LegacyGT.com

Electric motor noise in wheel well

We were in the garage last night. Vehicle was off (15 Legacy 2.5i Premium) and my wife heard a noise. It sounded like a small electric motor running, coming from the drivers side rear wheel well. Opened the trunk and back door and couldn't really hear it from either location - definitely the most prominent on the outside, at the top of the inside of the wheel well.

For shits, I started the car. Turned it off almost immediately. Noise was gone.

No clue what it was, but it didn't seem normal and I don't think should have been doing that with the car off.

Any clue what that noise could have been?

See: 2015 Legacy/Outback Owners Manual, page 8. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

See: 2015 Legacy/Outback Owners Manual, page 8.

Well I'll be. Been a while since I've flipped through the manual. Who woulda thunk this one noise would have been something that was actually in the manual!

Thanks for the info!

We were in the garage last night. Vehicle was off (15 Legacy 2.5i Premium) and my wife heard a noise. It sounded like a small electric motor running, coming from the drivers side rear wheel well. Opened the trunk and back door and couldn't really hear it from either location - definitely the most prominent on the outside, at the top of the inside of the wheel well.

For shits, I started the car. Turned it off almost immediately. Noise was gone.

No clue what it was, but it didn't seem normal and I don't think should have been doing that with the car off.

Any clue what that noise could have been?

Its your fuel system cleanse itself.. It periodically runs.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Its your fuel system cleanse itself..

Not quite. It's actually a low-pressure leak test of the evaporative emissions (i.e. fuel vapor) control system.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 5 months later...
If I were you, I'd run a diagnostic. Let the professionals find the problem, it's safer that way. Another way you can solve electrical problems is with the help of an electrician. I had some electrical problems on my car and only the electricians that worked there could help me. I would hire charlotte electrical contractors every time I had an electrical problem, but I moved from there. Still I think they have electricians everywhere around the USA, and I will be able to find them for sure if I ever have a problem again. Edited by BrandonDyer

If I were you, I'd run a diagnostic. Let the professionals find the problem, it's safer that way.
Brilliant!

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is good for the Soul

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆