LegacyGT.com

How to drain fuel tank?

Has anybody ever tried draining their fuel tank? Some cars have drain plugs on the bottom. Do LGT's have these, and if so, is there any reason not to do it on our cars? I haven't looked myself yet, but will later on tonight or tomorrow. Any feedback ahead of time would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Sergei

For future reference: 2 methods that I used:

1. Remove rear seat cushion (just pops off), remove fuel pump cover, which is on the passenger side and held on by 4 Phillips screws. Then disconnect the middle fuel line (one of the ones pointing towards the front of the car) and use a long fuel hose to route the fuel to an empty canister. This method is especially useful if you're about to do a fuel pump install.

2. Remove the bottom hose that's connected to your fuel filter (right by the fuse box) and slip on a long fuel hose.

In both cases you need to connect the green plugs to put the car into test mode and then turn the ignition to the ON position (but don't crank) and then the fuel will start flowing.

-Sergei

^^Isn't the fuel filter just the "sock" at the end of the fuel pump inside the assembly? I wasn't aware of an additional filter... Do the test connectors really need to be connected? Doesn't the fp prime with key 'on' anytime?

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

The sock filter in the fuel pump is there to just filter out the big shit (like rocks). There's a fine particle filter under the hood. It's a square-ish black box with fuel lines going in and out of it, right by the fuse box.

You have to put the car into test mode. If you turn the car on without this, the pump will only prime for a couple of seconds. In test mode, it keeps cycling.

-Sergei

The sock filter in the fuel pump is there to just filter out the big shit (like rocks). There's a fine particle filter under the hood. It's a square-ish black box with fuel lines going in and out of it, right by the fuse box.

You have to put the car into test mode. If you turn the car on without this, the pump will only prime for a couple of seconds. In test mode, it keeps cycling.

-Sergei

Totally incorrect. Not on 05-09 Legacy. There isn't underhood filter. What you're seeing there fuel pressure regulator/by-pass valve (on 05-06 LGT). The fuel pump assembly contains the filter AND the sock.

Not sure exactly, but 04 or so and later Impreza also has the filter in the tank, not under the hood.

Totally incorrect. Not on 05-09 Legacy. There isn't underhood filter. What you're seeing there fuel pressure regulator/by-pass valve (on 05-06 LGT). The fuel pump assembly contains the filter AND the sock.

Not sure exactly, but 04 or so and later Impreza also has the filter in the tank, not under the hood.

That's right. It's the FPR not fuel filter. It's still the black box by the fuse box, I was just incorrect about WHAT it was.

I didn't see any fine particle filter when I took apart the fuel pump assembly though, just the sock.

-Sergei

That's right. It's the FPR not fuel filter. It's still the black box by the fuse box, I was just incorrect about WHAT it was.

That's a minor difference anyway! :lol:

I didn't see any fine particle filter when I took apart the fuel pump assembly though, just the sock.

-Sergei

Need to look harder next time! :lol: It's enclosed in top part of the bucket. It's actually serviceable element and can be replaced (with the part of the bucket).

That's a minor difference anyway! :lol:

Need to look harder next time! :lol: It's enclosed in top part of the bucket. It's actually serviceable element and can be replaced (with the part of the bucket).

Are you talking about the top cap, which has the fuel line connectors and the main harness connector? I didn't need to take that portion of the pump assembly apart during the Walbro install.

The fuel filter and FPR are practically the same thing ... blood brothers :p

-Sergei

• 7 years later...
I know this is super old, but still very relevant. I'd like to drain 5gal out before I go to the track. Is it a 2-person job? In other words, if I put the hose in a jug and turn the key on, will it eject itself out of the jug and shoot all over the place like a loose fire hose without someone holding it? I assume it's 42(ish) psi out of the small hose at that point since it's post FPR?

No idea what I'm doing wrong. I connected to the lower line as this thread says, which I also confirmed in the service manual. Hooked up a line to the tank side of the lower delivery line and left the engine side disconnected. Connect the green connectors and turn on the key, the gas can starts filling, but then gas starts pouring out the engine side of the delivery connector as well. With a series setup, that suggests fuel is coming from the tank on the return? How can that be?

Archived