LegacyGT.com

ERR for outside air temp display

My wagon has been showing this intermittently over the past few weeks on the outside air temp display.

I just went out and swapped sensors between both cars. I'll see if the issue pop's up during the week. I most likely won't drive the Spec till sometime next week.

That little sensor can be a PITA to get off the connector. I was able to pop the sensor out of the bracket and then use needle nose pliers to squeeze the clip and pull the sensor off the connector. Had to do that for both cars.

The terminals look clean.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That sensor is a pain in the butt. Maybe not so bad on the 4th gen, but newer vehicles uses that darn thing to everything that you wouldn't imagine as well. And finding a good location for it when designing a vehicle is even worse. (I have wasted 2 years on that)

I hope you figure out what the problem is and is able to fix it. If you are lucky it's just the sensor. If not then you either have a bad connection somewhere or the ECU it's connected to is bad.

453747.png

Today's 32 miles drive to work was uneventful. Yesterday on the 2 mile drive to NAPA, it was having a good time for itself. It would flash for a while, then go to staying on ERR then go back to working normally.

I seem to recall last week it behaved fine all week.

May be it just needed to be unplugged and plugged back in.

More on getting it out of the bracket. I kind of pushed up on the front side as a pushed the bottom catch on the back side and felt it begin to come through the mount hole in the bracket, then squeezed the top catch piece and push down on the sensor and pulled towards me, it popped out of the bracket pretty easy.

Pulling the connector off the sensor was a bit more of a challenge. that thing is really water tight.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Well that didn't take long. Still doing it.

I'll be driving the Spec for the next few day's.

Came around a curve about a 1/2 mile from home and there's a 6" round rock sitting in my path. Couldn't miss it, one bent rim two blown sidewalls. I was able to stop safely.

Called GF to come get me, I got two snowtires from the shed and tools and floor jack, changed the tires and drove it home.

Will stop by Tirerack after work and show them, 2 year road hazard warranty.

I think the alignment is off, I'll get under the car tomorrow evening when its cooler and take a look.

Then to the buddies body shop to see if they can fix the rim. If not, I'll get one from the junkyard.

Ok, I couldn't wait, jacked up the car and found the washer on the bottom of the strut, Koni insert is loose, The hex head screw feels tight but I can see what looks like the bottom of the shock coming through the bottom of the strut.

Edited by Max Capacity

I can't remember what symptoms I had a few years ago, but...

I accidentally damaged one of the wires going to the sensor a few years ago when putting my radiator back into the car, at least I think that's what happened.

My temperature display was doing something funny, either the temperature wasn't changing, or it was showing ERR too... So basically, maybe check the wires?

*Actually, my memory stinks sometimes... You can see in the picture below how the wires are a little chewed up near the connector.. I'm not sure how that happened, but that was the culprit for my problem. I don't think I did that putting my radiator back in after all.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=231117&d=1464391908

Edited by apexi

Ok, I couldn't wait, jacked up the car and found the washer on the bottom of the strut, Koni insert is loose, The hex head screw feels tight but I can see what looks like the bottom of the shock coming through the bottom of the strut.

Both of my front ones are like this, and both rear spring perches have also failed. Not sure if Konis are really up to handling the weight of our cars along with potholes.

I have over 120,000 miles on the Koni's and Epic spring's, I'm pretty happy with them overall. They have taken some pretty good hit's with all the backroads I drive and the way most roads are now day's.

I can't really complain. I see Tirerack has them for $160 if I need one quickly, they have a distribution center about a mile from work.

Yea, At least I have the Spec to drive. Stopped by my buddies body shop and showed him...after getting my dose of harassment, they said the same thing. That poor car.

I got the junkyard strut, asked if they had a veterans discount, he said yes and gave me $15 off, so it cost $50.

Picked up the two new Conti DWS's I'll have to have them shaved, 2/32 needs to come off. Old tires are 8/32 new are 10/32.

Body shop will try the fix the bent rim, if not, two local yards have rims for $80.

DSCN7888.thumb.JPG.b50a0097080a961fdfe2847b25aef872.JPG

DSCN7898.thumb.JPG.0bc1e35747cb63fb29b783b8ac69356f.JPG

DSCN7899.thumb.JPG.64334fcc771f2a48d878e16d76f76bc5.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

Here's the bottom of the strut with the Koni in it, then the junkyard one.

DSCN7902.thumb.JPG.0dbb051aab16bf08828867fa34ee47df.JPG

DSCN7903.thumb.JPG.941095a0144f685dae7b36b8bf1b6a7f.JPG

DSCN7906.thumb.JPG.5f130f1a1be9b279b518b3f4291a8e54.JPG

Had the strut out of the car in about 30 minutes. Had to use a pipe on the end of the 1/2" breaker bar to break the two big bolts loose. A spray of Aerokoil on the two small bolts for the wire and brake hose came out easy with the 1/2" impact gun.

I'll drop the struts off at my trusted mechanic tomorrow and have him change the koni over. The cam bolt had some index marks on it so I'll put it back in the same spot then have the car aligned anyways.

Picked up a junkyard wheel, I'll have it and the other good rim refinished by the body shop. I'll see if he wants to fix the bent rim for free, I figured if I'm going to pay him to fix the bent one, I might as well just get a used one and have it refinished and I know its never been bent. The bent one had some scratches, rash and needed to be refinished any way's.

Just installed the junkyard strut after the trusted mechanic swapped the Koni into it.

Had to chase the threads on the top mount. It came out of the car hard so I figured the studs were out of alignment. Mechanic noticed it too, he said I could adjust it. I used a 12" adjustable wrench to bend the plate back into place. The strut popped right in.

Took about 30 minutes to chase the threads, bend the plate and install the strut. Alignment looks ok. I'll know better after I pick up the refinished wheels and new tires after work on Friday from the body shop.

Then I can get back to figuring out the Err that pop's up on the temp display. I did move the wire around as best I could without removing the radiator. We'll see...

Got the re-painted wheels today. Took the car for a test drive, seems to drive fine no pulling to one side. I'll still have the alignment done by my trusted mechanic.

DSCN7912.thumb.JPG.5d83429aaa223685f01d5581e4cdab63.JPG

DSCN7913.thumb.JPG.70f3210c0e3ed3672b9f32a29b9c028e.JPG

DSCN7914.thumb.JPG.556f9db94855ef665c42f096500c8454.JPG

Oh back to the original issue, I moved the wires the other day, on the drive to work tomorrow I'll see if that worked...

Two day's driving to work, 129 miles, the temp readout read fine , no more Err flashing.

Knock on wood, may be moving the wire worked...

Still doing well, no error flashing in the temp display. Knock on wood.

Pick the car up after the alignment today, drove it 20 miles to home, steering feels more neutral. drive nicely.

Drop the Spec B off to have it's timing belt replaced. It's 10 years old.

• 1 year later...

Well today when I picked the car up from the Dealer for the passenger side air recall again. They told me they could not get the Err to show up in the Combo meter.

I had mentioned it when I dropped the car off. They tried for 20 minutes to see it, but couldn't. They told me they have never heard of this issue.

So of course when I go start the car, its reading 57F, for a few seconds. Then guess what, Err pop's up. I drive back over tot he service bay drop off, leave the car running and say, come here...now do you want to see the Err.

They took a video, called a few of the tech's over to see it. One guy said "its most likely the air temp probe out front". I said no not it. I have already swapped it with the one from my 2009 Spec B. Still does it, guess again. His next thought was a short somewhere.

They are going to look into the system and give me a call if they can come up with a fix.

Thinking it might be better to stop this thread and post in this thread about this issue,

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mpg-displays-err-odometer-flashes-208013p3.html