LegacyGT.com

EZ30 and Methanol

So I decided to through some methanol in my fuel tank. 4 Liters into a full tank to be exact. Highest octane around here is 94, which is only available from one fuel company. So I run 91. Anytime I turned on logging I would get a lot of knock alerts so I figured I could use some more octane. But since its not convenient to get my hands anything above 91, I started to think about meth injection.

After a bit of googling, seems like running meth on NA, while not that common and not as big of a gain as with forced induction, it can provide some benefits.

This comment from Matt was encouraging also

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17684#p248290

Meth injection would assist with making some power on the EZ30 which has a lot of knock from factory, I would even say meth on a stock tune would make some decent gains

Now I haven't done actual meth injection, yet. It was suggested to me to try with just adding meth to the fuel to see what effect it would have. With the hope it would help with knock. Which it doesn't look like it has.

This is the the data I have thus far. Not exact sure what it all means but here it is. Open to taking any info or advice. Hopefully if anyone else is curious this will provide some answers.

Knock events before meth

https://pastebin.com/g4XH2Efx

Knock events after meth

https://pastebin.com/Wskm5n5H

I have logs too..

First Drive

After about an hour drive (70km) on meth, just normal driving

attachment.php?attachmentid=288089&stc=1&d=1605155484

Just before adding any meth

attachment.php?attachmentid=288090&stc=1&d=1605155484

1478894999_firstdriveonmeth-BtSsm_LV_20201111_1828.png.cc8fd0fa5f710d0675f6bd54b24c4500.png

1539797743_Justbeforemeth-BtSsm_LV_20201111_0914.png.cc3f440a67e8571f0edfc310f2758e59.png

Edited by nevets27

I used methanol injection on a turbo vehicle, I suspect it could work on a N/A motor. It should lower you intake temps down as well. The one issue I see is that methanol is a fuel. I had to remove 10-12% in fuel table at WOT when it is pumping. My engine ran slower when I just installed the methanol without adjusting the fueling in the ECM.

• 1 year later...

For anyone who reads this posting the car is in limp mode.  Do not play with meth until you get enough octane into the tank to keep your IAM to 1.0.  Once your at 1.0, dont add meth to the tank.  SMH.  For an N/A car the gains from meth injection would be minimal.  The risk of damage would be high.  Playing with meth adds a lot of complexity and additional failsafes to your system.  There is a very high potential for leaks, clogged sprayers, etc.  I am not a fan. 

Edited by m sprank