LegacyGT.com

EJ22 Group!

Oh no, something quite a bit more epic than that.

Currently the car is OBD-1 anyway, JDM's didn't go to OBD-2 till 98, when the BE/BH's came out, and the V5/6 impreza's. And i would have to worry bout that anyway, it's not the longblock that defines the loom, it's the intake manifold, and it's sensors.

Regardless, i'll be buying a Ver 8 STi engine and loom, with AVCS on the intake and exahust cams. Converting the car to Ver 8, then dropping the 2.2 Short-block in there, and running on an aftermarket ECU.

Don't forget just how different the Japanese Domestic Market is mate :p

• 3 weeks later...
!996 legacy L 2.2 single port heads - gotta love this engine, runs strong w. 4eat in this fairly lightweight car. UEL header, light crank pulley, suspension mods, etc. - 194,000 mi., Planning on rebuild when this motor gets tired, (no signs yet). New pistons, headwork, Delta cams, - I know I can make NA power with this engine. - Have grown fond of BD legacy body style.

94 legacy ej22 and a 96 legacy ej22

Is there a difference in these engines?

The 1994 is a Phase I version. It uses an OBDI ECU, where as the 1996 is OBDII. The 94 uses a different cylinder head design with a different valve angle. The 96 has a redesigned piston with a shorter skirt that reduces weight. The valvetrain is also different on the 96. The 94 has a compression ratio is 9.5 : 1 and the 96 is 9.7 : 1, which eliminates the clearance between the fully open valve and the piston at TDC, which means the phase II motor is an interferance engine. If the timing belt breaks the engine will probably self-destruct. The phase I engine is a non-interferance engine, which means if the timing belt breaks the engine will just stop running.

I purchased an 85 gl wagon with hi/lo 4wd for 900 dollars. The mileage is 114000+. I am going to install a weber. Any objections with the weber?

Why I asked about the ej is I have a 94 lecacy l with 280,000+ on the engine. I bought the 96 legacy ej, with a mileage of 130000+, for two hundered dollars. I am going to use the 94 as a donor for a custom project. I am thinking rebuilding the 94 ej is a better route. I found a hi/lo out of an 86 brat for 100 dollars with 86,000 on it (mabey...) for the transmission.

i think the ej22 can be made to be a power house, the impreza 22b had an ej22 twin turbo and it was a monster. guys making tons of power outta their WRXs stroke them to the 2.2. that engine has the reliablity of the 2.0 with a higher displacement, i would rather have that than my 2.5

I am giving a 1946 willys jeep a hi lo transmission with a stock rebuilt 94 legacy l ej22. I am not going with the awd, but want to convert to the 15" wheels. I think the ej's stock hp rating will be more than ample to move the willys.

I am not exactly sure how I am going to do the wheel conversion yet so if anyone has some pointers I am all ears.

I disagree that the EJ22 cannot be made to produce good HP and torque numbers.

The EJ22 can be made to make enough torque and HP to satisfy the daily enthusiast, and it will do so with way better reliability than the pre-2005 EJ25. It will take money, but it's possible.

These engines are used in VW conversions all the time, as well as light aircraft and dune buggy's. It's not because they are powerful, it's because of their proven track record for longevity and mid-range torque. They also take well to modifications. How many 1998 EJ25 engines have you seen with 300K miles on original head gaskets? None.

Edited by Platinum_Racing

A good swap is the older EJ25 GT DOHC naturally aspirated heads.

The EJ22 N/A is of a different deck design that isn't fully closed, so while boosting it is possible, its not a very good idea, especially on an older motor with miles on it. You could run a couple pounds and be alright, but you would run the risk of burning up already tired piston rings and/or head gaskets. You would also need to make your own turbo kit from franken-parts online, mis-matching headers with turbos, cutting and welding flanges and piping, fabricating mounts and brackets, and routing intake hoses. Good luck finding a good spot to fit an intercooler. EJ22 turbo parts would bolt right on, but anyone with an EJ22T motor would most certainly not want to part it out. You'd have better luck swapping the motor for an already turbocharged one with a fully closed deck.