LegacyGT.com

Front license plate bracket?

Hi All,

When I bought my 06 LGT I asked the dealer to not put on the front plates because I did not want the holes in the bumper.

Well, I played with fire and got burned. I was pulled over today for not having a front plate and was wondering if the dealers just screwed on the plates to front bumper or was there a bracket screwed on first.

It looks like Subaru sells a bracket for ~$20 but I don't want to pay for one if I can just ask the dealer for the bracket they were originally were supposed to put on.

Also, has anyone in VA had any issues with their license plate placed in the front window instead of screwed on the bumper?

Thanks,

John

I've driven by plenty of cops without my front tag on. I ran into some trouble with a speed limit sign and it bent the plate. I took it off and haven't put it back on.

How much was the citation for?

I just got it this morning and he told me the state of VA does not put the fine amount on the ticket.

I have to call or go to the website to look it up. I figured since I just got it this morning its not in the system yet.

He also got me for not having a VA state license, DOH!!

Nope! I bought my car right when I moved to VA and the dealer registered it in VA for me. I've just been lazy, but I am moving back to Maryland in a couple of weeks for a month while my Townhouse is being built in Gainesville.

Mine was already sitting at the dealer, so it was drilled and had dealer advertising on it :mad::mad:

Don't drill yours just because you got pulled over! Buy a roll of 3m double sided foam tape with the RED backing and tape your plate on. If the plate and the bumper are clean, It WILL NOT come off unless you want it to. I've been taping my plates on for years with that stuff. It looks a bazillion times better than rusty screws or a frame or bracket, and you know that you did not permanently ruin your bumper just for a plate.

I have gotten hassled and ticketed in my other cars for no front plate (it IS the law here anyways) So I put the LGT's on too.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1063835&postcount=77

Hmmm...heres a question for you guys. I bought my Spec B in Tennesee, and I may be wrong here, but it seems like it's an entirely different bumper than those states with license plates? Theres no "indent" for the plate...so how would i get a plate on? Do the tape thing like the above guy said?

I think you can still get a ticket for having your plate in the window. It probably depends if that cop cares or not.

On my other car I never put on the front plate because I didn't want to drill the bumper. I live next to two county cops and below two state troopers, but clearly they don't care.

3m double sided foam mounting tape is made for holding side moldings on. It will not let go if the surfaces are clean and dry when installed. Mine lived many years through freezing winters and 95 degree summers. just an option if you want a smooth look. Even if you use the front mounting holes, I still recommend a strip of foam tape under the plate so that it does not scratch against the bumper. Only the top two holes are used on the front unless you use the ugly oem bracket that is optional.

I'm pretty sure you have to drill holes if you use a mounting bracket. At least the $4 one I got at Wal-Mart was that way...

Also, I like the 3M tape idea but do you have problems license plate theft where you are? I guess if they want the plate they will take the 2 - 4 screws out anyway but at least they won't be able to just grab it and run. Here in Saudi Aurora, CO I had the plates stolen off my WRX...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/HotRod03/IMG_4286.jpghere's the front bracket that I created the plate sorta floats on the front end, and I can take it off for meets and pics... I prefer it to mounting it into the bumper...

some people use really strong magnets...

Archived