LegacyGT.com

Engine swap advice

Mods can move this if need be didn't see a spot specifically for swaps (maybe im blind?)

Anyway i have an 01 L looking at sometime in the future on doing an engine swap. Ive been around the normal channels looking at various things and seeing specs.

Goals:

250-300whp (this should be plenty possibly borderline to much for applications imo)

Purpose is for autox or possibly rally (not 100% which one to go with and lets be honest we *don't* build these types of things for street racing)

i dont want to go in a straight line i want to be able to tackle corners. Hence smaller power numbers. Well that and experience.

Question: what in your more experince opinion would be the better option; an EJ207 which, from what ive read, has a stronger block and can rev more OR the EJ257 which will be more easily accesible in my market (USDM) and has better low end but suffers in the boost range (and from what i read is "less reliable" that the 207 in build scenarios) i was considering an H6 swap also but the extra weight makes me leery and I'm leaning more toward a FE setup over a NA setup.

Check Out Max Capacity's Build thread, the link is in his sig. Great info in there.

Stick with a 257 with a correct tune they are generally reliable if you maintain them and not be stupid. It's also much easier to get parts for them locally.

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

For your power goals, an EJ257 with some bolt ons and a tune will easily get you there. Like MaasaiWarrior said, it will be easier to do the swap and will be cheaper in the long run. If you had higher power goals, then I would consider the 207.

Start with a 2002 WRX and you and your wallet will be a lot happier.

You're trying to shove a square peg in a round hole. Yes you *can* drop a turbo mill in a 00-04 chassis but it's metric fuckton of work to do so as they didn't live there in a native (USDM) setting aside from the Baja, which is rare as hen's teeth.

You can piecemeal what you need from other Subaru vehicles but unless you really like your car, there's zero practical reasons for doing so.

Archived