilovers I will be installing. If the sound goes away after my install, then it can be attributed to the Koni's. If not, well then we are still looking for the source.

I believe it is the lower rear LCA bushing, the hockey puck. If the sound still persists after my coilover install, then my next course of action was going to be installing front AVO rear LCA bushings.

This sounds like the dreaded rabbit hole!

This sounds like the dreaded rabbit hole!

There is no rabbit hole (fitting as I just watched Alice in Wonderland [2010] last weekend)....only a mod path. Just sometimes we're forced to run a little faster down said path than our lazy asses intend for us to.

Sounds like the same noise I had when I put mine in. For me, it came down to the tophat not on correctly plus the torque on the nut at the top of strut. The misalignment was causing a bind when turning. I didn't relize when I put them in like I have countless others, that the H&R springs, to sit right, don't sit in the same indentation up top as the oem did. Was almost 180 degrees off. Plus I think I ended up have to use the oem nut on the top of the strut do to the one that came with the koni's binding on the bearing in the top hat?

koni's response:

" Thank you for contacting us here at KONI NA. This is not an issue that we regularly hear of as we do not list and applications specifically for the Legacy as you know. Many Legacy owners have opted to install the WRX KONI strut inserts and oftentimes us a set of donor WRX struts as well. It is extremely rare that the working function of a damper causes a knocking or popping noise, this is almost always a direct result of a mounting location, or if the noise is more persistent only when the wheel is turning, being a spring isolation issue. The cut-a-strut insert can develop a knocking noise related to mounting in just a few simple ways. First bad/worn upper strut mounts. Though you’ve checked that off the list. Second the lower mounting bolt is not fully secured, or third the OE strut body has been cut to far from the top, so that 3 small centering tabs located near the top of the insert body are not pulled into housing. The later of the two will allow for the insert to move inside the strut body, though if this were the case the noise would likely occur much more often, including straight line undulations, and not only when the wheel is being turned."

Sounds like the springs...

Also sounds like they're plenty aware of the fitment for our cars, which still lends the question as to their decision to discontinue/not make a Legacy specific application. But that's another discussion for another thread entirely.

Also sounds like they're plenty aware of the fitment for our cars, which still lends the question as to their decision to discontinue/not make a Legacy specific application. But that's another discussion for another thread entirely.

That quote states that Legacy owners are using donors from a WRX, which doesn't actually work for us unless you really like a low front end.

You're running coilovers with stock tophats, correct?

Yep, it just started happening this summer, didn't happen at all last year. I'm back on stock struts and springs for winter, we will see if it does it again.

Mine did it on the stock suspension and continues to do it on the Koni. Mostly when reversing out of my driveway with the wheel turned right. Definitely coming from the front left, as Gteaser said almost from the area under my feet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

You guys do not know how relieved I am to know im not the only one.. I have taken apart my top hats at least 5 to 6 times just to check and triple check. Im certain that I installed it correctly. I then even bought new top hats and still the same pop clunk sound. Its a single, mild but distinct sound. Changing the top hat did not change the sound at all so that's what made me conclude it's not the top hat. I absolutely hate that stupid sound so I'm determined to figure out what cause it. Next course of action is changing out more parts one by one until I dont get that sound anymore.

course of action;

I already ordered the kca313 whiteline roll center kit should be here today, I will install it asap and get an alignment again.. Like someone stated, it could be because the changed geometry of the LCAs since I'm lowered, this should fix that.

If the above doesn't work, I just ordered two new oem front LCA (since there's a black friday sale..LOL), I will change them out.

If that doesn't work, I will change out the springs to Eibach (Will order since it's only $100...). Side note, I noticed the RCE blacks, and Eibach springs have the spring insulators? Anyways, can't find those on ebay or any website :spin:

If that doesn work, I will change out the konis, and see if that's the problem.

Here's a youtube video that got me thinking..

But then, why just one side? Plus I don't think koni shocks have the same design?

I'll try a different top hat if ALL above dont work :mad::mad::mad:

If it's the design of the stock front LCA rear bushings that is the inherent issue, you're just wasting money on those new LCA's. I wouldn't keep throwing money at it the way you have. I would pick up the AVO hard bushings and get those installed. You shouldn't need an alignment after that install unless you go with ones that give you additional caster. I really think that they are the culprit. blklgt05 has had these installed on his 2010 GT since it was almost new and he loves them.

http://www.avoturboworld.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/129

http://www.avoturboworld.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/128

Edited by GTEASER

Interesting. Ever since I lowered my car on the H&R's and installed the Koni's I have had that pop on the left side too. At first it only happened once every week or two when I was turning in or pulling out of my driveway. Now it happens at least once daily, usually multiple times, and it seems louder. Only slow speed stuff like pulling into parking spaces and low speed parking lot maneuvers when turning the wheel significantly. I too have looked all around and cannot find anything weird, loose or visibly worn.

YES! Sounds exactly like mine. Here's something funny tho, If you jack up the car, maybe take off the wheels, go underneath and wiggle things here and there, that pop sound won't come back for a few days. Then BAM! same damn sound.

Just want to chime in that if you're considering swapping out the springs, the Eibach's are still at $92.75, easily the cheapest spring option for us right now. You just have to call Eibach directly to get the price. Part number 7722.140

http://eibach.com/america/en/performance-suspension/closeout

Thank you, I'm on it LOL.

I also get that on the koni/stock springs as well. Only happens on super slow turns or when I am fully stopped. I had AZP check to see if anything was binding and they couldn't find anything either. Regardless they sprayed the car down. i just figured it was something I would live with so I haven't checked if it went away. I will confirm this afternoon

I thought something was wrong with the car as well, I have had 2 shops check and neither has found anything to cause this.

Could this be a product of the koni's on our inserts? Or possibly the tophat isn't quite meant to fit? (I know the rears need to be drilled out a bit)

My rears are perfect, no noise no nothing. Just that one left front side. I wish I could live with it, but it bugs me too much. Get back to us if you figured it out!

I believe it is the lower rear LCA bushing, the hockey puck. The sound for me seems to be coming from down by my feet, and I can feel it there. If the sound still persists after my coilover install, then my next course of action was going to be installing front AVO rear LCA bushings.

You are spot on with where the sound is coming from. I could feel it by my feet!

Sounds like the same noise I had when I put mine in. For me, it came down to the tophat not on correctly plus the torque on the nut at the top of strut. The misalignment was causing a bind when turning. I didn't relize when I put them in like I have countless others, that the H&R springs, to sit right, don't sit in the same indentation up top as the oem did. Was almost 180 degrees off. Plus I think I ended up have to use the oem nut on the top of the strut do to the one that came with the koni's binding on the bearing in the top hat?

I've checked the top hat so many times. ALso, when when you install the top hat incorrectly, it does not make the same noise as what I'm experiencing. Also, if you install the top hat washer incorrectly, it wont make the same sound.

Mine popped a few times this summer, but only when backing up and turning left. Maybe the steering rack binding up?

I thougt about this one too, hence, I got the whiteline kca313 roll center kit to fix the geometry.

Mine did it on the stock suspension and continues to do it on the Koni. Mostly when reversing out of my driveway with the wheel turned right. Definitely coming from the front left, as Gteaser said almost from the area under my feet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I didn't have this problem with the stock suspension at all.

If it's the design of the stock front LCA rear bushings that is the inherent issue, you're just wasting money on those new LCA's. I would pick up the AVO hard bushings and get those installed. You shouldn't need an alignment after that install unless you go with ones that give you additional caster. I really think that they are the culprit. blklgt05 has had these installed on his 2010 GT since it was almost new and he loves them.

http://www.avoturboworld.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/129

http://www.avoturboworld.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/128

damn it, good idea. I'll see if I can still cancel them.

Which do you suggest? It seems that more caster is better for our car? Caster compensates for camber, therefore, I can run less camber but still have the same handling characteristics but less wear on the tires? According to my research at least.

Edited by dohclgt

Honestly I don't know. I have never researched it to make an educated decision on what I would do. More caster helps turn in and high speed stability from what I understand. On my old 240Z I cranked in a bunch of caster with a hard TC rod bushing and it changed the handling of the car dramatically for the better, but the stock geometry was probably already woefully short on caster so anything would help. IIRC, our cars stock but lowered are usually around 5.5 to 5.8 caster. That's not all that bad from what I know.

...are you guys talking about when you back up out of a spot and drive off a bit and there's a thunk noise?

...are you guys talking about when you back up out of a spot and drive off a bit and there's a thunk noise?

Yup. But mine will make that noise going forward while turning without backing up. Weird thing is, it doesn't make any noise going over bumps. I have sped up speed bumps trying to replicate the noise, but nothing. Still can't make that noise on command..