LegacyGT.com

Front Diff Fluid Change

I did the rear a couple days ago and it was as easy as an oil change. The front a little more complicated.

First, I will say the rear fluid was much dirtier the the front.

Here is the thread I followed, particularly posts 7 & 8.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/front-rear-differential-fluid-change-244314.html

On to the front. First you have to drop the front under body plastic panel. Now I'm careful as anyone and those plastic fasteners are just a PITA. Once the panel is gone yo can start the real work.

The drain plug is a 70mm Torx. Had a tough time finding one. I hit several stores before I found one at Pep Boys.

1321807649_FrontDrainPlug.thumb.jpg.ead15d390140246553c42ba9b2ac4e49.jpg

The fill plug is accessed from the side, the passenger front wheel has to be removed. It's an 8mm allen and mine was on tight. I needed a small breaker bar to bust it loose.

A couple pics of the drain plug as it came out and then cleaned up.

642379878_FrontDrainPlugDirty.thumb.jpg.56fd3eb536fa21c9ff84296020dfbf14.jpg

832909841_FrontDrainPludClean.thumb.jpg.66fa2cc3efc3a765cdffd33b1b230472.jpg

One quick note - Always loosen the fill plug FIRST!!

What about the overflow plug? I hope you removed it, too.

Had to fill it somewhere!

Did you miss this?

The fill plug is accessed from the side, the passenger front wheel has to be removed. It's an 8mm allen and mine was on tight. I needed a small breaker bar to bust it loose

Did you miss this?

That's the fill plug. I'm talking about the second, "overflow" drain plug ... the one that's connected to a standpipe that is used to determine the proper fill level. If you used the fill plug to set the fluid level, your front differential is now overfilled.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Well, I used that as the fill and put 1 qt, plus a little more, I had a bottle leftover from another car. Nowhere near a quart and a half. I remember the manual states 1.3 qts. I'm probably pretty close as I didn't fill to overflow.

Where is the standpipe you mentioned??

Where is the standpipe you mentioned??

See attachment.

Seriously, anybody who plans to do their own maintenance needs to spend the $35 to download a legal copy of the Factory Service Manual (and a whole lot more valuable technical stuff) from the Subaru Technical Information System web site.

2015_FSM_CVT(TR580)-44-47.pdf

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Archived