LegacyGT.com

Email notifications?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We are planning to move the site to Invision Power Board (hosted) and expect a whole new site to resolve many longstanding issues.

so how long does it take to transition from the speak n' spell to a palm pilot?

Unfortunately the site is about 10GB of text alone and that's part of the problem. Don't need 15 year old threads of someone selling some struts. Even just purging that down to like 2GB will make a huge difference.

so how long does it take to transition from the speak n' spell to a palm pilot?

A little off topic but could be related.. I swear my post count has just decreased by like more than 1K! I just noticed it now. Am I dreaming? Is it possible that cleaning the database would affect a user post count? Not that I really care about it..

OK, then I understand why the "thanks" button is gone - ongoing work.

Hard to figure out which threads that are more valuable since there are some threads that even though they are old and no longer updated they are interesting. Like the Rotrex compressor build by Tomcat.

453747.png

What kind of posts were deleted?

Forums are wealth of knowledge. As well as trove of "useless" banter - but they are part of our history. Many predict that our times will be the least documented once due to the word being mostly electronic, not even printed anymore. Forums are perhaps trivial in the large scheme of things, and it is hard to expect anyone will preserve them for posterity, it's already I suppose bit of charity work.

Out out curiosity - how big is the forum database?

EDIT: 10GB of text per post above.

Edited by unclemat

There were 16 some years of classified threads that are pretty easy to just purge, along with stuff that's been well hidden under "archives" for years that you probably didn't even know were here. Overall this site is about 1/10th of the traffic it was 5 years ago, and keeping the lights on I'm sort of faced with two outcomes, prune and move to a modern affordable cloud service (and off our own iron), or just let it continue to slowly burn away.

Things like the "Thanks" button were also part of the reason the site slowed down so much, all these things were third party hacks.

We are planning to move the site to Invision Power Board (hosted) and expect a whole new site to resolve many longstanding issues.

Then we'll have plenty of new problems.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited