LegacyGT.com

Front license plate question

bikegeek

Couple of quick questions:

1) Just moved from PA to NOVA - (No front plate to front plate required) Is there a bracket that I have to get to mount my license plate? I drove by an Outback this morning and it looked like the plate was simply screwed into the bumper.

2) Any suggestions for a good dealer in NOVA? I live in Fairfax, work in Manassas.

Thanks!

Pretty sure there are just holes to mount the front plate, atleast I think thats the way mine is.

As for dealers, I haven't come across any that I like. But the one I've heard the least bad things about is Don Beyer Subaru in Alexandria.

Welcome to the area. Where in PA are you coming from?

Pretty sure there are just holes to mount the front plate, atleast I think thats the way mine is.

Thanks - that's what it looked like when I passed the OBXT this morning.

As for dealers, I haven't come across any that I like. But the one I've heard the least bad things about is Don Beyer Subaru in Alexandria.

I guess that's a start!:p

Welcome to the area. Where in PA are you coming from?

Moving back to NoVa after 4 years in Bethlehem, PA.

I can tell you to avoid Stohlman in Herndon, service dept there is no good; I've had numerous bad experiences with them. My recent trip to Stohlman in Tyson's was tolerable.

I think most people would agree on Don Beyer though.

Ah, I spent a few years in Selinsgrove.

there is no front plate bracket, you just need to screw it into the bumper. I used a thick piece of foam I picked up from a arts and crafts store and cut it to the shape of my plate so i didnt scratch the front bumper. I also used one in the rear just for sh*ts and giggles.

there is no front plate bracket, you just need to screw it into the bumper. I used a thick piece of foam I picked up from a arts and crafts store and cut it to the shape of my plate so i didnt scratch the front bumper. I also used one in the rear just for sh*ts and giggles.

Good idea - that's part of the reason I thought there might be a bracket (and the other concern of my plate bending back as I go super fast! :lol:)

Any tips on the length/type of screw you used?

• 5 weeks later...
I can tell you to avoid Stohlman in Herndon, service dept there is no good; I've had numerous bad experiences with them. My recent trip to Stohlman in Tyson's was tolerable.

I think most people would agree on Don Beyer though.

Ah, I spent a few years in Selinsgrove.

I'll second your comment about the service at Stohlman in Herndon. Now I bought my '99 Impreza there, back when they were Paul Brothers Subaru, and the sales team rocked. Service was always sub-par, IMHO.

Now, Stohlman of Tyson's has been good for service. One thing that's impressed me is, everything they've fixed for me was done right the first time.

One time they did mis-diagnose something, and it would've cost me $1200 had I listened to them. They also charged me an hour's labor for the diagnosis. Instead, I got an independent shop (Precision Import Service, in Merrifield) to properly diagnose the problem for no charge. They also fixed it for me, to the tune of about $350. I was irate with Stohlman, and wrote the service manager a letter. They handled it VERY professionally, had no problem refunding the diagnostic charge, and apologized profusely. They also said the tech who'd done the work was no longer an employee. So their professionalism has kept me going back.

I just recently moved (back) to the area, and I've been very disappointed with Stohlman in Tyson's. My wife's Outback needed a cat replaced, so she took it to Herndon, and they fixed it, no problem. She has a 100K warranty, and they honored that. When she threw a CEL the next week, we took it to Tyson's since it was closer. They wouldn't honor the warranty, as they don't have a contract with the company. Then why does Herndon? $94 just to pull the code, $650 for a fuel sensor, and they wanted to charge her $550 to replace brake pads and flush the brake fluid!

I came here from Colorado, so I was very spoiled with Suby service there, as there are more Subies than anywhere else in the country. I had a great tuner, awesome mechanics at various private shops, etc. Unfortunately, we just don't seem to get that here.

I did like my dealings with Don Beyer when I bought my 99 Outback in 2000 there. Great sales, etc, but I must disclose I'm friends with the GM, so I'm a bit biased.

There is also a JDM produced bracket that mounts to the inside bottom horizontal surface of Subies to keep from putting holes in the fascia of the bumper cover.

I saw it for a mere $120.00 and thought, wow the dealer saved me some money by predrilling my car.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

Archived